PDA

View Full Version : Video: I've just started a new series on the Garmin avionics in my Legacy

PiInTheSky
11-13-2020, 02:58 PM
I'm still amazed by how much workload these newer integrated avionics help remove. The key is knowing how to use them.

If you're interested, the series is here. Hope you enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQUA6pFgBW0&list=PL-BJHrSN9S_PIJav668fxs-c8atau8RK3

Would love feedback,
Thanks folks,
Kurt

2ndsegment
11-24-2020, 11:52 AM
I'm pleased to see your orientation to an exact build of a panel. My background is with aircraft performance and operational and mission analysis. My first acquaintance with an aircraft panel was the navigator's version in a USAF B-52 in 1968 and the kinds of calculations and pre-comps for the Astrotracker and LORAN-A,C. About the same time I met something new, a H.U.D. As a pilot my hands on was with the Flight Manual or -1for a KC-135 and for an A-4 Skyhawk and the various graphs and charts necessary to update from toss bombing to dive toss and dive delivery with an inertial system and at first a gyro-computing gun sight like in the F-100. This was for the Marine corps version and later an Israeli version as well as the Harrier.

So how do I get to the basic pilot panel? The McDonnell Aircraft Corporation merged with Douglas Aircraft Company in 1968/69 and I was asked to coordinate with the Missile and Space Division of both companys to get aircraft to act correctly in a computer program used on the FX Contract Definition called Air Battle Simulation-II. A big jump from looking at Syllabi for B-58 and FB-111 WSO and DSO Combat Crew Training System integration with navigator and Bomb Navigator procedures trainers for the B-52. After getting the Navy happy with work done on a Missile program called QUICKTURN I was allowed to bring back the work I had reviewed with the Navy Fighter Weapon School incidental to attending "Top Gun" class 70-1. At McDonnell I got to see the full motion simulators they were building for the C-5 and the A-7 and why they were getting out of that business to only doing Engineering Development simulation with crew stations in spherical projection balls and a 5-DOF on a boom weapon delivery simulator. There one ball had round gauges and one ball had novel CRT displays. (1970). And now I see the Legacy form of flat panel for GA.

2ndsegment
11-27-2020, 11:10 AM
How do you set up the wind? My own experience was with a Boeing publication, "Enroute Winds Aloft". Later I would consult the days transcripts at the Douglas Aircraft flight Office. Without a Doppler, the GPS has a total route responsibility once the airport report is cleared. This is your briefing. Dismiss my comments as obsolete and continue.

2ndsegment
11-29-2020, 03:58 PM
I just woke up looking at the second one again. You are punching buttons where in my mind you were setting up as in a simulation making touch actions! ��

PiInTheSky
12-05-2020, 08:10 AM
I just woke up looking at the second one again. You are punching buttons where in my mind you were setting up as in a simulation making touch actions! ��

Not sure I understand your comment, do you mean the setup I do with the autopilot before departing?

Best!
Kurt

2ndsegment
12-06-2020, 10:55 AM
Yes, I see the buttons are not just in a box around the display as once was used and are actual buttons that push and not just images on active areas of a multipurpose display. It's an issue with me because of the size of the display. My computer that had an issue with a touch screen had a 17 inch display. Years ago I had issues with an "altitude" derived from a pressure sensor without integration with GPS. Aren't I the frazzle?