PDA

View Full Version : Airventure 2021 App?

Jack T.
06-26-2021, 07:37 PM
I see marketing materials for the 2021 app, but the play store and Apple store both call it the 2019 app...and it doesn't run.

Anybody know if this a problem with me, or is the app not ready to use yet?

GeorgeP
06-27-2021, 01:52 AM
Nuthin' wrong with you, or your iPhone. Although I cannot make it to Osh this year, I did want to download the app and have encountered the same problem as you describe above. Good luck and I hope that you and everyone on this forum who plans to attend has a safe and enjoyable time. I'll be watchin' from over here in Oz and wishin' I was there....

Foxbuilder
06-27-2021, 02:24 PM
Here too. Something is wrong. Monday is coming though.

Lindberg
06-29-2021, 01:52 PM
The app is not quite ready yet. It will be soon.

Jack T.
06-29-2021, 02:48 PM
Well kick that mule! :D

Ashleybarry
07-01-2021, 01:00 AM
Why don't you paste the link of your app for both android and apple users! And also for monitor (https://monitormega.com/) screen users or laptop uses.

Sam Oleson
07-01-2021, 08:34 AM
FYI folks, the app is almost ready but not quite. It should be out soon. Apologies for the delay.

geosnooker2000
07-01-2021, 09:32 AM
And what exactly will this app do for me? (first-time attendee)

Jack T.
07-01-2021, 10:00 AM
FYI folks, the app is almost ready but not quite. It should be out soon. Apologies for the delay.

No worries. . .I just naturally figured it was a problem on my side. Thank you, sir, for the update!

Lindberg
07-02-2021, 07:35 AM
Maps, schedules, programs, vendors, what to do and what not to do and where not to do it. That kind of thing.

geosnooker2000
07-02-2021, 10:05 AM
Maps, schedules, programs, vendors, what to do and what not to do and where not to do it. That kind of thing.

Ahhhh.... Grassyass Ameego.

CyrusL
07-07-2021, 09:10 AM
I just launched the app again and now it's showing 2021 info! Enjoy folks.

ssteve1
07-07-2021, 03:08 PM

BAM! Right here! This is why I love Oshkosh,

Lindberg
07-08-2021, 09:04 AM
Well, I still can't get the new 2021 app.

CHICAGORANDY
07-08-2021, 11:19 AM
I can only speak to my expereience a couple minutes ago - went to the Google Play Store and downloaded the AirVenture 2021 app, loaded and opened fine. All the features seem to work OK? I use an Android based smartphone, Moto G6 Play to be specific.

lkorona
07-08-2021, 02:16 PM
Not in the Apple App Store yet.

Jack T.
07-08-2021, 06:52 PM
Anndroid version up and going this morning...my schedule is already overbooked.

Lindberg
07-08-2021, 07:58 PM
Well, that explains why I can't get it yet. I have an Apple. I'm sure that the Apple version will bew available soon.

Sam Oleson
07-09-2021, 09:49 AM
Yes, our app development team is working out some bugs for the Apple version, but it should be available in the very near future.

N222AB
07-14-2021, 06:11 PM
I downloaded the new app this afternoon, but it seems like a big step backwards. Going through the schedule day by day, all of the forums and events are in random order. In previous years, everything was in order by time, making it easy to keep track of things through the day. Unless I’m missing something, there’s no way to sort. I created an itinerary, but everything there is in no particular order. The itinerary isn’t sorted by day or time, making it difficult to use. Am I missing something here??

Elayna Hall
07-15-2021, 07:42 AM
Hi Bill. Our IT team was made aware of this issue and is working to get items sorted chronologically.

wwilkens
07-15-2021, 10:33 AM
I attempted to download the app for my iPhone but can't seem to get it to work. Is it ready for prime time?
Wes

N222AB
07-15-2021, 03:49 PM
Hi Bill. Our IT team was made aware of this issue and is working to get items sorted chronologically.

Thanks Elayna. Also, the app doesn’t show where the forums are located. It’s nice to know that there is a forum, but we need to know where to find it. It seems that the rewrite has left out some of the key features of the previous versions.

ggxy
07-15-2021, 05:14 PM

also, registering as an EAA member requires to enter my zip code. I am an EAA member, but, as a Canadian, don’t have a zip code…

Sirota
07-20-2021, 10:29 AM
In today's day and time how is it possible the web itinerary and the mobile app don't sync? The ease of viewing the event on a large monitor coupled with the miss-sorted entries on the mobile app makes the non syncing a PIA

dclaxon
07-20-2021, 05:44 PM
The itinerary I set up on my computer several days ago is showing up on my phone app. (Android) And as for sorting, I don't think it is mis-sorted or random, it appears to be alphabetical. Which while not totally useless, it may be close to it. Only good if you are looking for a forum you know the official name of.

dclaxon
07-25-2021, 06:00 PM

Any progress on the sorting? Mine went from straight alphabetical sort to semi-date sorted, but not sorted by time within the dates.

