Thread: Volunteering at AirVenture

Volunteering at AirVenture

We're thinking about volunteering this year--figured it's time to give back after years of just being a visitor. We've volunteered at SnF as part of our EAA Chapter (they basically run the volunteer kitchen), but this would be be our first time volunteering at Oshkosh. We're pretty much open to anything other than selling tickets at the main gate. I've gone to the volunteer section on the EAA website but there's not really much there. For you old heads, any advice for a newbie?
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

EAA planning for AV for all essential purposes doesn’t kick into high gear until around March. Since you know the lay of the ground you can pretty much volunteer in any area and someone will find a job for ya. If you’re really interested I would contact the volunteer chairman and ask him how to get in touch with that committee chairman. Also, if you’re interested in volunteering before or after the show the Facilities folks are always looking for extra hands.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

There are so many volunteer opportunities it’s impossible to list them all. Some communities are closely knit and it’s hard to break into those areas. Others are so short staffed, if you can fog a mirror you’re in.

When you realize only about 35 of the workers are paid and the rest are volunteers, it’s easier to realize what’s available. One job I’ve thought of was to drive the golf cart around to the outlying spots to provide water, snacks, and sandwiches. You’d get to see the grounds, provide a break to folks, and get to sit.

I’ve worked N 40 flight ops, helped park planes in HBC, departure briefings, and for about 10 years now in the Sheetmetal Workshop.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

Guys appreciate the responses. I get the part about the opportunities and when they get “advertised”. I was more curious about the volunteer process itself and whether there was any advice for a newbie beyond just pick the area that interests you and sign up.
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

In general, each area of interest will have a team leader, they or co-workers will teach you everything you need to know to do the job required and you can mostly count on working with some great, friendly human beings who also share the same passion for aviation. Don't forget to pack your sense of adventure, sense of humor and patience.
    "Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Hey Randy, is there a list of areas/POCs? I don’t recall ever seeing one.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

I did find this page on the AirVenture website which would be a good start- but it says it will not be updated until March, 2022

https://www.eaa.org/eaa/support-eaa/...-at-airventure
    "Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Vintage Flight Line can use volunteers at any time of the day the airport is open (6AM-8PM). We run training twice a day (9AM and 1PM, you only need attend one) every day. We have jobs from parking aircraft, directing traffic, crowd control, looking up aircraft, and so forth. No prior experience required. Work as little or as much as you want. This all goes down at the operations building which is a tan thing diagonally across the road from the Hangar Cafe.

Vintage, in general, has a volunteer booth out in front of the red barn that can refer you to all sorts of other opportunities.

They keep a list of wanted volunteers outside the RED BARN .