PDA

View Full Version : Solidworks site indicates serial number from EAA site is invalid

Vyking
11-09-2020, 10:13 AM
Title days it all. There is a disconnect with the 5-step EAA script for SW download and the SW solidworks.com/sek interface. For 3 successive days, the SW site indicates that serial numbers both 2020-2021 and
2019-2020 editions are invalid. If I indicate that I do not have a serial number beginning with 9020, the SW site deviates from the EAA script and does not offer a download option. Either way, I cannot d/l Solidworks on a new SSD.

MarkG
11-09-2020, 11:44 AM
Did you remove the spaces? I had to do that before it would accept the serial number.

But it still doesn't give me any way to download the software.

Edit: in Chromium. I was able to download the setup .exe using Firefox.

Vyking
11-09-2020, 05:18 PM
Before my post that opened this thread, in frustration I went through the open-account process that resulted in on-line trial account. Since then, when attempting to download the EAA version, I indicated that I have a serial number, but the next page related to the on-line account and I was not even offered the opportunity to enter the serial number from EAA's script. Perhaps SW's log-in process precluded an EAA option, and I found no way to delete the account. MarkG's post immediately above suggests that spaces in the serial number were an issue. If so, EAA should have caught that. There are MANY posts on this forum related to inability to download and EAA NEEDS TO GET WITH SOLIDWORKS AND STRAIGHTEN OUT THE PROCESS. Trying to take advantage of an EAA member benefit should not lead to frustrated members.

Sam Oleson
11-11-2020, 01:18 PM
Hi Vyking and MarkG, we are in the process of creating new download instructions. As soon as that is ready, we will make that available to everyone. Apologies for the troubles you've been having.

Vyking
11-13-2020, 07:00 PM
David Leiting at EAA sent me an email with revised steps to download SW 2020-2012 and using the essence of the steps, I was able to get SW 2020-2020 installed. Earlier, following the old instructions, I uninstalled SW 2019-2020, had problems installing 2020-2021, and had to reinstall the older version. This time, I download the new install file BEFORE removing SW 2019-2020 just to sure I had a working version of SW available. That's contrary to the EAA script, but it worked.

My thanks to David and EAA for the update.

rwanttaja
12-09-2020, 09:24 PM
A bit of a follow-up on this.

I updated my Solidworks tonight. Pretty straightforward, except for one thing.

The EAA user instructions provided a 24-character activation code in a continuous format (like "2020SD6700319930YDER"...not the actual code, of course!) and said to copy and paste it into the entry when activating Solidworks.

Unfortunately, Solidworks takes the activation code in six four-character blocks, not a continuous stream. Copy and paste isn't possible. Eyeballing the four-character blocks is possible, but it fraught with opportunity to make mistakes (I eventually copied it into Excel to split it).

Could the EAA instructions be updated to separate the code into the four-character blocks? Would have to copy each block separately, but it would be nice not to have to parse it by eyeball.

Ron Wanttaja