Thread: Day 9 of 9 concludes the AirVenture Adventure

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Day 9 of 9 concludes my 2021 AirVenture Adventure

Made it safely home to my 'hood East of Midway Airport after a tiring 3-1/2 hour drive down the "Dumbell Highway." It would seem that none of the usual idiots spent any time learning how to drive on a superhighway in the 9 days I was gone. Oh well.

Today we ran the Yellow Route again, which I admit I do rather enjoy cuz I can do a nice tight comedy set working it - lol

FAR fewer folks in attendance today and by 2:00 when I got off duty several of the vendors along Yellow had wrapped up operations and removed their aircraft to points unknown to me. Homebuilt and Vintage areas were pretty much ghost towns compared to earlier in the week, which is 100% NORMAL for AirVenture on the last Sunday in the afternoon. So NOT a critique in any way.

Also typical is the physical and mental toll 9 straight days of 6 hour shifts takes on a less than limber geezer bod - lol - but I wouldn't trade it for anything in the World. I do luv conducting and all that goes with it.

My motel room is already reserved for next year - did that the day I checked in as usual. And I can hardly wait for 2022 to come around.

EAA MANAGEMENT TYPES??? If you ever read these posts and are willing to take FREE suggestions from someone who did NOT go to Northwestern but HAS had his butt cheeks at the back of a bouncy tram since 2004 for 9 days straight, 6 hours a day, every year??? Spend a couple lousy bucks and Make up some signs already to identify EVERY tram stop and WHERE that tram is going - as in direction and locations where it will stop. Add a few Porta-Johns to one of the Yellow tram terminals, both terminals would be better. Create a tram stop at Vintage/the Flight line - YES, I agree that across from the old Subway location was too congested, so make the stop on the North/South road near the Vintage Cafe. Forcing folks to make the very long march back from the Hangar Cafe is ridiculous, as is forcing them to walk from the Yellow/Blue terminal as their "better' option to go to Vintage and the flight line. Look at the Yellow/Blue terminal- you did that one RIGHT, Congrats. Now Look at the Yellow/Red terminal - you did that one bass-ackwards. Make the tram flow and terminal layout identical to the Yellow/Blue. Safety first and all that.

With that I will leave you with the following until next year.

"20 years ago I got a Cessna 150 for my wife and to this day it remains the best trade I ever made."

and

"I quit my job at the helium factory because I refuse to be spoken to in that tone of voice."

and at long last

"Just how darn many of them Girl Scout Thin Mints do you have to eat before they start taking effect?:"
    Last edited by CHICAGORANDY; 08-04-2021 at 11:37 AM.
    "Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

I walk everywhere, but you make me want to ride your tram from the jokes. 16 miles was my biggest day this year, when I watched arrivals on 27 in the morning, then walked to the south end of the south 40 all the way to Ripple, then back to vintage for the airshow, and zigging the whole time.

Glad you made it back ok, looking forward to next year.

Darn, I was looking for you Randy. I thought I spotted you one day but was not sure. Guess I should have just yelled out! Seeing the picture of you on your scooter confirmed it was you I saw conducting. I like you use a mobility chair, cause my back won't take miles of walking per day. Thanks for all the volunteer work you do.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Randy, thanks for what you do. But, it's my experience the eaa (note lowercase) doesn't listen to anyone but their board (or is that bored) room.

Quote Originally Posted by ssteve1 View Post
    Randy, thanks for what you do. But, it's my experience the eaa (note lowercase) doesn't listen to anyone but their board (or is that bored) room.
    Is there a site/link to where members can post ideas for future operations?

Quote Originally Posted by ssteve1 View Post
    We have to remember, AirVenture is a fundraiser, not a fly-in for members to socialize like in the old days. After all, 25% of funds raised through membership doesn't even cover the wages of the top four board members. That's why we need jet engine companies sponsoring a homebuilders association meet.

Anything offered has to either a) be monetized (bottled water), or b) be donated and/or free labor (trams) until it can be monetized regardless of quality (webcams). Tram signs would be for the convenience of spectators, an unrecoverable expense. Improved stops and routes would mean less people walking = less people seeing stuff to buy. Old or disabled people don't buy so they don't count. Input from volunteers is spectator-centric, while junior "consultants" are watching for any cash left on the table. Volunteers, by definition, are not exactly money driven. The reality is unless a suggestion involves people leaving with even lighter wallets, it has no place at AirVenture.

So........... would you suggest that EAA add X$ per day to each wristband cost to help 'pay' for tram signage and improvements? Cuz I'm thinking that the necessary 20-25 signs done in their In-House print shop can't cost more than $3000, and with the tens of thousands of attendees each day you wouldn't need to add more that about a Quarter to each wristband. And if you add the logo of one two companies they might even be a cash cow?

Yes EAA AirVenture is a great big money-maker, but the more inconvenient you make it for the attendees, you just might cause attendance to drop off, making it less advantageous for the big $$$ advertisers and vendors? Just sayin'.
    Last edited by CHICAGORANDY; 08-03-2021 at 06:01 AM.

Randy, as I sat in the Interstate 195 area, one of the conductors going by pointed out the Oshkosh Cottonwood tree (or something to that effect). Was that you?
    Larry Nelson EAA 35011
    President EAA Chapter 821
    Springfield, MO
    PA 30 / Cessna 195

Depends on what day - other conductors 'could' be stealing my material - lol I often point out a distant grove of trees noting that "Right There" is the OFFICIAL EAA Dogwood tree, you can tell which is the dogwood by the bark.