Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tons of Newbie Questions Going to AirVenture in RV (New to both RVing and AirVenture)

Question Tons of Newbie Questions Going to AirVenture in RV (New to both RVing and AirVenture)

Hello all, I just wanted to ask some probably very basic questions about camping at EAA AirVenture Oshkosh and RVing services / logistics. My name is Jean-Marie Vaneskahian and my son, and I are renting a 30’ RV from Cruise America and driving from Dallas, TX to Oshkosh to attend our first AirVenture! We have never rented or even been in an RV! I have been learning as much as I can from websites and YouTube videos. I was looking for advice and answers to some probably basic questions. I really appreciate any help on any of the topics that you can give.

My intentions:

1. Pick up RV on Wednesday July 20th
    2. Leave for Oshkosh from North Dallas, TX on Thursday morning July 21st
    3. Overnight at RV friendly stops (need to learn what / where those are between home and Oshkosh), any advice?
    4. Fill up fuel, water, and propane as close as possible to Oshkosh before arriving at Camp Scholler
    5. Arrive in Oshkosh Camp Scholler Saturday July 23rd (Standard camp site with no power / no water / no sewer… Boondocking)
    6. Stay in Oshkosh Camp Scholler without moving the RV at all from the camping spot until Sunday July 31st

My Questions:

1. On the drive from Dallas to Oshkosh
      1. What are the best kinds of places to overnight and stay in the RV that are not far from the main highway? RV Campsite? RV Self Park? Gas Station? Truck Stop?
      2. What are places I can fill up fresh water and dump black and grey water?
      3. What is the closest spot to Oshkosh Camp Scholler where I can get fuel, fresh water, and dump waste?

2. What is the best time of day to arrive at Oshkosh Camp Scholler?
      1. What if I arrive at nighttime?
      2. Is Camp Scholler closed at certain hours?
      3. Can I find / pick a spot in the dark?

3. What is the process once I arrive at Camp Scholler?
      1. Do I have to check in anywhere?
      2. I paid for my Camp Scholler stay on the EAA website already, are there passes I have to display?
      3. Do I just pick any spot I want or do they direct traffic to your designated spot?
      4. Will I have to back into our spot or will I be able to drive into it?

4. If during the time we are at Camp Scholler (Saturday July 23rd - Sunday July 31st ) we need RV services, (fresh water, dump out black and grey water) what are our options?
      1. How hard would it be to drive the RV to the RV Dump Station located on Stits Road, south of Cedar Avenue (I read that this exists on the EAA website) and make it back to the RV site? How do I make sure no one parks at our site while I do this if it is possible?
      2. I read online that there was an RV Holding Tank Service that can be purchased at Red One Market Central. How does this service work? Do they just come to the RV and empty the waste tanks and refill the fresh water? Do I have to be there when they arrive for this?
      3. Is there a way to get fuel for the RV if needed? (I am thinking if we need to run the generator during the day for electric power and it uses up fuel)

5. Where to charge up batteries? Can we leave devices unattended at a charge station and not have them stolen (like portable battery packs)? What are our options?
    6. We are considering bringing bikes to bike from Camp Scholler to the entrance of the main EAA AirVenture Event. What gates or entry point would we bike to? Is there a place to lock up the bikes there?
    7. Where at Camp Scholler is the best / closest place to park get to the entrance gates to the events?
      1. Is it better to park close to the showers or a market?

8. What items should I plan on bringing for the RV trip and Oshkosh? I have a list of some things, but wanted to make sure I did not miss anything:
      1. A wagon to go back and forth to the market
      2. Camping folding chairs
      3. Bug spray / sunscreen
      4. Hats / Caps
      5. Large Battery packs with a sign that has our names and contact details when we leave them charging
      6. Gloves for changing grey and black water tanks
      7. Towels, toiletries, sandals for taking a shower at the showering facilities at Camp Scholler
      8. Bikes on a bike trailer to go from Camp Scholler to the entrance to the main EAA AirVenture events. Bike locks.
      9. Backpacks with water bottles to carry around stuff while at AirVenture
      10. Flashlights
      11. Ear Plugs
      12. Rain Poncho and zip lock bags for electronics
      13. Extra pair of comfortable shoes and sunglasses
      14. Is a cooler needed if I have the RV?

