Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Solar panels for charging batteries

Quote Originally Posted by BunnyRobie View Post
    I don`t trust Amazon reviews, so before buying check Trustpilot before buying anything
    Well, they worked as advertised. Powered a cpap machine all night with 60% charge left in the morning, solar panels had it fully recharged by lunchtime the next day. The reviews were accurate.

To avoid depleting your camper batteries, a portable solar charger is definitely a good idea. I suggest a distributed energy network, which utilizes a collection of small-scale renewable energy generators to provide power to a specific area. I'm using one in my rural cottage when I go there, and it has never failed yet. That flow creates a reliable source of power for your camping needs. Hope it helps you, and let me know if you have other questions about it. Happy camping!
    Last edited by gabieleke; 01-30-2023 at 03:11 AM.

Now here are more and more solar panels but it's so hard to choose which one to get. Can somebody help me?

SOLIDWORKS Support Volunteer Jeffrey Meyer's Avatar
    I've faced similar issues with my camper batteries running low, especially when relying on them for essentials like a vent fan during trips. After some research, I decided to look into portable solar chargers to avoid this problem in the future. I found a fantastic resource at solargenerators.to, which offers a wealth of information, reviews, and tips specifically on solar generators and chargers. This site helped me understand what to look for in terms of power, portability, and durability, making it easier to choose the right solar charger for my needs. It's a great starting point to compare different brands and models, ensuring you find a solar charger that can keep up with your vent fan and other power needs while enjoying Airventure.
    Last edited by Jeffrey Meyer; 02-24-2024 at 05:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Meyer View Post
    I've faced similar issues with my camper batteries running low, especially when relying on them for essentials like a vent fan during trips. After some research, I decided to look into portable solar chargers to avoid this problem in the future. I found a fantastic resource at solargenerators.to, which offers a wealth of information, reviews, and tips specifically on solar generators and chargers. This site helped me understand what to look for in terms of power, portability, and durability, making it easier to choose the right solar charger for my needs. It's a great starting point to compare different brands and models, ensuring you find a solar charger that can keep up with your vent fan and other power needs while enjoying Airventure.
    So....I am sitting here pondering the end of another day, and my ear hairs start to vibrate. Someone else, somewhere, is referring to battery power stations as "solar generators". Sure enough my cyber devining rod found this posting. Tain't right. My Jackery units, great as they are, have NEVER generated a single amp. They make good storage vessels for the amps I steal from the sun or my wall outlet. But the manufacturers have succeeded in rebranding a battery device as a "generator". I actually have a small Jackery that looks like a mini-Honda generator. It even says "Honda" on it. Great product.....not a generator. Please make it stop. I pair mine with 60 watts of folding solar panel. At Oshkosh, I have enough power for my hot tub, my microwave, my home theater, ice maker, my metal lathe, blender, and my water pic.
    Larry Nelson EAA 35011
    President EAA Chapter 821
    Springfield, MO
    PA 30 / Cessna 195

I think it's great to hear about your Airventure experiences. A portable solar charger sounds like a smart solution for keeping your camper batteries charged, especially during events when you're using a lot of power. As for brands and models, I've heard good things about brands like Goal Zero and Renogy. They offer portable solar chargers designed for outdoor use, and you can find models with various power outputs to suit your needs. Additionally, I recently came across some solar panel installers who share useful tips for selecting the right charger for your setup. They might have personalized recommendations based on your specific requirements.

My current plan, subject to change is a 60w briefcase solar panel attached to two sealed lead acid 12v 14ah batteries or a single NOCO GB40 bank. I already know that we have 3 iPhones and 2 iPads the will need re-charging. The iPhones will be daily top ups, the iPads probably only once before departure. Anyone have experience with a similar situation?