Thread: Stop forums during airshows

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

My kids love the air show and I think a lot of townies come in just for the show. I personally would like to go to more forums but get outvoted by the kids. I do recall more than once the speaker just can’t be heard over the sound of say the aeroshell team. At the end of they day, we all got to get along. No way, I would argue for less airshow.

I do wonder though if there couldn’t be some solutions. Eaa is a volunteer run organization and they seem to let folks run with ideas. I wonder if some sponsor could be enticed to enclose some of the pavilions and add ac. That could help.

I have also made this suggestion a number of times to eaa folks but nothing seems to happen. Why not tape the forums? Eaa communications hires college kids for airventure, and they do a good job of producing content for the radio, paper, and webpage. Hire a team of college kids to tape and edit the forums. They could stream it live and store it for viewing later. I think they could charge for access to this content.

Even though I am on the grounds, I would buy access to this content. And, it has happened more than once. What I want to see is 3 trams away and my kids are screaming for lunch and their feet hurt. It would be nice to plop the, under a tree and listen to a forum. Or, the two things I wanted to hear are at the same time at opposite ends of the field. And what about the theater in the woods stuff. This years content seems a little bland to me but in past years they have had some pretty cool shows.

Secondly if they offered something like this for sale I think it would be great for folks that can’t attend. They had a page on the eaa site listed as forums videos but I never saw anything streaming. Would have been nice if they would have.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Add me to the list that wishes the airshow was shorter. We don't need 45 minutes of the same warbirds going back and forth. I don't care about two monoplanes doing the same unrecognizable maneuvers back to back. Homebuilt in review is pretty much the same airplanes doing the same boring thing every year. But let's be honest, they aren't going to do that because the general spectator's probably love it all and I am sure lot's of sponsor dollars are earned during that time. Maybe it's time to enclose the forum areas to help dampen the sound. Even temporary structures like Epic and others have would help.

You’ve got to remember the forum buildings are only used for one week and serve as storage for the rest of the year. Making significant, read costly, improvements doesn’t make much sense. The only closed-in forum building is used to store vehicles when not in use.
    As mentioned earlier there was a time you could purchase recordings of the forums. It would be nice if they were recorded and archived but I doubt EAA has the assets to pull that off.
    Admittedly I’ve soured on air show noise. Too many years around A6s, F4s, Harriers and yea I spent 30+ years in the aerospace industry too. I found the multiple passes of the F18s to be particularly annoying. It probably started with the grating buzz of Samson back in the 80s. I get it….the show is a revenue draw but it’s not for me anymore.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

Quote Originally Posted by Airmutt View Post
    You’ve got to remember the forum buildings are only used for one week and serve as storage for the rest of the year. Making significant, read costly, improvements doesn’t make much sense. The only closed-in forum building is used to store vehicles when not in use.
    As mentioned earlier there was a time you could purchase recordings of the forums. It would be nice if they were recorded and archived but I doubt EAA has the assets to pull that off.
    Admittedly I’ve soured on air show noise. Too many years around A6s, F4s, Harriers and yea I spent 30+ years in the aerospace industry too. I found the multiple passes of the F18s to be particularly annoying. It probably started with the grating buzz of Samson back in the 80s. I get it….the show is a revenue draw but it’s not for me anymore.
    Aren't all those glass buildings Continental, Lycoming, Epic, etc only used once or twice a year? Surely if they can afford it EAA with it's massive membership could. I mean look at the massive museum expansion or the banquet hall that hardly get's used.