Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tons of Newbie Questions Going to AirVenture in RV (New to both RVing and AirVenture)

Quote Originally Posted by Serenity_Valley View Post
    As far as charging your phones, my family often runs the generator for a little while in the evenings, with their phones plugged in to the RV to charge. I leave mine plugged in to my camper overnight; if I wake up during the night, I might unplug it. But it draws next to nothing from the RV battery. I also carry a little portable charger around the grounds in my backpack, in case I need some extra juice.
    I wanted to do that too! My only concern / question was will the Cruise America 30' RV provide power (even from the battery) when the generator is off. I did not think so. If it does then we can charge our phones even at night while we sleep. Also, could I, if needed run the generator during the day while we are away and come back later and turn it off. That scares me a bit, but might be a viable option. As long as no one would steal the Jackery battery, then the best option is to leave it charging at a charge station with a sign and a label on how to contact me.
    -----------------------------
    Jean-Marie Vaneskahian
    Allen, TX

You've probably seen them, but the traffic maps here are useful in relation to the campground.

Maps (eaa.org)
    Brian K. Schermerhorn

Here's what I do with chargers: sometime early in the day when I walk onto the grounds I drop it off at the charging station at Vintage. They charge devices for a donation, so throw them a couple dollars. It's always staffed and treated like coat check, you'll get a claim ticket and such. It's secure compared to just charging stuff at a public charging station.

Then at the end of the day, I stop by to pick it up and it's fresh for charging devices overnight. Depending on your charging battery you may not need to do this every day.

I'm not sure if your Jackery batter is too big for that process - it works fine for my Anker power bricks and the like.

The other option is to be strategic about when you run your generator. Charge your battery in the AM while you're having breakfast and getting ready, or when you're back for midday break. It depends a lot on your own daily schedule and needs.

I am a firm believer in "Oshkosh culture" and I know stuff can be left out at shower houses and such. But also, why tempt fate?
    Brian K. Schermerhorn

Quote Originally Posted by PiperWarriorII View Post
    I wanted to do that too! My only concern / question was will the Cruise America 30' RV provide power (even from the battery) when the generator is off. I did not think so. If it does then we can charge our phones even at night while we sleep. Also, could I, if needed run the generator during the day while we are away and come back later and turn it off. That scares me a bit, but might be a viable option. As long as no one would steal the Jackery battery, then the best option is to leave it charging at a charge station with a sign and a label on how to contact me.
    This is a good point; the standard outlets in your RV won't provide power unless your generator is running. I should clarify, my little camper has a car charger-type outlet, which is what I plug my phone into.

I wouldn't recommend leaving a generator running while away from your campsite all day. It's a little unsafe, and probably poor camper etiquette.

I have a 2019 Forest River Salem that has USB ports in several places. I have used them for charging off the battery. I have friends with older campers that installed USB ports also. I also have solar panels to keep up with battery when not near the site. Installing ports might solve your problem.

Shoes. Good shoes.

I charge my hearing aid charger and my usb battery while working during the day and then use them to recharge things at night.