Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Web Cams

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rosenow View Post
    Membership is up end of the month. Guess that's long enough.
    After being canceled last year, I felt bad for the EAA and got a lifetime membership and gave a cash donation on top of that.

Bad move. Instead of using it to improve AirVenture, they sold off the webcams to Pratt and Whitney.

The EAA used to be an organization for its members, but it’s becoming the same as the AOPA - an organization that exists soley to further the organization itself and make money. We’re just the suckers they sell to corporate sponsors.

Quote Originally Posted by mc20 View Post
    After being canceled last year, I felt bad for the EAA and got a lifetime membership and gave a cash donation on top of that.

Bad move. Instead of using it to improve AirVenture, they sold off the webcams to Pratt and Whitney.

The EAA used to be an organization for its members, but it’s becoming the same as the AOPA - an organization that exists soley to further the organization itself and make money. We’re just the suckers they sell to corporate sponsors.
    You "NAILED" it my friend!
    Robert "Bob" Ferguson, EAA #1228198
    President/Flight Coordinator EAA 78
    EAA-The Spirit of Aviation
    Phone: 267.243.5198
    eaachapter78@gmail.com
    https://chapters.eaa.org/eaa78
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/eaachapter78/

You can always go from nice to mean.
    But you can NEVER go from mean to nice.
    BE KIND to ONE ANOTHER!

Quote Originally Posted by MEdwards View Post
    We also haven’t heard from the friendly, dedicated volunteers who have managed the webcams in the past. Perhaps they’re gone so the process is less efficient.
    Being a retired geek, I've been in contact with the webcam crew on and off over the years. Even had the pleasure of thanking them in person in their hideaway at Oshkosh one time.

I've heard from them since my previous posting..the skinny is that following OSH19, the small team was summarily dis-banded by EAA via phone and a follow-up letter. They were told no more volunteers would be needed, and that the function was being taken 'in-house'. No rationale was provided to them. I'm told that this year the cams are being run by a commercial vendor.

Although conjecture may be that the change was made to monetize the stream for EAA (given the new sponsorship) I've been aware that the team offered options to EAA to place ads in the webcam streams years ago, without results.

Don't forget that the team was not only providing their expertise (both computer and aviation), but loaning personal computing/networking 'stuff' without cost to EAA. Given the info above, I think EAA has totally dropped the ball for those of us who don't get to OSH every year.

I realize there are two sides to every story, and look forward to a response by EAA.

Jim
    Last edited by Jim Rosenow; 07-23-2021 at 05:48 AM.