2. Camp site reserved—Check
    3. RV reserved—Check

now let the waiting begin…..
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

We can't wait! It is going to be a good year!

See ya there.

Hey it’s a new year and I’m getting excited to make AV2022. Waiting to see if my planned time in Wisconsin and the work weekend dates match up. However, COVID and it’s aftermath is already impacting EAA. If you noticed, EAA cancelled its annual Hops and Props event for this year citing lack of supporting craft breweries and availability of support staff. I find it ironic that a state that is known for cheese, beer, and brats that EAA can’t find enough brewers. Lack of service staff is a real problem everywhere. I don’t know the specifics but heard that even AV 2021 volunteer numbers were down despite the huge turnout. Don’t have any insight how impacted EAA was in hiring it’s work force for AV but wonder if the current manpower issues which seem to mostly impact vendors could carry over into this summer.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

Getting ready:

1. Vacation dates scheduled and approved with boss— N/A - retired
    2. Camp site reserved— N/A - HBC for me
    3. RV reserved— my 9A is standing by

See ya'll there.

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    Getting ready:

1. Vacation dates scheduled and approved with boss— N/A - retired
    2. Camp site reserved— N/A - HBC for me
    3. RV reserved— my 9A is standing by

See ya'll there.
    We camped in HBC with our RV-10 for 5 years straight after it’s first flight in 2015. In 2020, with no show we stayed in the Hilton. Last year we stayed in a rented RV and that’s like going on crack. As a result, we’re pretty much through with tent camping at this point although it’s always an option if the need arises.
    Last edited by Auburntsts; 02-02-2022 at 02:15 PM.
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

I have begun the laborious process of vacuum-sealing all my proposed 2022 conductor jokes, so they will remain fresh come July.
    "Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

And with that the AirVenture 2022 season is officially open
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

Quote Originally Posted by Auburntsts View Post
    We camped in HBC with our RV-10 for 5 years straight after it’s first flight in 2015. In 2020, with no show we stayed in the Hilton. Last year we stayed in a rented RV and that’s like going on crack. As a result, we’re pretty much through with tent camping at this point although it’s always an option if the need arises.
    Three guys (75, 64 and 55) from our airport have rented a house in Appleton and a rental car for the last 3 big shows. Another one (70) in our group was thinking he's too old for camping.
    I'm 69 and thinking those guys just might be on to something. Maybe. Perhaps.
    But then I wake up and smell the 100UL. Ya haven't attended Oshkosh if you haven't camped there. Sleeping in a tent for 10 nights. Showering in a trailer. Endless coffee in the HBC pavillion. The corn roast on Thursday. The RV beer fairy on Monday. The HBC beer tasting on Sunday. Breakfasts at the Sacred Heart booth. Dinners at the new Mineshaft. The evacuation to the museum before the big storm.
    See y'all in camp.

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    Three guys (75, 64 and 55) from our airport have rented a house in Appleton and a rental car for the last 3 big shows. Another one (70) in our group was thinking he's too old for camping.
    I'm 69 and thinking those guys just might be on to something. Maybe. Perhaps.
    But then I wake up and smell the 100UL. Ya haven't attended Oshkosh if you haven't camped there. Sleeping in a tent for 10 nights. Showering in a trailer. Endless coffee in the HBC pavillion. The corn roast on Thursday. The RV beer fairy on Monday. The HBC beer tasting on Sunday. Breakfasts at the Sacred Heart booth. Dinners at the new Mineshaft. The evacuation to the museum before the big storm.
    See y'all in camp.
    I agree which is why staying off the immediate airport area (like in the dorms) has zero appeal to us. Staying in a rented RV at Sleepy Hollow for us is the best of all worlds — better accommodations, close proximity to our camping friends and non-show social activities like the HBC beer tasting, RV social, SOS bros, and various aircraft camping and Scholler parties, the bus park for rides to Target/Pick-n-Save and we still get to fly in— its just now we in park in HBP vs HBC, although last year, where they grouped the RV-10s it was hard to tell where HBP ended and HBC began. The only downside is cost—significantly more expensive than tent camping (be it aircraft or Scholler) for sure. Oh and we rode that storm you mentioned out in our tent 2 years ago. Bottom line is there’s lodging options for every preference as long as you don’t procrastinate.

We went from this tent to this trailer:
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Auburntsts; 02-02-2022 at 08:57 PM.
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!