PDA

View Full Version : Does the recent sport pilot examnier medical rule change the catch 22?

Tim
12-17-2011, 10:29 AM
I'm not clear on if it does or not. If It dosen't is there any effort to change this catch 22; so that those of us that have a drivers license and good health can fly. I could probably pass a third class but I don't have the money to fight that battle and afford to fly within two years of that expense.

gpinnell
12-17-2011, 04:18 PM
We continue to try to eliminate the catch 22 but it is a legal issue and not really a medical one. If a 3rd class is a possibility please contact Sue Selachek at EAA headquarters at 920-426-6112. We can try to find the most cost-efficient way to get you past the 3rd class. Regards, Greg Pinnell, MD EAA Aeromedical Council.

Bill
12-17-2011, 09:18 PM
Speaking only as an engineer, which certainly doesn't qualify me to interpret legal documentation (attorneys and engineers, with the exception of patent attorneys, are mutually antagonistic occupations), I would think that "This document corrects an error in the codified text of that document to permit a person serving as an examiner and administering a practical test for the issuance of a sport pilot certificate in a light-sport aircraft other than a glider or balloon to hold either a medical certificate or a U.S. driver’s license." This quote from the Federal Register /Vol. 76, No. 242 / Friday, December 16, 2011 seems to address examiners giving practical tests to applicants for a sport pilot certificate only and doesn't address in any way the catch-22 situation as I would read it. I doubt that there will be any resolution to that problem in my lifetime given the geologic pace at which our government moves. I let my medical quietly elapse some years ago just to avoid such an exigency.

Jstubbs67
12-21-2011, 10:40 PM
Doesn't getting paid require a commercial which would require a second class medical? I have the commercial but a third class medical. Thanks.

Tim
12-22-2011, 09:19 AM
We continue to try to eliminate the catch 22 but it is a legal issue and not really a medical one. If a 3rd class is a possibility please contact Sue Selachek at EAA headquarters at 920-426-6112. We can try to find the most cost-efficient way to get you past the 3rd class. Regards, Greg Pinnell, MD EAA Aeromedical Council.

This is the second time I've heard the Catch 22 refered to as a legal issue. Could you please explain? How does this get resolved?

Tim

LJM
12-22-2011, 02:17 PM
No, look at 61:23 medical is NOT required;

"(5) When exercising the privileges of a flight instructor certificate if the person is not acting as pilot in command or serving as a required pilot flight crewmember"

FlyingRon
12-22-2011, 02:43 PM
Yes, and even the times when you are PIC or a required flight crew member, it only takes a third (even if you're being paid as an instructor).

Jstubbs67
12-22-2011, 03:57 PM
Thanks for your help and Merry Christmas!