Thread: Pober Sport P-5

Pober Sport P-5

Of all of Poberezny's designs, I like the Pober Sport P-5 best.

It seems to be Paul's 2.0 version of Little Audrey, and I suspect a better airplane based on lessons learned from his first attempt.

Yet he never produced or sold plans for the design. Nor has the design been talked about much.

Was it a good airplane? Did it have faults that prevented plans from being drawn and sold?

It would have been a nice addition to his biplane and parasol designs.
    Last edited by BlueRidge; 02-22-2022 at 01:57 AM.

I agree, it's a good looking little airplane. No factual knowledge, but I suspect that since Ray Stits was already selling plans for the Playboy - a quite similar design, there would be little point to marketing the Sport. Paul likely had a lot of irons in the fire at that point in time.

Agreed, it is a good looking design and looks even better in person. It uses Luscombe wings and a modified Baby Ace fuselage. No surprise there given Paul’s affinity for the Baby Ace. EAA’s history states it was delivered to a new owner in California at the end of the nation wide chapter tour and did not find its way back to Oshkosh until 1975. There was one article with a sketch that appeared in SA around 1960 but the design appears to have gotten pushed to the back burner and ultimately dropped. Too bad.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

Quote Originally Posted by Airmutt View Post
    Agreed, it is a good looking design and looks even better in person. It uses Luscombe wings and a modified Baby Ace fuselage. No surprise there given Paul’s affinity for the Baby Ace. EAA’s history states it was delivered to a new owner in California at the end of the nation wide chapter tour and did not find its way back to Oshkosh until 1975. There was one article with a sketch that appeared in SA around 1960 but the design appears to have gotten pushed to the back burner and ultimately dropped. Too bad.
    Great design but Paul was quite too busy between EAA, raising Tom & Bonnie, and flying C-47s and KC-97’s for the National Guard. I remember Paul “burning the candle at both ends” many times. He would also fly the Guard C-47 cross country picking up aircraft, engines, and parts for the original museum in Hales Corners.
    vr…. Don Stits