PDA

View Full Version : New Replacement Engine for Continental O-200 ??

Ronald Franck
03-09-2021, 09:34 AM
Does anyone have updated information on this engine in development?
I don't know if it's something I should wait for or if I should just move forward with a different engine choice?

http://www.epi-eng.com/aircraft_engine_products/aircooled_4-cyl_aircraft_engine.htm

Sam Buchanan
03-10-2021, 07:10 AM
Guess it depends on when you need an engine.

If you can wait a few years until a new engine has accumulated a few tens of thousands of hours of field history (and the company looks like it will survive so it can support the engine) then you might give it a chance.

WLIU
03-10-2021, 07:26 PM
I observe that most builders have their hands full assembling the airplane and working out the inevitable adjustments that are identified in the first few hours of flight. It appears to take a really committed builder, with a healthy budget, to also sign up for working out the inevitable "bugs" involved with the installation of a different type of powerplant. Projects appear to get into the air sooner with a well understood engine that has a healthy support system. Which is to say that if you are on a budget you likely want to be customer 1000 not customer 10.

Best of luck,

Wes

Bill Berson
03-10-2021, 09:00 PM
The undisclosed well-known engine development client is likely Dynon/Vashon for the light sport Vashon Ranger.

mbalexander
03-11-2021, 06:28 AM
The undisclosed well-known engine development client is likely Dynon/Vashon for the light sport Vashon Ranger.

The Vashon Ranger is...............somewhat RV related. :)

Bill Berson
03-11-2021, 10:21 AM

Ok. I got it. Took ten minutes.

steve
03-14-2021, 06:46 PM
Because one of Van's chief engineers moved over to Vashon 4-ish years ago.

mbalexander
03-15-2021, 05:28 AM
Because one of Van's chief engineers moved over to Vashon 4-ish years ago.

That was my point.

Bill Berson
03-15-2021, 03:42 PM
I thought VR was somewhat like RV.