PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning a fibreglass tank

99charlie
03-04-2021, 12:21 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum. Does anyone have advice on cleaning gasoline resin off a fibreglass tank which was allowed to become dry. I have added some gas to the tank and it comes out clear but I’m concerned that resin may flake off the walls of tank.

Thanks for suggestions.

planecrazzzy
03-05-2021, 03:40 PM
Can you put a roll (or more) of Quarters in it and move it around with fluid...

Or Nickels.....( nothing that might spark )

Count them when your done.

Gotta Fly...

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum. Does anyone have advice on cleaning gasoline resin off a fibreglass tank which was allowed to become dry. I have added some gas to the tank and it comes out clear but I’m concerned that resin may flake off the walls of tank.

Thanks for suggestions.

Bill Berson
03-05-2021, 06:24 PM
If the comment "gasoline resin" is actually sloshing compound then you may have a serious problem.
Over time the sloshing compound can turn to goo.

99charlie
03-05-2021, 07:03 PM
Thanks for your reply. Once they are in, I don’t know how could get the coins out of the tank.

99charlie
03-05-2021, 07:12 PM
Thanks for reply Bill. I intended to say ‘gasoline varnish’, ie the coating left on the walls of the tank when the gasoline has evaporated. I don’t know how to remove the varnish without damaging the fibreglass. I will add some fresh gas and slosh it around in the tank, then drain to see if any varnish flakes come out.

planecrazzzy
03-06-2021, 03:54 AM
I guess you can't remove the tank ?
This was the only way the coins would work... By tumbling them around in the tank.
Turning the tank over and shaking until the coins were out.

Sounds like a big fuel filter is needed...
Gotta Fly...

Thanks for your reply. Once they are in, I don’t know how could get the coins out of the tank.

99charlie
03-06-2021, 08:26 AM
Removing the tank will be very difficult, but if that’s the only option, I will do it and try the coins. Thanks for suggestions,

Bill Berson
03-07-2021, 10:19 AM
Push a frayed rope inside and slosh it around.

99charlie
03-07-2021, 04:11 PM
I’ll try your suggestion. Thanks

cub builder
03-09-2021, 04:23 PM
Personally, I would use the cleaning solution (KBS Klean) from KBS coatings. I have used it on Aluminum and composite tanks to clean and prep for repairs with very good results.

99charlie
03-10-2021, 03:58 PM
Thanks for your suggestion. I phone KBS and they said that KBS Klean is suitable for removing gasoline varnish on the inside of a fibreglass tank. They advised to use it mixed with the same quantity of hot water then slosh it and leave it overnight before draining.