Thread: Helmet recommendations for an open cockpit gyroplane

Helmet recommendations for an open cockpit gyroplane

I am looking to purchase a helmet for my AutoGyro MTOsport 2017 gyroplane (open cockpit) and would like some recommendations. My flight instructor recommends the Flycom FH-1V-GA helmet, manufactured in the United Kingdom. I borrowed one and found it to be comfortable and communications were very clear. I would like to try on other helmets but don’t know where to go. Everything seems to be online anymore. Does anyone have experience with the Flycom helmet? Any other recommendations? I live in southeastern NJ. Thanks.

There are multiple vendors of new and used flight helmets.

aviationhelmets.com is in CT.

Bonehead Composites is in CA

flighthelmet.com is in MD

Lift Aviation is in WI

There are others, including some that have ultralight specific products. I am an airplane guy so you may want to apply your Google-fu to find them.

For what its worth I fly with a helmet that does not have built in comms and put a Clarity Aloft headset under it. Great noise protection.

Best of luck,

Wes

Regardless of which vendor you choose make sure you mention that you’re buying a helmet for rotorcraft use. The suspension systems between a fixed wing and rotor wing helmets are very different by design.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

Wes,

I'm thinking of using a helmet with my Clarity Aloft too. What helmet are you using? I tried a Bonehead but the sides pushed uncomfortably on the earbuds.

Dave

I use the classic leather helmet in the biplane now, but I was very happy with the Comtronics helmet I used when I was flying ultralights.

I fly with a Bonehead Guner over my Clarity Aloft. I had to try a couple of Clarity ear piece sizes to find the most comfortable ones. And I sometimes have to adjust an ear bud after sliding the helmet on. You might have to do the same.

Best of luck,

Wes