PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Ideas - Cutting Lexan Disks

rwanttaja
05-09-2021, 02:30 PM
I'm trying to come up with a way to easily cut out disks of Lexan to a given diameter.

A fly cutter would be ideal...but I don't want the center hole that a fly cutter normally produces. I want to end up with an unblemished disk of clear plastic. This isn't a standard size, so a hole saw won't work. And since the disks are to fit existing holders, a reasonable amount of precision is needed.

The only thing that comes to mind is to clamp down the plastic and use the fly cutter without the pilot drill. Any other ideas?

Ron Wanttaja

Frank Giger
05-09-2021, 04:33 PM
Sounds like you need to modify a hole cutter, which is an arm that comes off a center drill that has two adjustable cutting blade.

The modification is to shorten the center drill to where is it below the cutting edge of the blades. Put a thin sheet of plywood or something on top of the piece you want, clamp it with the plexiglass, and go to town.

https://www.amazon.com/Adjustable-Hole-Klein-Tools-53731/dp/B00529WW6O/ref=sr_1_28?_encoding=UTF8&c=ts&dchild=1&keywords=Hole+Saws&qid=1620599419&s=power-hand-tools&sr=1-28&ts_id=256292011

[edit]

Sorry, you mentioned "fly cutter" which is probably the same thing I'm thinking of.

Frank "Why are all your tools ground down?" Giger

Bill Berson
05-09-2021, 04:50 PM
Maybe a 3" (or whatever size) disc of 3/4" wood with a pilot hole half inch deep but not all the way through. The disk would fit in a scrap of plywood with a three inch hole.

Dana
05-09-2021, 05:12 PM
Band saw?

FlyingRon
05-09-2021, 05:42 PM
Holesaw without the pilot bit.

rwanttaja
05-09-2021, 07:18 PM
Sounds like you need to modify a hole cutter, which is an arm that comes off a center drill that has two adjustable cutting blade.

[edit]

Sorry, you mentioned "fly cutter" which is probably the same thing I'm thinking of.

Yes, close, but yours at least has two arms. This is what I have:

Holesaw without the pilot bit.

Yes, but hole saws come in specific sizes, and I need something that'll be between the sizes. Their sizes are also the OUTSIDE diameter, and I'd actually be needing a specific inside diameter. Though I'll have to look at my 3" hole saw, the ID might be close.

Band saw?

Part of the problem is that I will probably want to produce several of these, and am hoping to reduce the amount of cutting and filing to fit.

The thread on the P-51 panel got me to thinking about building simulated instruments for a similar replica panel. I used Solidworks to design the instrument bezel, fitting into a standard hole and designed to take a piece of glass/plexiglass/lexan. The problem is, the lip is only about 0.1" wide. Since the simulated instrument has to fit into a standard hole, changing the size to match available tooling isn't really an option.
So I'd love to be able to use a standard setup and crank out a number of these. Once I get the front bezel settled, I'll start working on the back half of the instrument, to include the face and the needle.

Ron Wanttaja

Jeff Point
05-09-2021, 07:26 PM
How about a laminate bit in a router? Use other tools to make a template disc out of Al or plywood and duplicate it in plexi using the laminate bit. Carpet tape could attach the plexi blank to the template.

steve
05-09-2021, 08:23 PM
I worked at a ski boot factory 41 years ago. We would stamp out shapes that resembled a bowtie from 4x8 sheets of lexan. Our lexan was .125 thick. The cutter was thin tool steel with a knife edge along one long edge. These thin lengths of tool steel were embedded in a slot machined in a thick wood base plate. Think of a giant cookie cutter. We had a big hydraulic press but you might could use an arbor press to make a few if your stock is thin enough.

Bill Berson
05-09-2021, 09:49 PM
Should work with no pilot in the drill press if you go real slow and clamped tight.

rwanttaja
05-10-2021, 01:15 AM
How about a laminate bit in a router? Use other tools to make a template disc out of Al or plywood and duplicate it in plexi using the laminate bit. Carpet tape could attach the plexi blank to the template.

That's a very good thought. Using the router didn't occur to me, probably because they scare the bejesus out of me. But that would certainly work, and I have several types of laminate bits.

This is where Solidworks and a 3D printer come in handy. I can draw up and print the pattern for the laminate bit, including any handling aids needed (like a countersunk hole dead center for a bolt).

Ron Wanttaja

CraigCantwell
05-10-2021, 07:44 AM
Ron: Much easier this way...: https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=40806&catid=441

or: https://www.amazon.com/MEYA-20pcs-Acrylic-Plexiglass-Circle/dp/B078PHHJB4/ref=sr_1_13?dchild=1&keywords=Plastic+Discs&qid=1620654244&sr=8-13

rwanttaja
05-10-2021, 09:51 AM
Ron: Much easier this way...: https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=40806&catid=441

or: https://www.amazon.com/MEYA-20pcs-Acrylic-Plexiglass-Circle/dp/B078PHHJB4/ref=sr_1_13?dchild=1&keywords=Plastic+Discs&qid=1620654244&sr=8-13

Ha! Might be worth it. Cost isn't that bad, especially the ones on Amazon.

I thought it was too big (my glass specs at about 2.9"), but it made me think about my design. I'd completely forgotten the instrument hole is 3 1/8"; I need to enlarge my design slightly, at which point an even 3" diameter glass disk would probably be right.

