Thread: Wingtip Camera on Fly Baby

Wingtip Camera on Fly Baby

Stuck a GoPro on the wingtip of my Fly Baby today....

Ron Wanttaja

Thanks for sharing AND for picking music this old man's ears can tolerate. lol

What do you use to mount the GoPro?
    "Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by CHICAGORANDY View Post
    Thanks for sharing AND for picking music this old man's ears can tolerate. lol
    It's getting harder to do; YouTube has some pretty thorough copyright checking. I've got some old videos still online that use movie music, can't get away with that anymore. Have some recordings from the World War 1 era, these partially trip the copyright nanny but since they over a hundred years old, copyright doesn't apply.

Quote Originally Posted by CHICAGORANDY View Post
    What do you use to mount the GoPro?
    Wing is set up for navigation lights. Disconnected them years ago...flying as Sport Pilot, no panel or landing lights in any case. Removed the light from the right wingtip, installed a 1/8" plywood plate with an extension to lift the camera high enough to clear the wing.
    Name:  Gopro wingtip mount panel lores.jpg
Views: 747
Size:  83.5 KB
    Ron Wanttaja
    Last edited by rwanttaja; 06-05-2022 at 10:11 AM.

Depends on the arrangement with the publisher. I used the James Bond theme over the video of me flying the (water) jetpack and all they did is insert an advertisement for ordering the music.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    Depends on the arrangement with the publisher. I used the James Bond theme over the video of me flying the (water) jetpack and all they did is insert an advertisement for ordering the music.
    Yeah, it's kind of weird. I'm getting notices that some countries won't be able to play the music due to a copyright conflict. But it looks like it works in the US, at least.

I moved the camera to video the UNDERside of the wing, instead of the top. Should have aimed the camera further down, but what the heck.

About halfway through the video, you see our local volcano, Mt. Rainier, slide across the horizon.

Ron Wanttaja

I've used current copyrighted music in most of my videos, only once was the sound supressed, at least for US viewers.

Yet when we livestreamed our daughter's wedding for people who couldn't attend a few years ago, youtube muted the sound when a copyrighted song came on in the background. Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    I've used current copyrighted music in most of my videos, only once was the sound supressed, at least for US viewers.

Yet when we livestreamed our daughter's wedding for people who couldn't attend a few years ago, youtube muted the sound when a copyrighted song came on in the background. Go figure.
    Probably depends on who is most-strongly protecting their copyrights. There was a news item a few weeks ago that cops were playing Disney soundtracks when they interacted with people...on the belief that if anyone tried to post a video of their actions to YouTube, the copyright function would inhibit the audio.

All three of the videos I've posted on this thread are listed as "Copyright Claim," even though two are over 100 years old. The latest one uses Glenn Miller, and that's the one that says it won't play in some countries. All three seem to run normally, at least here in the US.

I tried to post a video using soundtrack music from a relatively recent movie (''Born on the 4th of July") and that got solidly squashed. Might be that John Williams music is closely monitored, like Disney. Might be that more-modern music is wrapped up, too.

Ron Wanttaja

Maybe the movie soundtracks are more controlled, unlike popular songs that already have wide airplay on radio with the associated licensing structure in in place. Most of mine use classic rock or folk music, the only one that was suppressed used a Steely Dan instrumental track which I then replaced with the Duke Ellington original.

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    I moved the camera to video the UNDERside of the wing, instead of the top. Should have aimed the camera further down, but what the heck.
    I made another flight yesterday, and aimed the camera a bit lower and widened the field of view. Short video, only ~13 seconds.

Two things, here. First, remember that the Fly Baby's gear is totally rigid...no spring struts, no oleos, no bungees. It's really obvious in the physics of the landing.

Second, watch the shadow of the rudder after touchdown. Really working to keep the plane straight....

Ron Wanttaja