Thread: Upside down, inside out and backwards

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wink Upside down, inside out and backwards

When I was building stick and tissue paper models and trying to fly them with twisted rubber bands double-knotted I found some magazine articles about aerobatic aircraft. Though I never read about a Fokker or a Camel with an inverted flight fuel tank I was certain I would need one to the kinds of flight I would be motivated to try. Time passed. I lost my baby fat but other than becoming a good sprinter, my unusual attitudes were limited to crashes on my bicycle. On special day I saw kids riding over a recently dumped muck pile where the over the top had been smoothed by the truck tail gate. I decided to show off how ar I could jump after topping the pile. Backing way up, I got up to speed and when I met the pile I was surprised that instead of being like a ramp it was like a scoop and I flipped over high in the air, backwards, in a back flip where I landed almost straight down and bent the forks back to where I had to push the bike home. It was a new bike.
    Time passed again and I was in a dorm hallway where two Amateur wrestlers lived at the University. They encouraged me to try to stand on my hands and fulfill that bargain that maybe would give me an inverted tank and safe flight lessons. I used the arm chair and the wall to flip back and put my feet against the wall, then stretch my feet up. Eventually, I could walk on my hands all the way down the hallway and back to my room door. My second year I took Physics and in Advanced Calculus, the instructor announced by name that a student I recognized as my previous year's Chemistry lab partner had killed himself over the Christmas holiday with a gun. My Physics Lab partner was a pre-nursing coed. I walked her to her dorm one day all the way across the Diag on my hands. I avoided the mandatory Organic chemistry for a major and declared myself a Physics major. I had avoided advanced placement earlier as well as Engineering. Mathematic became my most prolific subject. Inside Out? That was rebuilding a Chevrolet V-8 engine using stock Corvette parts. My father was just as against hot rods as he was unwilling to let me fly with our family doctor in his Piper "Cub. California is where I found employment in the aerospace industry and it was in 1969 I met development of the AGILE missile and a computer program from McDonnell for the FX that was flexible enough I could modify it to fly 3-dimensional profiles. Hooray! At the top of a extension and an oblique loop, I could be upside down and counter a tighter turning opponent as I returned. How I felt the opposition shouting about lower wing loading, higher thrust to weight and a bigger fleet, not to mention a gun. Somehow, The FX became not one pound for air-to-ground and the HIPAAS became the Strike fighter. McNamara's Cost/Effectiveness funneled out designs and Professional Aerobatics showed designs much slicker than the Aeronca Champ with Franklin 2 cylinder engine and inverted flight tank I wished for.

Lomcevok
    I saw a Bocke Jungmeister perform this maneuver at an airshow in Mojave, California. I did not realize how old the aircraft was or how long ago the maneuver had been developed. I just held it in memory as I worked later with Phantoms and MIGS. Hammerheads and tail slides were less. Only recently, I have bought and read books about the X-15 and the folks just a little older than I. Streak Eagle and the F-15 was the closest I came to the real thing about altitude and attitude.

Bob Hoover also performed at the Mojave Air Races Air Show I saw in an Israeli built "Shrike." twin turbine cabin plane. This was in the 60's when Israel had replaced their Mirage III's with Skyhawks. In the talk today Tucker referenced Hoover and his current youth and adult Flight School. My own experiences with flight paths and long range flight has not quite gotten me to where a membership in AOPA would be as meaningful as EAA.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndsegment View Post
    Lomcevok
    I saw a Bocke Jungmeister perform this maneuver at an airshow in Mojave, California. I did not realize how old the aircraft was or how long ago the maneuver had been developed. I just held it in memory as I worked later with Phantoms and MIGS. Hammerheads and tail slides were less. Only recently, I have bought and read books about the X-15 and the folks just a little older than I. Streak Eagle and the F-15 was the closest I came to the real thing about altitude and attitude.