That is everything I could think of asking. I am sure I forgot something and might have more educated questions as I get replies to these. I cannot thank everyone enough for any guidance and help on making our first RV trip ever and our first trip to Oshkosh EAA AirVenture a special one! We are both VERY excited!

Thanks again,
    Jean-Marie and Marty Vaneskahian
    -----------------------------
    Jean-Marie Vaneskahian
    Allen, TX

As far as places along the way, look at "Harvest Hosts". Far a reasonable annual fee you get access to various "Point of attraction" for free overnight stays(Wineries, breweries, farms, museums, etc.)

There is an app called "Gasbuddy" to help you identify best fuel options along the way.

Can I park my RV at a Walmart store? While we do not offer electrical service or accommodations typically necessary for RV customers, Walmart values RV travelers and considers them among our best customers. Consequently, we do permit RV parking on our store parking lots as we are able.

Note - they also sell just about everything you might want or need on a road trip - plus indoor plumbing. just be courteous and park the big rig out of the way of the shoppers.

I would suggest giving the Chicago Metro area a WIDE berth due to 24hr traffic concerns. Perhaps take 355 or 294 - but do NOT go near the downtown area.

I 'assume' you've already memorized the EAA info - lol - https://www.eaa.org/airventure/plan-...BoCkycQAvD_BwE
    Last edited by CHICAGORANDY; 07-05-2022 at 09:52 AM.
    "Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Camp Scholler has a dump station and water fill at the south gate. No charge. When you first arrive you go to the main gate/registration building. They will issue your camping credentials (they will also be able to sell you admission and EAA membership if you don't have these). If you're prepaid, that just means you don't have to pay again. You still have to get your credentials. They'll have it all in their computer. To my knowledge, this is open 24/7 continuously during the show. I do recommend you get there during daylight though, for practical purposes setting up. Once inside, it's pretty much a free for all as near as i can tell. Find some place not already marked out. There might be some people to assist you (I don't know, the times I've done this I've come up with my EAA chapter and they had my space taped out for me in their "compound" already. The spots vary based on what's already around you. You may be able to pull through or you might have to back in.

As stated, there's a dump station down at the southside. You can go to it and even leave the field entirely during the show. You mark out your spot with your camping credentials so people know you're coming back. There's a separate card that goes in your window that lets you back through the gates when you return. There is indeed a FOR FEE fill/pumpout that will come to your site. Don't know much about it (I was a tent camper).

All around the shower buildings are outlets and people tend to leave things there. Vintage runs a charging booth for a nominal fee at the red barn if you're paranoid.

For bikes, there's a massive bike parking area at the gate between Scholler and the main show (right up near the exhibit buildings/Theatre in the woods). You can chain up there. No bikes permitted in the show proper.

Arriving on the 23rd, you're probably going to have to take what you can get. You won't be exactly "close" to anything. However, it's not all that far (in fact, it's an easier walk than much of the regular auto parking or even shuttle bus landing). There are shuttles within Scholler I believe as well.

Wagons are handy. They are permitted. Folding chairs are handy for watching the airshow. Please do not leave them set up and unattended. They can blow into aircraft. You definitely need sunscreen and bug spray (especailly for night airshow, mosquito is the state bird of Wisconsin).

@FlyingRon, thanks so much for your very detailed and thoughtful response! It answers many of my questions, but it does create some new ones.

1. How are areas "Marked Out"?
    2. If we want to leave to go to the dumping station or get fuel offsite, how do we "Mark Out" our area with our credentials?
    3. What is this "Vintage" that you reference? is it a place or company that I can pay to keep my big charger plugged in?

This was VERY helpful... thanks again!
    Jean-Marie Vaneskahian
    Allen, TX

Quote Originally Posted by btaz View Post
    As far as places along the way, look at "Harvest Hosts". Far a reasonable annual fee you get access to various "Point of attraction" for free overnight stays(Wineries, breweries, farms, museums, etc.)

