Thread: handicap pass

handicap pass

Have a friend coming to Oshkosh this year.
    Use to be a regular
    Has Parkinsons now and has to use one of those small electric carts to get around
    He wants to make one last trip to Oshkosh before he dies
    Question--how does he get a pass to use his handicap cart on the grounds
    Thanks in advance

If it's a single seat electric chair (your "hoverround" type). Then he just comes through the gate with it. There's no pass needed.

If it's something like a segway, then it needs to be checked by security at the gate and he may have to show some sort of handicapped pass. The EAA got sued over this about ten years ago and have settled with the feds on the procedure for this.

If you want to rent on on site, Vista Mobility does that near the main gate. Best to reserve it in advance 877 588 4782 ext 2.

I use a 4 wheeled mobility scooter (bad knees) - no issues, just drive right in after the quick security check of my backpack.
    "Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

I use a stand up electric scooter for long distances, they are an approved device under ADA laws as an Other Powered Mobility Device. Last year I got turned away at the gate with it, even with my handicap parking pass as proof of disability. I don't want to talk down on any volunteer, they do an amazing job, but I think I got one that wasn't quite familiar with ADA laws and OPMDs. And the kicker was vendors were riding the same device all around without a care in the world. I'm early 40's, so no matter where I go, I get ugly looks because of my age and my handicap pass. This year I reached out to EAA customer service, who got me in touch with EAA legal counsel, and they approved my device for use on the grounds. If anyone has any issues at the gates, they can always go this route.

Yep, member services (800) 564-6322 is helpful, but this should still not have happened. The failure of the EAA to handle this is a violation of their consent decree from a federal lawsuit. There should be people at the major access points (Main Gate, Ultralights, Warbirds/North 40) who know how to approve these conveyances. If they don't, suggest they call security, whom is also well aware of the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by jb1842 View Post
    I use a stand up electric scooter for long distances, they are an approved device under ADA laws as an Other Powered Mobility Device. Last year I got turned away at the gate with it, even with my handicap parking pass as proof of disability. I'm early 40's, so no matter where I go, I get ugly looks because of my age and my handicap pass. This year I reached out to EAA customer service, who got me in touch with EAA legal counsel, and they approved my device for use on the grounds. If anyone has any issues at the gates, they can always go this route.
    I am sorry you had an unhappy experience last year. Someone got over-zealous in the ongoing legitimate attempt to keep unauthorized conveyances out of the grounds, not an excuse but a reality. The gods know we have more than enough problems with the 'authorized' ones - lol I'm glad you understand that the segway type rigs just don't "look like" ADA machines.
    "Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

I completely understand safety concerns EAA has. I was almost taken out by some underage kid on a golf cart on the grounds years ago. Like I said, I must have gotten a volunteer who wasn't well versed in the law, and I wasn't about to argue with them. I was prepared to go scorched earth this year if the same thing happened and I saw the same device used by the non-handicapped on the grounds. But I'm glad that EAA has shown that they care about their members.