Big Grin Just Now Sean D. Tucker

My Air and Space Smithsonian subscription just featured a blurb with videos when accessed on Sean D. Tucker giving a talk on line as his stunt aircraft was hung in the main Mall building in Washington, DC. I almost met him in person in 1998 at an Air Show at Selfridge Air National Guard Base. I had watched his feature among the others as the Thunderbirds were there also but I wanted to talk to him about the Toyota engine in his bird. ???? I thought it was in some way related to the Continental "Tiara" Overhead camshaft engine that was beginning production when my friend from the University of Michigan I had gotten a job in the Douglas aircraft Engineering Mechanics Laboratory left to join Continental Motors at their Western Michigan facility. I did not know they had had crankshaft difficulties with the new program as my friend went to the Army tank engine development of an air-cooled V-12 with turbochargers that lost to the Lycoming turbine for the M-1 "Abrams." So my relation with civilian flying and especially light aircraft had to wait and continues to be fragile. Great Joy!! Today
    When I was building stick and tissue paper models and trying to fly them with twisted rubber bands double-knotted I found some magazine articles about aerobatic aircraft. Though I never read about a Fokker or a Camel with an inverted flight fuel tank I was certain I would need one to the kinds of flight I would be motivated to try. Time passed. I lost my baby fat but other than becoming a good sprinter, my unusual attitudes were limited to crashes on my bicycle. On special day I saw kids riding over a recently dumped muck pile where the over the top had been smoothed by the truck tail gate. I decided to show off how ar I could jump after topping the pile. Backing way up, I got up to speed and when I met the pile I was surprised that instead of being like a ramp it was like a scoop and I flipped over high in the air, backwards, in a back flip where I landed almost straight down and bent the forks back to where I had to push the bike home. It was a new bike.
    Time passed again and I was in a dorm hallway where two Amateur wrestlers lived at the University. They encouraged me to try to stand on my hands and fulfill that bargain that maybe would give me an inverted tank and safe flight lessons. I used the arm chair and the wall to flip back and put my feet against the wall, then stretch my feet up. Eventually, I could walk on my hands all the way down the hallway and back to my room door. My second year I took Physics and in Advanced Calculus, the instructor announced by name that a student I recognized as my previous year's Chemistry lab partner had killed himself over the Christmas holiday with a gun. My Physics Lab partner was a pre-nursing coed. I walked her to her dorm one day all the way across the Diag on my hands. I avoided the mandatory Organic chemistry for a major and declared myself a Physics major. I had avoided advanced placement earlier as well as Engineering. Mathematic became my most prolific subject. Inside Out? That was rebuilding a Chevrolet V-8 engine using stock Corvette parts. My father was just as against hot rods as he was unwilling to let me fly with our family doctor in his Piper "Cub. California is where I found employment in the aerospace industry and it was in 1969 I met development of the AGILE missile and a computer program from McDonnell for the FX that was flexible enough I could modify it to fly 3-dimensional profiles. Hooray! At the top of a extension and an oblique loop, I could be upside down and counter a tighter turning opponent as I returned. How I felt the opposition shouting about lower wing loading, higher thrust to weight and a bigger fleet, not to mention a gun. Somehow, The FX became not one pound for air-to-ground and the HIPAAS became the Strike fighter. McNamara's Cost/Effectiveness funneled out designs and Professional Aerobatics showed designs much slicker than the Aeronca Champ with Franklin 2 cylinder engine and inverted flight tank I wished for.

My Air and Space Smithsonian subscription just featured a blurb with videos when accessed on Sean D. Tucker giving a talk on line as his stunt aircraft was hung in the main Mall building in Washington, DC. I almost met him in person in 1998 at an Air Show at Selfridge Air National Guard Base. I had watched his feature among the others as the Thunderbirds were there also but I wanted to talk to him about the Toyota engine in his bird. ???? I thought it was in some way related to the Continental "Tiara" Overhead camshaft engine that was beginning production....
    Could be it was part of the Toyota effort in the '90s to develop an aero engine. Co-worker and I had a visit scheduled at Edwards AFB. We got to the area early, and decided to wander through the flight line at Mojave. Saw this airplane sitting in front of the Scaled Composites headquarters....

Name:  Lima2-3 Toyota.jpg
Views: 1612
Size:  101.7 KB

Went in and asked them about it, but they wouldn't tell us. Later, Scaled turned out to have a contract with Toyota to test an aircraft version of one of their auto engines.

More info:

http://stargazer2006.online.fr/aircraft/pages/lima.htm

Ron Wanttaja