Thread: Strip and paint for C150 gear legs

Strip and paint for C150 gear legs

Found an old thread and have maintenance manual. Looking for company in central Florida that can soda, crushed glass, bead or new age blast my gear legs. But first I have to remove the step clips that are epoxied on! How the heck to I get them off so I can inspect under them?????? I'm afraid I'll damage the gear leg trying to remove them. Hints anyone??
    Thanks.

Do you know what adhesive product was used to attach them? There are many that can be released with heat, but others won't budge.

For example, Kitfox used to specify a 3M Scotch-Weld product. My project had a damaged elevator push-pull tube that I wanted to replace. The end fittings had been glued in with Scotch-Weld and they wouldn't shift even with direct and sustained application of a propane torch. I buggered them so badly in the attempt that I had to purchase new. The Loctite EA9460 Hysol that Kitfox currently uses is much more forgiving (or so I've been told).

You might try a heat gun, but I'd be cautious with a torch on something like a gear leg. That much heat might alter it's mechanical properties.
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

The original adhesive used was 'Conley Weld' which was standard but was dropped by Textron some years ago. I don't know what they use now but it isn't that. I'm afraid I'll damage the legs trying to knock the bracket off, or use a method that will change the underlying characteristics and strength. Conley was bought some time ago and I can't find much info at all about what might overcome the adhesive. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.