Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Concert?

Concert?

Hi,
    will there be a concert this year?

Frank

Still a victim of COVID, I believe.

COVID indirectly through the sponsors financial situation maybe.

Theresa Eaman and Ladies for Liberty will be performing at EAA AirVenture Oshkosh 2022.

But, the opening concerts are a thing in the past as EAA has said it is not returning. If you got the money to bring the concerts back, then they might return.

Just saw another post that said Ford, who sponsored the concert has completely pulled out of non auto events. They saying Boeing will be where the Ford Pavilion was. So no concert going forward.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

I guess $20 million in admissions isn't enough for a third rate band from the 70's.

At some point the EAA needs to take ownership of the event and do what's good for the members and public. Yes, it's a fundraiser, but losing the concert is just another reason for people not to go. When the rest of your family or friends are not complete propeller heads, the list of enticements keeps getting shorter. The concert was a reason to go early. The night airshow is a reason to stay until thursday. If it's going to be just a trade show of stuff you've seen before and can't afford, no point in sticking around for more than a day or two.

Quote Originally Posted by turtle View Post
    I guess $20 million in admissions isn't enough for a third rate band from the 70's.

At some point the EAA needs to take ownership of the event and do what's good for the members and public. Yes, it's a fundraiser, but losing the concert is just another reason for people not to go. When the rest of your family or friends are not complete propeller heads, the list of enticements keeps getting shorter. The concert was a reason to go early. The night airshow is a reason to stay until thursday. If it's going to be just a trade show of stuff you've seen before and can't afford, no point in sticking around for more than a day or two.
    Hmmm, I guess there's always differing viewpoints. Our problem is the opposite of yours-- there's so many events that we've got schedule conflicts and can't go to every evening activity that we'd like to-- first world problems I suppose. We have enjoyed the concerts in the past, but their demise has zero impact on our decision to go or not and I'd personally prefer that EAA not spend any money on it in the event a future sponsor doesn't materialize. When we first started coming to Osh, it was all about the airshow, looking at potential stuff to buy for our project, and of course looking at planes. It's still about looking at planes, but now a decade later and with the plane flying, it's mainly about seeing old friends (and making new ones) from across the country and the social interactions that take place. Heck we even flew in during 2020 when the show itself was canceled and still found a ton of stuff to do in the local area. We're also going to volunteer for the first time. So I guess my point is, the experience is what you make out of it.
    Last edited by Auburntsts; 06-29-2022 at 11:42 AM.
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

I've never been a fan of the band. It's not much of an interest to me at an airshow. It was an attempt to draw some of the local non-aviation crowd in early in the week.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    I've never been a fan of the band. It's not much of an interest to me at an airshow. It was an attempt to draw some of the local non-aviation crowd in early in the week.
    I agree Ron. I don't think there was a huge bump in attendance just because of the concert. I was going to the convention long before they had opening-day concerts, and I'll continue going now that the concert is defunct. Won't miss it a bit. I'm guessing most of the other long-time attendees feel the same way.

See ya in a few weeks!!
    Cheers!

Joe

It's not just the local crowd. There are lots of posts asking "what else" is there for my wife or kids to do. Not everyone has a family that wants to be force fed airplanes 24/7. You're left with a choice of separate vacations or not going. Non-aviation things keeps families from getting bored.

The hardcore members (real members, not the >50% who join just to camp or get cheap tickets) are not the target audience of concerts and other fluff.