Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: EVTOL... ultralight... I would like to discuss this with interested members

EVTOL... ultralight... I would like to discuss this with interested members

Hello members... I need some help,

I am building an EVTOL that I designed to fit into the FAA ultralight category. I would like to get in touch with other members that have interest in this sort of thing and share/ pass along information on power systems, flight control systems/auto pilot, batteries, etc.
    After building and testing three quarter scale prototype variations, I have started construction on a full-size prototype. All the CAD work for this design is now complete, and I have started the CNC work and the construction of the plugs for the full-scale body shell and panels, etc.
    My background in aerodynamics, composite construction and plug / mold building makes creating the final Carbon Fiber shell and panels relatively straight forward. I however fall short in the knowledge of the electronics and flight control set up, etc. needed for its operation. The simplistic design takes off vertically and transitions into forward fight and then transitions back again for landing. It can also be flown as just a conventional aircraft with great short field capability.
    Looking forward... I need to decide on the power system and batteries, flight control system/auto pilot and several other more general aspects of the build.
    I am hoping there are members with an interest in EVTOL ultralights and we could all get together.
    I look forward to hearing from you.

Steven

Was that 3/4 scale or three different quarter scale prototypes?

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    Was that 3/4 scale or three different quarter scale prototypes?
    Hi,
    I built 3 different, quarter scale (25% size)... prototypes...
    Used a simple Futaba radio control system. It works fine for these small versions which proved the designs but the full size will need a commercial flight control system/batteries/ heavy lift power systems/auto pilot/redundancy, etc.. what I really need is to find a person or company that I can consult with on the areas I am not knowledgably in.
    Last edited by justsomeguy; 04-04-2022 at 07:47 PM.

You do understand about Reynolds numbers and the like? Power and lift do not scale linearly with size.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    You do understand about Reynolds numbers and the like? Power and lift do not scale linearly with size.
    Yes, I am a mechanical engineer with a extensive background in aerodynamics. I have chosen a tried and true high lift (ultralight) airfoil with the stall characteristics where I need them and I am OK with the higher drag it has as I am not going for speed. My calculations and double checking with NASA calculations, for the final projected weight the stall speed in airplane mode falls within 18.2 and 20.4 MPH.
    The aerodynamics, construction and flight characteristic are not where I need the help, it is the electronics, flight controls, batteries, etc. I have researched all of this and have found various sources.
    I am in need of an experienced person to help me wade thru all the info, etc. and choose wisely...

Thank you for the response. I hope you can help me.

Hi justsomeguy. The project seems to be very interesting, so can you share some photos?
    Last edited by spaceman; 04-27-2022 at 02:31 AM.
    Do it yourself and you will get the best result!
    Gearmotors from HVH industrial distributor!

You might try the Lindbergh Foundation or VerdeGo Aero.
    Last edited by dougbush; 04-16-2022 at 12:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
    The aerodynamics, construction and flight characteristic are not where I need the help, it is the electronics, flight controls, batteries, etc.
    The battery is the thing that everyone designing an electric aircraft needs help with. Currently available batteries just don’t have the energy density that most designs need. VTOL applications, even more so. Just consider the time, money and engineering expertise that has gone onto the Opener Black Fly, then look at its payload and range. https://opener.aero/pages/about-us

Good luck with your project.

BJC

It comes down to refined fossil fuel having about 60 times the energy per pound vs the current battery capability. And as fuel is consumed the conventional aircraft gets lighter, battery planes stay the same weight. No doubt viable AND competitive e-planes will be created one day, or powered by some other competitive energy source. But I suspect I'll never live to see that day.... maybe my 40+ yr old kids will?
    "Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by CHICAGORANDY View Post
    It comes down to refined fossil fuel having about 60 times the energy per pound vs the current battery capability. And as fuel is consumed the conventional aircraft gets lighter, battery planes stay the same weight.
    I keep seeing this claimed as a major disadvantage of electric aircraft, but just don't see it. A typical one hour flight in my Fly Baby means the plane is ~3% lighter at landing than takeoff. Big whoop. Design-wise, it's actually an advantage...one no longer has to store the "fuel" along the center of gravity, nor take off with a plane whose CG changes in flight.

I keep imagining a newspaper editorial written in 1904..."The Wrights have invented a ridiculous form of transportation. Not only are the passengers exposed to the elements, they have to lie flat during the entire journey and not move, lest the machine become unbalanced. Though, admittedly, the journeys are short since the machine can only fly a few hundred feet. In comparison, a gentleman traveler may board a train in New York and arrive refreshed in Chicago a day later, enjoying a comfortable berth in a Pullman, dining luxuriously, smoking the odd cigar, a Wright aeroplanist and his ground caravan carrying gasoline, bamboo, linen, engines, and mechanics would be barely approaching the New York State borders."

Give 'em time, folks. There's a LOT of research going on to improve battery energy density, and it'll trickle down to aviation.

Ron Wanttaja