Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tons of Newbie Questions Going to AirVenture in RV (New to both RVing and AirVenture)

Quote Originally Posted by CHICAGORANDY View Post
    I would suggest giving the Chicago Metro area a WIDE berth due to 24hr traffic concerns. Perhaps take 355 or 294 - but do NOT go near the downtown area.
    From the southwest, if your route says to get that close to Chicago, instead stick to I-39 (combines with I-90 in Rockford) into WI, then US-151 from Madison.

Quote Originally Posted by Auburntsts View Post
    1. People use things like stakes with rope or boundary/barrier ribbon/tape you get at Home Depot/Lowes to mark the perimeter of their site. Typically you’ll only see sites marked from people that came on or about the day Camp Scholler opened, staked their claim, and are paying for that site for the entire month.
    2. Dunno. Generally I don’t think people move RVs from their site once they are in-place unless they absolutely have to. I’d just slip some credentials into a plastic baggie and attach the baggie to a stake. Then leave some artifacts behind that the site is occupied (bikes, chairs, a cooler, etc). If your neighbors are around you can also ask them to help guard your site from poachers.
    3. The Vintage Ron is referring to is the Vintage aircraft camping/parking area. For you in Scholler, the shower houses are where to plug your electronics in to charge. When you are at the show, in addition to Vintage, here’s a list of other charging stations you can use:

• EAA Four Corners Tents
    • Aviation Gateway Park
    • Hangar A, B, C, and D
    • Aeroplane Workshop
    • Blue Barn
    • Museum Fergus Plaza
    • KidVenture
    • Helicopter Operations
    • Red One Market Central
    • Ultralight Cafe & Runway
    • Warehouse
    • Main Gate

Theses locations are annotated on the grounds map: https://www.eaa.org/airventure/plan-...ture-trip/maps
    Awesome! Thanks... I was just worried about leaving a $500 Jackery Battery charging unattended but I guess I will trust it and just leave a sign. The reason is we need to charge devices overnight in the RV but I understand I cannot run the generator after 10:30 PM. Also my plan is to hopefully not have the move the RV unless I REALLY have to. I will try to fill up water and dump out anything and top off the fuel just before we arrive at Camp Scholler . But just in case I will bring steaks and the ribbon/tape like you stated...

What might be the closest place before getting to Camp Scholler where I would be able to fill up water and dump Grey and Black water tanks?
    -----------------------------
    Jean-Marie Vaneskahian
    Allen, TX

Quote Originally Posted by keen9 View Post
    From the southwest, if your route says to get that close to Chicago, instead stick to I-39 (combines with I-90 in Rockford) into WI, then US-151 from Madison.
    Thanks!! I just updated my travel map with that route. Much appreciated.
    Jean-Marie Vaneskahian
    Allen, TX

Quote Originally Posted by CHICAGORANDY View Post
    I almost forgot - bring a sense of adventure, a sense of humor, a bag full of patience and GOOD rain gear. Half the clothes and twice the money is always sound advice - lol
    Hahahaha!!! I think that is a GREAT suggestion... Sadly twice the money is the norm everywhere, not just AirVenture.
    Jean-Marie Vaneskahian
    Allen, TX

Quote Originally Posted by Airmutt View Post
    Prime camping real estate, such as Paul’s Woods, pretty much goes on Camp Scholler opening day. Everybody has their “favorite” location based on their needs and wants. Basic camp sites are not laid out, only the fire lanes and are first come first served. A site is considered a 20x30 plot. There are exceptions for oversized campers. If you stake out too much turf, Security will move your markers. Pay attention to the lay of the land. Some areas can get pretty mucky if it rains.
    I’ve been volunteering and most of the sites near the Red One Barn / bike park are taken.
    There is a Walmart just a couple of miles up 41 which is great for whatever you forget.
    Camp ground traffic gets routed along the frontage road to Exit 113. Exit 116 near the museum is pretty much hammered by the day parking people. Navigating that area can be very time consuming. I would avoid.
    Be prepared to walk - a lot!! Welcome to Oshkosh.
    Thanks for the information! So when I arrive with the RV, what is the correct entrance I should take... I think I have it as "3400 Poberezny Road, Oshkosh, WI, USA" (Poberezny Road and Schaick Ave). Is that the right place to come into Camp Scholler? Once in, I know I have to go to registration. Does that mean I do not first find a spot? Do I just drive around until a find a nice spot that is not steaked / marked off and then just park there?
    Jean-Marie Vaneskahian
    Allen, TX

Unless this has changed significantly last year or for this year, camper registration (your first entrance) will be via Neunteufel Ave. Part of registration will be a card you affix to your window that allows you to easily come in and out through the gate at Schaick (and elsewhere).

https://goo.gl/maps/TfmC1RLM6TLTroUw8

The process on arrival is as you describe: get in line at registration. Pay, get your credentials and such - then drive around to find a spot.
    Brian K. Schermerhorn

Quote Originally Posted by BrianS View Post
    Unless this has changed significantly last year or for this year, camper registration (your first entrance) will be via Neunteufel Ave. Part of registration will be a card you affix to your window that allows you to easily come in and out through the gate at Schaick (and elsewhere).

https://goo.gl/maps/TfmC1RLM6TLTroUw8

The process on arrival is as you describe: get in line at registration. Pay, get your credentials and such - then drive around to find a spot.

Perfect!! I think I am beginning to understand the process much better. I appreciate the google maps! Makes it much easier to understand where to come in. I guess I am all set. I am am curious though, since I already paid for the camp scholler, why not send you all the info in the mail like they did with the wristbands for the main event and skip the registration office?
    Jean-Marie Vaneskahian
    Allen, TX

Enroute camping

Quote Originally Posted by btaz View Post
    As far as places along the way, look at "Harvest Hosts". Far a reasonable annual fee you get access to various "Point of attraction" for free overnight stays(Wineries, breweries, farms, museums, etc.)

There is an app called "Gasbuddy" to help you identify best fuel options along the way.
    I recommend you go to a Camping World and purchase their campground guide. You can pick out campgrounds along your route, check their amenities, and call ahead for reservations. They have very good step-by-step guidance to the campground. They all have dumpstations and you can choose a basic site or with power, water, and sewer.

As far as charging your phones, my family often runs the generator for a little while in the evenings, with their phones plugged in to the RV to charge. I leave mine plugged in to my camper overnight; if I wake up during the night, I might unplug it. But it draws next to nothing from the RV battery. I also carry a little portable charger around the grounds in my backpack, in case I need some extra juice.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Burgemeister View Post
    I recommend you go to a Camping World and purchase their campground guide. You can pick out campgrounds along your route, check their amenities, and call ahead for reservations. They have very good step-by-step guidance to the campground. They all have dumpstations and you can choose a basic site or with power, water, and sewer.
    I did not even know that existed! I found a Camping World about 51 miles from my home. I will take a trip this weekend and learn all about it. My plan was to look for big service stations like Loves and Flying J and stay there... I do not want to move too far from the Interstate because I have never driven a 30' RV (or any RV) and am not sure how comfortable I will be driving around town. I will go check it out!

Thanks!
    Jean-Marie Vaneskahian
    Allen, TX