Thread: A cautionary tale regarding Solidworks

A cautionary tale regarding Solidworks

Thought I'd share this so that others don't go down the same path.

Like many, I was blindsided by the move from the Student version of Solidworks to the Maker version, and my Student license expired while I was in the middle of a project (stamping die for my partner's engagement ring).

Ok, fine. I'll purchase the Maker version.

I then found that it lacked the 2.5 axis machining feature and is unable to open files created in anything other than Maker Edition (CAM had been added a while back, admittedly).

Posts here, Solidworks' forum, and on Reddit suggested doing.... nefarious things to convert the files to a neutral format so that Maker Edition could open them.

Well, I had little luck with that. And received a call from Solidworks demanding $17,000.

That they orphaned my fully licensed designs was irrelevant, and they had no suggestions as to what I should have done to get the part files ported over. Maker can only open Maker files, and that's the end of the discussion.

Sounds like extortion to me, but is what it is. The reseller they connected me with has seen this happen fairly often, BTW.

The story ends with me forking over $7,000 for the Standard edition to avoid it being handed off to their lawyers, which is not a yearly license unless I want updates and support (so it will continue working for a long while, in theory). The 2.5 axis machining feature is only good for a year, so I guess once that expires I simply port my designs to a neutral format to pull into the Maker Edition I paid for in order to generate toolpaths. Total PITA, but $99/yr is much less than what the cam package costs.

So, yeah. Don't follow that sort of advice, as Solidworks is not nice about it.

That's rough buddy. Yea SW is bad for that. I hear if the device is connected to the internet it phones home. They see you didn't pay for it and sick the hounds on you.

Atleast now anything you design in SW you can sell.

Hmmm, strange indeed. I have been able to open and edit all of my SW Ed files with Maker edition with no issues. I have full edit capability on those Ed files. Ed files are marked with the Ed icon as they have for decades but doesn't hinder anything else.