I need to rework the design anyway, some instruments are installed from the pilot side of the panel, and my outline is wrong for that.

Ron Wanttaja

Dana
05-10-2021, 05:56 PM
Remember that a 3" holesaw will cut a disk about 2.875" diameter, allowing for a 1/16" kerf, there's your 2.9".

There are also 3-blade adjustable holesaws that might work better without a pilot than a 1- or 2-blade flycutter. I have an old Craftsman one but they're still made today by other companies.

rv7charlie
05-11-2021, 07:08 AM
The pre-cut disks look reasonably priced, but since you're rolling your own bezels via 3d print, why not design the bezel to take a square lens? Or find a community college nearby with a tech lab, or a 'maker space', and use their LASER to cut your own discs?

Bill Berson
05-12-2021, 08:03 PM
1/16" Lexan can be cut easily with sheet metal snips if you want it quickly by hand.

rwanttaja
05-13-2021, 07:23 PM
Thanks much for the advice. If I were building a 4" instrument, I'd probably use a router. But I bought the Amazon 3" disks, because if I build any more instruments, most are probably going to be three inches.

A quick slap-together of the final product. It's not actually bolted to this old Warwick Bantam instrument panel, so it's not lined up.
Instrument face is just printed on plain paper with a standard ink-jet. I have a small sublimation printer that'll put some gloss on it; may give it a shot.

Learned quite a bit on this one, will come in useful if I end up making any more.

Ron Wanttaja

CraigCantwell
05-14-2021, 08:50 AM
Didn't know the Bantam was that fast....:rollseyes:

Bob Willman
05-14-2021, 09:27 AM

If you have access to a lathe, make 2 wood templates to actual size. Clamp oversize Lexan between wood templates in headstock and tailstock and turn lexan to size.

Bob
WB8NQW

rwanttaja
05-14-2021, 10:01 AM
Didn't know the Bantam was that fast....:rollseyes:

Of course! "Bantam" is an anagram for "Batman", you know.... :-)

Actually, my model was a P-51 airspeed.

If you have access to a lathe, make 2 wood templates to actual size. Clamp oversize Lexan between wood templates in headstock and tailstock and turn lexan to size.
That's an interesting idea. I guess one could use carpet tape to really tie down the Lexan. I may give it a try, if only as an excuse to run my lathe.

Ron Wanttaja

martymayes
05-14-2021, 06:17 PM
I'm trying to come up with a way to easily cut out disks of Lexan to a given diameter.

Any other ideas?

Stack them in a lathe between centers and turn them. I have done this before and it works very well, the OD can be turned to +/- .005" without too much effort.

mmarien
05-14-2021, 07:27 PM
I've been using a CNC router for a few years for my Hatz build. I have cut plexiglass, wood and now aluminum. Depending on the max size you want to cut, a small 12"x24" CNC router will cost less than $500. It's my most versatile tool. Some projects:

Wood nose pieces for the wings.

Elevator trim handle cut from 1/8" aluminum

Elevator trim built from aluminum

Face plate for elevator trim cut from plexiglass.

Throttle quadrant made from aluminum.

Frank Giger
05-14-2021, 07:47 PM
My WebFu is weak, sir, so if you could tell me which machine you got I'd be much obliged.

mmarien
05-15-2021, 07:54 PM
I bought mine a few years ago from Amazon. It's not listed anymore. There are plenty of other CNC routers listed on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=3040+cnc+router&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

You will need some computer skills as the parts are all designed on a computer.

mbauer
05-21-2021, 07:33 PM

A fly cutter would be ideal...but I don't want the center hole that a fly cutter normally produces. I want to end up with an unblemished disk of clear plastic. This isn't a standard size, so a hole saw won't work. And since the disks are to fit existing holders, a reasonable amount of precision is needed.

The only thing that comes to mind is to clamp down the plastic and use the fly cutter without the pilot drill. Any other ideas?

Ron Wanttaja

Why cut. Lexan has a low temp threshold. Make a correct diameter ring slightly over size and heat metal ring with torch to melt the disc. ring will need a handle, good idea to use a small diameter handle that can be chucked in a drill press. Not rotating but use the handles to press the heated "branding iron" down with equal force.

Used to work with plastics, when we worked with lexan, 150 deg F for 8-hours to remove excess moisture then we would very quickly bend or put on vacuum table.

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

vondeliusc
05-23-2021, 05:07 PM

Ron Wanttaja

CNC: I do this all the time.
My 6040 (~18"x24") was about $1000 and is a brilliant tool for SO many things.
-Christian von Delius

mmarien
05-24-2021, 06:26 AM
CNC routers and 3D printers work for more than building parts. If you look closely at my elevator trim picture in my post above, the ball screw mechanism is a part from a 3D printer.

Frank Giger
05-31-2021, 09:16 AM
So what was the ultimate solution?

rwanttaja
05-31-2021, 09:59 AM
So what was the ultimate solution?

I bought the 20-piece set on Amazon for $15. Now I have to come up with something to do with the remaining 17. Could make some really ugly goggles, I suppose.

Really appreciate the range of suggestions, here. Intrigued with the concept of using a CNC router. If I could come up with MORE things to use it for, I might buy one.

Ron Wanttaja