Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Klein Hole Cutter Experiences??

Klein Hole Cutter Experiences??

Does anyone have experience using a Klein hole cutter. Good or bad comments appreciated. Would like to know if I should use before I destroy some very wood. Thanks.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

Quote Originally Posted by Airmutt View Post
    Does anyone have experience using a Klein hole cutter. Good or bad comments appreciated. Would like to know if I should use before I destroy some very wood. Thanks.
    Can't speak to Klein. What holes are you cutting? I have a bunch of forstner bits that did a good job on a set of Champ spars. You're welcome to use 'em.

Which one are you talking about. Klein makes a few things described as hole cutters. There are ones that are just carbide hole saws with a spring to help kick out the plug which are pretty nice. They also make a double bladed fly cutter which really is targeted at drywall and ceiling tiles but I've heard of people doing some drilling in plywood with them. I would be very leery about using the latter on wood except with a drill press.

Klein is the go-to tool brand for electricians. I've never had any problems with any of the stuff from them. I've used the smaller bits but not the fly cutter.

Talking about Model 89552 for cutting large radius holes. Have two concerns. How fast does the cutting bit dull and as the bit moves around the arc will it cut cleanly vs tearing out or chipping as its orientation to the wood grain changes. Plan B is just use a jigsaw.

Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime

No experience with that.

I've used a router and jig for big holes. If you're making numerous holes of the same size, you can get really good results that way. But a jigsaw seems like an easy way to do it if you choose the right blade. If you're cutting ply, it'll come out cleaner if you put masking tape or a coat of any sealer (epoxy, varnish, etc) over the cut lines.

What are you cutting? That thing is only rated for relatively thin steel.

I worked for several years in industrial maintenance. All my electricians used Greenlee tools to punch holes in boxes. They aren't cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    What are you cutting? That thing is only rated for relatively thin steel.
    Hey Ron, want to cut holes in plywood. Various diameters in different thicknesses.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime

Quote Originally Posted by Airmutt View Post
    Hey Ron, want to cut holes in plywood. Various diameters in different thicknesses.
    Um, you gonna tell us what you're building?

Volksplane parts…but not for me. In particular some of the skins for weight savings/access. It appears the Klein hole cutter is intended only for very thin wall stuff as the bit has no cutting edge. Off to plan B.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime