Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Airventure: Good, Bad, and Ugly

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingMN View Post
    The good: Good for me at least was the Viper Demo teams last high speed pass during the Thursday day air show. I have never experienced an aircraft breaking the sound barrier so I am no expert but pretty sure it happened on the very north end. I would love to hear opinions from anybody who experienced it or knows more details on it. I was right on the flight line north of the forum buildings and the Vans booth. First sound we heard was a double boom that was like two lightning strikes right next to us. The compression was like somebody punched you left right in the chest. I heard reports it took some people off their feet. This probably falls in the bad or ugly category for some others. Hope the pilot didnt get in too much trouble. It certainly is the highlight of my nearly decade of attending.

Not really a bad as we arrived to camp Tuesday so that has got to be the worst possible time to show up. As expected we were in the far SW corner and there wasnt much room left either.

The Ugly: post Airventure depression. Another year and I still dont own an airplane darn it. Next year.
    I am no expert but others have said he didn’t break the sound barrier but came right up to the edge. I was told a real sonic boom is unmistakable and would have broken windows, etc.

Since it is illegal over land, I am sure it would have made national news if he did. And for all of us airplane nuts, I am sure we all agree we didn’t hear anything, right?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Careful what you post here. Be very very careful.

“Since it is illegal over land, I am sure it would have made national news if he did.”

Y’all should have been here last summer. The WI NG conducted a multi service air combat exercise and being under the Volks MOA we experienced several sonic booms during the week. It was also very cool to look up and see the interweaving contrails…… shades of Battle of Britain. FYI no broken windows.

Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

Quote Originally Posted by CHICAGORANDY View Post
    "plus that conductor at the rear DOES have a microphone to annnounce such info as needed.
    I thought it was just so he could tell bad jokes.

Quote Originally Posted by ssteve1 View Post
    Careful what you post here. Be very very careful.
    And on every other site you visit.

I am no expert but others have said he didn’t break the sound barrier but came right up to the edge. I was told a real sonic boom is unmistakable and would have broken windows, etc.

Since it is illegal over land, I am sure it would have made national news if he did. And for all of us airplane nuts, I am sure we all agree we didn’t hear anything, right?

When I was a kid, 10 years old in 1956, we heard sonic booms quite a lot in S.C. I don't remember any broken windows, but it would sure rattle them !!!
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by robert l View Post

When I was a kid, 10 years old in 1956, we heard sonic booms quite a lot in S.C. I don't remember any broken windows, but it would sure rattle them !!!
    Bob
    And the jets were probably at 20k feet or more, not at 500'.

Quote Originally Posted by krw920 View Post
    And the jets were probably at 20k feet or more, not at 500'.
    I don’t know if this is true or not, but the guy I was standing next to on the flight line said that you can tell if they break the sound barrier when the visible compression ring slips back behind the airplane. You could see the compression cloud on the leading surfaces but I never saw the cone slide behind the airplane like you see in some photos. FWIW.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Surprised I haven’t seen comments on the new approach procedures this year.

I thought they worked quite well. I was a victim of the huge confusion of, I think, 2018, and it seemed this year they handled a large crowd at the busiest times pretty well, and much more safely. With multiple defined holds, and apparently one additional improvised one at the town of Portage, they spread out the traffic and metered it well. The controllers at Fisk had to work harder, but it sounded like they had lots of help, including controllers watching ADS-B and even calling out people by N number who were (for whatever reason) bypassing the procedure.

I had hoped 2018 was an aberration and things would return to the normal of the last 2-3 decades. But no, I suspect we’ve seen the last of “find somebody to follow and join the line at Ripon.”

Quote Originally Posted by MEdwards View Post
    Surprised I haven’t seen comments on the new approach procedures this year.

I thought they worked quite well. I was a victim of the huge confusion of, I think, 2018, and it seemed this year they handled a large crowd at the busiest times pretty well, and much more safely. With multiple defined holds, and apparently one additional improvised one at the town of Portage, they spread out the traffic and metered it well. The controllers at Fisk had to work harder, but it sounded like they had lots of help, including controllers watching ADS-B and even calling out people by N number who were (for whatever reason) bypassing the procedure.

I had hoped 2018 was an aberration and things would return to the normal of the last 2-3 decades. But no, I suspect we’ve seen the last of “find somebody to follow and join the line at Ripon.”
    It'll be interesting to see if the new procedures actually help when the weather or other outside influences cause problems. Best I could tell, this year there were no weather events or runway closures that severely restricted or bunched up arrivals.
    Last edited by Kyle Boatright; 08-07-2021 at 01:53 PM.