Hello all, I just wanted to ask some probably very basic questions about camping at EAA AirVenture Oshkosh and RVing services / logistics. My name is Jean-Marie Vaneskahian and my son, and I are renting a 30’ RV from Cruise America and driving from Dallas, TX to Oshkosh to attend our first AirVenture! We have never rented or even been in an RV! I have been learning as much as I can from websites and YouTube videos. I was looking for advice and answers to some probably basic questions. I really appreciate any help on any of the topics that you can give.

My intentions:

1. Pick up RV on Wednesday July 20th
  2. Leave for Oshkosh from North Dallas, TX on Thursday morning July 21st
  3. Overnight at RV friendly stops (need to learn what / where those are between home and Oshkosh), any advice?
  4. Fill up fuel, water, and propane as close as possible to Oshkosh before arriving at Camp Scholler
  5. Arrive in Oshkosh Camp Scholler Saturday July 23rd (Standard camp site with no power / no water / no sewer… Boondocking)
  6. Stay in Oshkosh Camp Scholler without moving the RV at all from the camping spot until Sunday July 31st

My Questions:

1. On the drive from Dallas to Oshkosh
    1. What are the best kinds of places to overnight and stay in the RV that are not far from the main highway? RV Campsite? RV Self Park? Gas Station? Truck Stop?
    2. What are places I can fill up fresh water and dump black and grey water?
    3. What is the closest spot to Oshkosh Camp Scholler where I can get fuel, fresh water, and dump waste?

2. What is the best time of day to arrive at Oshkosh Camp Scholler?
    1. What if I arrive at nighttime?
    2. Is Camp Scholler closed at certain hours?
    3. Can I find / pick a spot in the dark?

3. What is the process once I arrive at Camp Scholler?
    1. Do I have to check in anywhere?
    2. I paid for my Camp Scholler stay on the EAA website already, are there passes I have to display?
    3. Do I just pick any spot I want or do they direct traffic to your designated spot?
    4. Will I have to back into our spot or will I be able to drive into it?

4. If during the time we are at Camp Scholler (Saturday July 23rd - Sunday July 31st ) we need RV services, (fresh water, dump out black and grey water) what are our options?
    1. How hard would it be to drive the RV to the RV Dump Station located on Stits Road, south of Cedar Avenue (I read that this exists on the EAA website) and make it back to the RV site? How do I make sure no one parks at our site while I do this if it is possible?
    2. I read online that there was an RV Holding Tank Service that can be purchased at Red One Market Central. How does this service work? Do they just come to the RV and empty the waste tanks and refill the fresh water? Do I have to be there when they arrive for this?
    3. Is there a way to get fuel for the RV if needed? (I am thinking if we need to run the generator during the day for electric power and it uses up fuel)

5. Where to charge up batteries? Can we leave devices unattended at a charge station and not have them stolen (like portable battery packs)? What are our options?
  6. We are considering bringing bikes to bike from Camp Scholler to the entrance of the main EAA AirVenture Event. What gates or entry point would we bike to? Is there a place to lock up the bikes there?
  7. Where at Camp Scholler is the best / closest place to park get to the entrance gates to the events?
    1. Is it better to park close to the showers or a market?

8. What items should I plan on bringing for the RV trip and Oshkosh? I have a list of some things, but wanted to make sure I did not miss anything:
    1. A wagon to go back and forth to the market
    2. Camping folding chairs
    3. Bug spray / sunscreen
    4. Hats / Caps
    5. Large Battery packs with a sign that has our names and contact details when we leave them charging
    6. Gloves for changing grey and black water tanks
    7. Towels, toiletries, sandals for taking a shower at the showering facilities at Camp Scholler
    8. Bikes on a bike trailer to go from Camp Scholler to the entrance to the main EAA AirVenture events. Bike locks.
    9. Backpacks with water bottles to carry around stuff while at AirVenture
    10. Flashlights
    11. Ear Plugs
    12. Rain Poncho and zip lock bags for electronics
    13. Extra pair of comfortable shoes and sunglasses
    14. Is a cooler needed if I have the RV?

That is everything I could think of asking. I am sure I forgot something and might have more educated questions as I get replies to these. I cannot thank everyone enough for any guidance and help on making our first RV trip ever and our first trip to Oshkosh EAA AirVenture a special one! We are both VERY excited!

Thanks again,
Jean-Marie and Marty Vaneskahian