There is an app called "Gasbuddy" to help you identify best fuel options along the way.
    That is a great point! I totally forgot about GadBuddy!!! Ans thanks for the Harvest Hosts tip! I will look into it...
    Jean-Marie Vaneskahian
    Allen, TX

Quote Originally Posted by CHICAGORANDY View Post
    Can I park my RV at a Walmart store? While we do not offer electrical service or accommodations typically necessary for RV customers, Walmart values RV travelers and considers them among our best customers. Consequently, we do permit RV parking on our store parking lots as we are able.

Note - they also sell just about everything you might want or need on a road trip - plus indoor plumbing. just be courteous and park the big rig out of the way of the shoppers.

I would suggest giving the Chicago Metro area a WIDE berth due to 24hr traffic concerns. Perhaps take 355 or 294 - but do NOT go near the downtown area.

I 'assume' you've already memorized the EAA info - lol - https://www.eaa.org/airventure/plan-...BoCkycQAvD_BwE
    I was thinking of just using the WAZE app for avoiding traffic... But that brings up a good point, is there a better app for Interstate driving to find big truck stops or places with tall awnings to fill up along the route?
    Jean-Marie Vaneskahian
    Allen, TX

Quote Originally Posted by PiperWarriorII View Post
    @FlyingRon, thanks so much for your very detailed and thoughtful response! It answers many of my questions, but it does create some new ones.

1. How are areas "Marked Out"?
    2. If we want to leave to go to the dumping station or get fuel offsite, how do we "Mark Out" our area with our credentials?
    3. What is this "Vintage" that you reference? is it a place or company that I can pay to keep my big charger plugged in?

This was VERY helpful... thanks again!
    1. People use things like stakes with rope or boundary/barrier ribbon/tape you get at Home Depot/Lowes to mark the perimeter of their site. Typically you’ll only see sites marked from people that came on or about the day Camp Scholler opened, staked their claim, and are paying for that site for the entire month.
    2. Dunno. Generally I don’t think people move RVs from their site once they are in-place unless they absolutely have to. I’d just slip some credentials into a plastic baggie and attach the baggie to a stake. Then leave some artifacts behind that the site is occupied (bikes, chairs, a cooler, etc). If your neighbors are around you can also ask them to help guard your site from poachers.
    3. The Vintage Ron is referring to is the Vintage aircraft camping/parking area. For you in Scholler, the shower houses are where to plug your electronics in to charge. When you are at the show, in addition to Vintage, here’s a list of other charging stations you can use:

• EAA Four Corners Tents
    • Aviation Gateway Park
    • Hangar A, B, C, and D
    • Aeroplane Workshop
    • Blue Barn
    • Museum Fergus Plaza
    • KidVenture
    • Helicopter Operations
    • Red One Market Central
    • Ultralight Cafe & Runway
    • Warehouse
    • Main Gate

Theses locations are annotated on the grounds map: https://www.eaa.org/airventure/plan-...ture-trip/maps
    Last edited by Auburntsts; 07-07-2022 at 04:16 AM.
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

I almost forgot - bring a sense of adventure, a sense of humor, a bag full of patience and GOOD rain gear. Half the clothes and twice the money is always sound advice - lol
    "Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Prime camping real estate, such as Paul’s Woods, pretty much goes on Camp Scholler opening day. Everybody has their “favorite” location based on their needs and wants. Basic camp sites are not laid out, only the fire lanes and are first come first served. A site is considered a 20x30 plot. There are exceptions for oversized campers. If you stake out too much turf, Security will move your markers. Pay attention to the lay of the land. Some areas can get pretty mucky if it rains.
    I’ve been volunteering and most of the sites near the Red One Barn / bike park are taken.
    There is a Walmart just a couple of miles up 41 which is great for whatever you forget.
    Camp ground traffic gets routed along the frontage road to Exit 113. Exit 116 near the museum is pretty much hammered by the day parking people. Navigating that area can be very time consuming. I would avoid.
    Be prepared to walk - a lot!! Welcome to Oshkosh.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun