Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Concert?

Quote Originally Posted by turtle View Post
    It's not just the local crowd. There are lots of posts asking "what else" is there for my wife or kids to do. Not everyone has a family that wants to be force fed airplanes 24/7. You're left with a choice of separate vacations or not going. Non-aviation things keeps families from getting bored.

The hardcore members (real members, not the >50% who join just to camp or get cheap tickets) are not the target audience of concerts and other fluff.
    I don’t see how any of this is EAA’s problem. They aren’t responsible for providing non-aviation oriented entertainment. It’s up to you to figure it out for your situation.
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

Quote Originally Posted by Auburntsts View Post
    I don’t see how any of this is EAA’s problem. They aren’t responsible for providing non-aviation oriented entertainment. It’s up to you to figure it out for your situation.
    There are a myriad of non-aviation vacation fun things to do in that area of Wisconsin within an hour's drive or so of the airfield. I would not expect a single-purpose event like AirVenture to cater to things beyond that single purpose. Here's a good place to start -

https://www.visitoshkosh.com/plan/visitor-guides/
    "Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

I guess $20 million in admissions isn't enough for a third rate band from the 70's.
    If the goal was to support third rate bands I would agree. If EAA spent our member dollars on a third rate band instead of numerous other things that are aviation or directly convention related, I'd be upset with the organization.

It's not just the local crowd. There are lots of posts asking "what else" is there for my wife or kids to do. Not everyone has a family that wants to be force fed airplanes 24/7. You're left with a choice of separate vacations or not going. Non-aviation things keeps families from getting bored.
    I can't believe that one lousy 2 hour concert is going to make the difference for the people you are describing. If they ain't havin' fun at convention, then the concert isn't going to suddenly make them believers. Ford isn't going to be there with ANY of their "attractions", so the concert is just one piece of that puzzle. Other things come or go each year. I am pretty sure EAA and the convention will survive. If no concert is the deal breaker for someone, I think they're missing something (or maybe everything!)
    Cheers!

Joe

If you are unwilling to take ownership of your problem and seek entertainment enjoyable for your entire family in the local area, not sure that anyone here can help. I’m not a lonely old guy nor do I care to exclude anyone from the event. We initially came as a family and car camped until our plane was finished and then camped with it. Now my kids are grown and it’s just me and my wife, and we still fly in but not stay in a rented RV in Sleepy Hollow. I simply see no need for EAA to cater to anyone that isn’t satisfied with what AirVenture offers. Again that’s your problem not ours or EAA’s. Don’t like like it, don’t come or find a way to make it work—pretty simple actually.
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

Well 'Turtle', I'm assuming you won't be in attendance this year owing to the many negative factors you have ably detailed. There may well be many others of the same opinion as yours who also will find other amusements for the last week of July rather than being in Oshkosh. Life is a series of choices, and everyone gets to make their own. Just as I am assuming that there will still be tens of thousands of others who wouldn't miss it for the World, high motel bills, expensive gas and all. I personally anticipate my trams will be full every day with many smiling faces, mine included.
    "Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Bummer about the concert, though neither myself or any of my friends have ever attended. Usually that late in the evening we're exhausted from walking around all day and sitting at a restaurant somewhere enjoying some Spotted Cows.
    I'm sure there won't be any shortage of entertaining activities at AirVenture this year

Don't forgot the excellent movie lineup at the Fly-in Theater!

Quote Originally Posted by N3kf View Post
    Just saw another post that said Ford, who sponsored the concert has completely pulled out of non auto events.
    I didn’t see that post, but that’s disappointing. They had some of the best SWAG too.
    A big item for EAA and Young Eagles is they provided the custom car for the Gathering of Eagles auction which regularly brought in 6 figures, and over $4 million since the first one in 2008. They’re still listed on the web site as a gold sponsor, but there’s no date on that page so it may not be current.

i see at https://www.expocadweb.com/22eaa/ec/...5.aspx#fpPanel
    that Boeing / Jeppesen have taken over Ford’s old location, and their former location is empty.
    You can change the 22 in that web address to 21 to see last year’s site layout.
    Last edited by PaulDow; 07-03-2022 at 07:46 PM.

I saw the 2022 YE Mustang just last weekend. From what I understand they will have no physical presence at AV but are still doing some sponsorship but on a “limited” basis. Nothing against EAA just a change in Ford’s policy.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

I suggested Margy attend the "What's new in notions" forum once. The results were not pleasant.