Thread: Easy questions on first time to Camp Scholler

Easy questions on first time to Camp Scholler

Hello, newb questions coming. They should be easy, but I can't find a clear answer.

1. How would you best describe Paul's Woods? Great area for tents/early arrivals/fills up quick, but what else is it? What am I missing?
    2. What is Audrey's Park? I see it on the map, authorized camping only, not open to the public... but what is it?
    3. 101 woods... on Google Maps, it looks pretty secluded, by "camp bacon"... same question, what is this?
    4. What's the difference between a WIFI hotspot and WIFI Station? These are terms that probably deserve definitions on the EAA maps.
    5. Golf carts - I recall seeing golf carts in the past, but not seeing anything that exclusively allows or prohibits them.
    6. "Self Leveling Scooters" are not allowed, but Segways are? What about OneWheels? They're not "self leveling", better described as a motorized personal transportation device. Are these allowed in Camp Scholler?
    7. Bike Corrals - what can be checked into the bike corrals, just bikes? BYO security devices?
    8. Are there any food vendors or food trucks at Camp Scholler, or just within the EAA grounds? I see a food truck by the fly-in theater on google earth, is that the only area and is it open/available prior to the start of the big event?
    9. Bring your own fire pit and find firewood locally? like a solo fire pit, would that work? DNR has rules on how far you can travel with firewood, so source it somewhere in town or does camp scholler have wood available? Are fire pits even common at airventure?

1. General camp sites with trees and the most coveted Camp Scholler location due to the trees and proximity to the flight line and everything else inside inside the fence. Guaranteed at this point it’s already full.
    2. IIRC it’s primarily the handicap camping area, but not 100% sure.
    3. Basically the more distant version of Paul’s Woods.
    4. IIRC, the WiFi stations have electricity and double as charging stations.
    5. The rules say anything unlicensed is prohibited, but I’ve seen golf carts and side-by-sides in camp Scholler. Whether they were licensed or not is debatable, but as long as you aren’t doing something stupid my guess is no one will check too closely.
    6. No idea
    7. Don’t know—What’s a security device? The corrals are just open areas set aside for parking bikes since you can’t take them into the show.
    8. No food venders in Scholler outside of the theater. Of course limited groceries are available at the camp stores.
    9. Yes, yes, the Scholler campstores have firewood as do places in town, and IMO more common with the RV crowd than the tent crowd, but even then I’d say they’re only moderately used probably in the more trouble than it’s worth category.
    Last edited by Auburntsts; 07-14-2022 at 12:39 PM.
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

Just a couple of add-ons to previous response..

1. Short walk to entry gates, view of airshow depending on where you find a spot, very nice shade. We go to Scholler opening day to get one up close.
    2. Audrey's park is a year-round campsite.
    5 & 6. You will see every type of motorized vehicle in Scholler. Mini-bikes, mopeds, golf carts, 3/4 wheelers, side x side, gators, motorized couches and coolers (not kidding). If being respectful and it's not too noisy, it probably goes unnoticed.
    7. In the past the bike corral also contained many of the motor vehicles mentioned above. They did start narrowing the entry of the areas to try to keep it to two-wheeled transportation. Yes, bring your own bicycle lock.
    8. Yes, there were a few food trucks by the 50% off building (also near the Fly-In theatre entrance). There is also the Sacred Heart food booth outside of the main gates by the bus park. They used to have a food vendor just outside the Red Barn camp store years ago. I don't think I saw it the last few years however.

Have a great time! You will learn a bunch about the whole experience and come back next year ready to expand. We started in 1999 for 2 days with a tent. Now it is 10 days, camper, screen tent, picnic table, pop-up tents, bikes, golf cart, two planes, etc. It grows every year...

Great answers and thanks for extra context! We've camped a few times under the wing, but this is the first RV trip -anywhere -ever. Looking forward to a week of vacation as much as spending time in Oshkosh. Thanks again!

The woods are just that - a man made area with mature trees for tent and trailer camping. Paul’s Woods fills up on the first day. 101 Woods is further out and is starting to fill. Audrey’s Park seems to be a mush-mash of mega volunteers, old friends of the Poberezny’s, donors and whatever. I’ve asked the same question just out of curiosity and have never gotten the same answer twice. I’m not sure EAA could answer the question.
    EAA is cracking down on minors driving vehicles. There is signage everywhere stating you must be a licensed driver. In Wisconsin scooters of 50cc and less are unlicensed. UTVs are also considered roadworthy in many counties.
    There are several Red One Markets inside the campground to buy food and supplies. To my knowledge there are no food vendors permitted in the camp ground. The only exception is the Chapter Pavilion where various chapters put on pancake breakfasts every morning……please support. No worries, Walmart, Target and Pick nSave grocery are just a short drive away.
    Wisconsin DNR has rules about transporting firewood. Most of the trees on the grounds are ash and are getting hit hard with the ash borer blight.
    Bring your own bike lock. Last year some folks even lost their generators. On Sunday when the show ends, scavengers enter the camp ground and will take anything that’s not tied down. So beware, despite the 99% who are there to enjoy the show there is always the few bad apples.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

Papa Murphy's has had a pizza trailer outside of the Fly-In Theater for the past couple of years now, well within Camp Scholler.