PDA

View Full Version : Time from Start to Airlines?

Ryan Hornback
12-16-2011, 10:09 PM
I am currently a Junior in high school. I know I am going into aviation, and would absolutely love to be a pilot. I am not sure if I want to be one though due to the schedule they have. Anyhow, I have been considering it more lately. I have already started towards my PPL. I plan to have it before I am out of high school, and if not, soon after. I was wondering, from the time it takes starting out in aviation, if I got hired on at the bottom of the commercial aviation, like flying single or twin props (I think that is where I would have to start at?). How long would it take me to make it up to the big airlines like UPS? I know it varies for everyone, and job availability, but what is an estimate. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :)

martymayes
12-17-2011, 10:00 AM
I am not sure if I want to be one though due to the schedule they have.

Yes, working 11-12 days a month is a tough schedule. What is it exactly about the schedule you're not sure of?
:)

How long would it take me to make it up to the big airlines like UPS? I know it varies for everyone, and job availability, but what is an estimate. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :)

I've known pilots that made it to a big airline by their mid 20's and I know some that made it to a big airline by their mid '40's and others that made it at all ages in between. Lots of factors play a role, some you can control, some you have absolutely no control over what so ever.

rangerofthewest
12-17-2011, 10:19 AM
It's very possible to make it up to airlines by 20. However, you need a minimum of 1500 hours, a multiengine rating, a jet rating for the jet you are flying, a commercial license, an ATP license, an High Performance Endorsment an IFR and Private licesne. If you work hard, you can make it in 6 years. But it's hard work to earn all those in 6 years.

Ryan Hornback
12-17-2011, 12:17 PM
The main part of the schedule I would not be sure of is just the fact of being away from my the family which I hope to have some day.

If I could get it by mid 20's it would be amazing. I don't live that far from the UPS World-port hub and would love to be able to fly for them one day, if I don't become a pilot though, I am going to go into other parts of aviation such as the engineering aspect of it, or avionics, or any other branch that I come across between now and then I find interesting possibly.

Still though, becoming a pilot would be a dream. I would be getting paid for my passion. :)

wotai
12-18-2011, 04:18 PM
Getting paid for your passion! That's awesome and that's the very reason why we all do it.

Do you plan on getting a degree as well?

Janet Davidson
12-18-2011, 06:22 PM
Rangerofthewest,

Assuming you are, as you say, 13 years old, what personal experience are you basing your time from start to the airlines on?

Ryan Hornback
12-18-2011, 08:05 PM
Wotai,

That is what I am thinking, getting paid to do what I love would be awesome.

I do plan on getting a degree. Actually I still have not decided if I want to be a pilot, or go into aerospace engineering, but I think I would enjoy the pilot job more. Either way I plan to get a degree in something a long with it. Seems like a good idea to have something to fall back on just in case something happens.

Matt Gonitzke
12-18-2011, 08:12 PM
I have a few friends that went the professional pilot route; one, a childhood friend that got his degree and all of his ratings at UND instructed for awhile after graduating, then flew cargo in a Shorts for a year or two. Last I heard he's a first officer for a regional carrier. A former college roommate of mine I think flew small twin turboprops for something, and also is now a first officer at a regional. A couple other people I know are still either in the small turboprop cargo/regional airline first officer area a few years after graduating with a degree.

rangerofthewest
12-19-2011, 04:35 PM
Janet,

1) For one, I have studied the manuals for obtaining these licesenses, 2) I had to do research for a school project on how to become an airline pilot (which I researched very much in depth), 3) I have 2 friends who fly airlines, who have thoroughly explained the process to me, and 4) I picked up tidbits from places about this process. So, to answer your question Janet, I have had some in depth experience wit this process, and it is enough for me to draw the conclusion of which I did above.

KDoersom
12-19-2011, 06:51 PM
Janet.

I have found the the average from I want to learn how to fly till you make it to a major is about 10 years. Figure 2-4 years to get ratings.1-3 years of teaching and the 3-4 years at the regionals.

Just my $.02.

Keith.