Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Goodbye Free SOLIDWORKS

I eventually went for Alibre Workshop in the Black Friday sale. It seems to do everything that I know I'll need to do, and since the CAM software is separate I can always upgrade to one of the more expensive versions if I do need other features.

No interest in 'cloud' or 'subscription' software.

I have a solution for you guys.

https://www.solidworks.com/product/students

You can get it for $100 if you click on the "Solidworks Student Edition" on the left side of the bottom page.

Sad I dunno, I guess they won.

I tried Alibre and FreeCAD and even back to Fusion360 but I couldn't like them, especially not after spending so many hours learning this software. I'm still angry at this company for making startup and save operations 100x slower than they need to be, and hating them for the forced updates/internet connection/mysterious pauses - none of which happened with the educational version. But I'm back to using Solidworks.

Quote Originally Posted by rkirk77 View Post
    I have a solution for you guys.

https://www.solidworks.com/product/students

You can get it for $100 if you click on the "Solidworks Student Edition" on the left side of the bottom page.

Have you gone this route? I started the process, but it was asking what school I was attending.
    Minnesota

Quote Originally Posted by Kim View Post
    Have you gone this route? I started the process, but it was asking what school I was attending.

Put in anything you want, it doesn't care. I've successfully installed it already and happy to have the desktop version.

Quote Originally Posted by Kim View Post
    Enter "Colorado School of Mimes" and refuse to say anything if they ask.

Ron "Walking against the wind" Wanttaja

I literally became an EAA member for the SolodWorks that came with it a few months ago... So much for renewing my membership.

I have a C150 that's certified and have ambitions of making a kit plane some day. The only value I got out of the membership is the SolidWorks (Primary benefit) and helping the lobbyists (a secondary benefit)

Quote Originally Posted by SolidWrecks View Post
    I literally became an EAA member for the SolodWorks that came with it a few months ago... So much for renewing my membership.

I have a C150 that's certified and have ambitions of making a kit plane some day. The only value I got out of the membership is the SolidWorks (Primary benefit) and helping the lobbyists (a secondary benefit)
    I kind of second this sentiment. Access to Solidworks was a big part of why I was a member of EAA. I think that EAA has done us a bit of a disservice by not pushing back hard on this change. They have the unified voice of their members but it doesn't seem that they said or did anything about Solidworks arbitrarily making this change. :-(

Quote Originally Posted by pogcarr View Post
    I kind of second this sentiment. Access to Solidworks was a big part of why I was a member of EAA. I think that EAA has done us a bit of a disservice by not pushing back hard on this change. They have the unified voice of their members but it doesn't seem that they said or did anything about Solidworks arbitrarily making this change. :-(
    I don't blame EAA for this situation. Somebody, at some point, got Dassault to approve EAA as an educational user.

However, remember what Dassault's goal is: They want to sell FULL versions of Solidworks....IIRC, a full seat is on the order of $10,000. Giving a college student an educational version makes economic sense... if companies find recent graduates are already Solidworks-experienced, they're more likely to buy the software for their companies.

However, this transition doesn't happen for the vast majority of EAA members. Dassault's program with EAA led to few, if any, purchases of the full package. Certainly, from the company's economic point of view, they didn't get any benefit out of it.

I think it it were BOEING's CAD program, or Lockheed's, the situation would be different. Boeing, especially, supports EAA already. But Dassault is a European concern, and company brass probably aren't that familiar with EAA. Dassault is a ~$550M company...kind of dwarfs EAA.

The problem at this point, is that if Dassault relents and give the same access again, are we just setting ourselves up for ANOTHER "Charlie Brown, Lucy, and the Football" situation? I went through the angst to find another package and learn how to use it. Am I going to want to switch back to Solidworks, when there's the possibility the access can be pulled again?

Ron Wanttaja

I can understand Solidworks. I think the original idea was that EAA members could use Solidworks in their experimental aircraft projects, not that you get free Solidworks by paying EAA dues. Unfortunately Solidworks is now offering us the wrong product.

Was the post removed, that we could get the student edition instead?