Dave

dclaxon
07-25-2021, 06:21 PM
Any progress on the sorting? Mine went from straight alphabetical sort to semi-date sorted, but not sorted by time within the dates.

Dave

I take that back, it's my itinerary that is semi-sorted, and it actually seems to be sorted in the order I added stuff to it from the web site. The actual schedule in the Android app is still sorted alphabetically. Which would be useful if the forums were being held in alphabetical order.

mcdewey
07-27-2021, 07:55 AM
App says “no data found” on all the forums I selected. It won’t even show the forums in the schedule page. Even deleted app and reinstalled. Still get “no data found”. Fortunately AirVenture Today paper is working properly. Now trying to find a pen. ��

ssteve1
07-27-2021, 09:26 PM
I used the app to find forum #6. I walked a very very long time. I finally stopped a guy and asked for directions. He said he wasn’t aware of a forum #6 in Chicago.

kwingram
07-28-2021, 10:15 PM
The Apple version of the app is an absolute bust this year. Enter anything into search and get an instant crash, completely closing the app, then taking literally several minutes to restart. It was pretty helpful in 2018 but very limited in usefulness this year. But, it doesn’t cost anything either, so there’s that.

wwilkens
08-03-2021, 10:40 AM
Once I finally got the app installed, I organized my schedule. It worked fine for Monday but, come Tuesday, everything I had saved was gone. Also, when I looked for events, there was nothing. App was worthless for me. It worked fine the other years I used it though.

SteveCostello
08-03-2021, 12:43 PM
Dear EAA... thank you for putting forth the effort (and expense) to have an AirVenture app. The effort is appreciated. The app itself, however, is an unmitigated mess.

I'm a Senior User Experience Architect, meaning, I have a few decades of designing technology and how humans interact with it. My goal in my career: make people NOT want to throw their tech as far as they can. This app has some very serious user experience challenges. I'm pretty sure it's a vendor-provided solution, so perhaps your hands are tied (somewhat...) on this. But considering the app is nearly useless, either some things need to be fixed, or an entirely new solution needs to be used.

So, here I am. I'm happy to volunteer my services to help make the app a fantastic tool that helps users instead of frustrating them. Please, feel free to DM me (or, I'm sure the site admin can see my email address, so you could email me as well). Let's talk, and let's make this application a delightful useful thing.

A few quick notes based on my limited usage (limited only because it was so *redacted* frustrating to use):

- Offline data: With the often terrible Wifi and wireless network saturation (as well as folks like myself blazing through our data plans), offline data in an app like this is a must.
- Sort by date/time: this was probably my greatest frustration. Why in the world were the event listings not sorted by date/time? That makes it nearly impossible to figure out how to manage your daily schedule to ensure you didn't try to go to two forums at the same time.
- Reading descriptions: if you tried to read an event description, then go back to the list of events, you had to scroll all the way back down to where you were... in an event list that seemed to be sorted completely randomly
- Event locations not shown: Sure, you could click on the map icon, but from what I could see, it was never noted in text where the events where located. Additionally, on my friend's older iPhone, clicking the map icon either didn't do anything or crashed the app.
- App not linked at all to the website: Another major miss. I was completely shocked that I had built up a schedule on the website, then logged into the app and... nothing. Pretty incredible missed opportunity.

I have other significant areas of improvement, but those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

As I mentioned before... happy to volunteer my services as a seasoned user experience professional to make this thing better. I hate to just dump a bunch of criticism then disappear. I'm willing to constructively criticize, and then help to fix the situation.

Drop me a line.

MNWORD
08-03-2021, 01:18 PM
Steven with your experience, is there a link to provide real suggestions to EAA Management about some REAL issues in Camp Scholler? Thanks in advance for your help.
Vr
Mike Wordell
Lifetime Member

SteveCostello
08-03-2021, 01:39 PM
Steven with your experience, is there a link to provide real suggestions to EAA Management about some REAL issues in Camp Scholler? Thanks in advance for your help.
Vr
Mike Wordell
Lifetime Member

I’m big on process improvement. It’s part of my daily job. I’m not entirely sure how open EAA is to Scholler improvements.

I think the app issues are very real, as the app’s utility is greatly diminished due to the usability problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wwilkens
08-03-2021, 06:40 PM
Steve,
I think you hit it on the head with off-line usage. The app worked quite well in '18 and '19. I even used the GPS feature to find buildings for different forums and it worked fine. However, my problems may have been with cell saturation this year.
Wes