PDA

View Full Version : Can't Find A Download Link

Eric Page
11-06-2020, 01:08 PM
I have carefully followed the instructions on this page (https://eaa.org/eaa/eaa-membership/eaa-member-benefits/solidworks-resource-center/eaa-solidworks-standard), and in the PDF document I received after completing Step 2 of those instructions.

The PDF directs me to: 1. uninstall previous versions (not applicable); 2. go to solidworks.com/sek (done); 3. fill out the request form with EAA's info (done); and, 4. Download SolidWorks. It ain't that easy. Read on...

After completing Steps 1 through 3, I was taken to a registration page for "MySolidWorks." I reluctantly completed that registration with the same contact info I have on file with EAA (why does DS need my physical home address and phone number?). They said I would get an email with a link to click to complete my registration, but that email never came.

I tried logging in anyway and was accepted, but my profile in MySolidWorks shows me as a "Guest" user. If I click the link to register as a "Student," it asks for a school name, year of graduation, student serial number, etc. Clearly, that doesn't apply to EAA members.

I cannot find any way to download the software, and no evidence that SolidWorks linked me to EAA. Why does it have to be this difficult, and where do I need to look for the SolidWorks download?

Thanks.

Eric Page
11-06-2020, 01:22 PM
It gets better...

When I look at my profile on my.solidworks.com, and click on "Manage your SOLIDWORKS ID," it takes me to a page at customerportal.solidworks.com that shows my name, email and phone number, but a company name of "Eaa" and someone else's address in Toledo, OH. I live in Toledo, WA, and I definitely entered my own address when I registered.

I would sincerely appreciate any help getting this mess fixed.

tebawg
11-06-2020, 05:16 PM
I'm having the the same guest but no links to download problem.

I have carefully followed the instructions on this page (https://eaa.org/eaa/eaa-membership/eaa-member-benefits/solidworks-resource-center/eaa-solidworks-standard), and in the PDF document I received after completing Step 2 of those instructions.

The PDF directs me to: 1. uninstall previous versions (not applicable); 2. go to solidworks.com/sek (done); 3. fill out the request form with EAA's info (done); and, 4. Download SolidWorks. It ain't that easy. Read on...

After completing Steps 1 through 3, I was taken to a registration page for "MySolidWorks." I reluctantly completed that registration with the same contact info I have on file with EAA (why does DS need my physical home address and phone number?). They said I would get an email with a link to click to complete my registration, but that email never came.

I tried logging in anyway and was accepted, but my profile in MySolidWorks shows me as a "Guest" user. If I click the link to register as a "Student," it asks for a school name, year of graduation, student serial number, etc. Clearly, that doesn't apply to EAA members.

I cannot find any way to download the software, and no evidence that SolidWorks linked me to EAA. Why does it have to be this difficult, and where do I need to look for the SolidWorks download?

Thanks.

Eric Page
11-06-2020, 07:29 PM
The email from SolidWorks finally arrived, five hours later. I clicked the link in the email to verify my email address, which produced a page thanking me for doing so and inviting me to login. When I did, I ended up on a "Siebel Customer Portal Home" page. This has a section for downloads, but virtually all of the choices are grayed out with a little lock icon next to them. The lock means, "Active subscription service contract required for full access."

So, still no way to download the SolidWorks installer.

tebawg
11-08-2020, 10:04 PM
I'm filling in everything here, but what do they want for the date? I've filled this in a bunch of times now. I keep getting sent to various webpages, I eventually see one that says I'm a guest. I've seen one that says it has down load links but they are disabled. How does one download SolidWorks?

Thanks.

MarkG
11-09-2020, 09:47 AM
Same here. I followed the instructions, Solidworks asked me to create an account, I did that... and now there's no sign of a download link.

I thought maybe I had to register as a student, and it accepted the serial number and says I have a year's subscription, but still no sign of a download link.

If I go through the process again, it asks for the same info then just takes me to the 'My Profile' page.

Chris611
11-09-2020, 10:07 AM
I recently switched computers to run SW on and am having the same issues with getting a download link. Thought maybe it was because it was the weekend, but havne't seen anything yet today. If you guys get it figured out, please post what worked here so I can try it.

Thanks.

Tacco
11-09-2020, 11:51 AM
Same problems here. Is Solidworks no longer supporting the EAA download agreement?

Tacco
11-09-2020, 11:52 AM
Same exact problem here.

MarkG
11-09-2020, 11:57 AM
Ah ha ha....

It doesn't work for me in Chromium. It does work in Firefox.

In Chromium the download request page has a 'select blah (optional)' box which doesn't let me select anything. In Firefox I could select 'Other' and that then took me to a download link later.

Or maybe the download link only appears in Firefox and not Chromium for some reason.

Chris611
11-09-2020, 12:02 PM
Ah ha ha....

It doesn't work for me in Chromium. It does work in Firefox.

In Chromium the download request page has a 'select blah (optional)' box which doesn't let me select anything. In Firefox I could select 'Other' and that then took me to a download link later.

Or maybe the download link only appears in Firefox and not Chromium for some reason.

Was it a popup window that appears? I tried it in firefox with no luck. I also shut off the popup blocker to see if that solved it. Maybe I didn't get it turned off corretly.

MarkG
11-09-2020, 12:12 PM
It took me to the 'My Profile' page, but that page had a download link which isn't there in Chromium.

As I mentioned earlier, I had registered as a student on that page because I thought maybe that was required to get the download. I don't know whether it is or whether that was a mistake, but since it referred to the SEK there it seemed like maybe I was meant to.

Eric Page
11-09-2020, 01:46 PM
Firefox doesn't work for me either. I didn't bother with Edge since it's now based on Chromium.

I poked around a little bit more on SolidWorks' website, using Internet Explorer. If you go to my.solidworks.com/support, then click on the "Desktop Solutions" tab, there's a link for Downloads. Clicking that takes you to solidworks.com/sw/support/downloads.htm. In the middle of that page, where the actual downloads should be, is a link that says, "Login for full access to the latest SolidWorks release and updates" (I'M ALREADY LOGGED IN!!!). Clicking that link does nothing but reload the same page (at least in Explorer; in Chrome and Firefox the link was dead, and did nothing at all).

Then I tried registering as a student on the My Profile (http://my.solidworks.com/myprofile/subscription) page. I entered "Experimental Aircraft Association" as the school name, "2021" for year of graduation, and "https://eaa.org/" for the school's website. It accepted the EAA serial number and said I now had a Student account. Still no download link.

I fooled around for a few more minutes (still using Explorer), trying various things, and ended up back on the My Profile page. Lo and behold, a download button had appeared!! I picked "2020" from the dropdown, punched the Download button, and it FINALLY fed me SolidWorksSetup.exe.

Out of curiosity, I went back to the My Profile page with Chrome, and the Download button now appears in that browser as well.

I've been using computers since the late 70s and I've seen a lot of bad user interface and website design, but this takes the cake. What an unbelievable goat rope. Dassault Systemes should be ashamed.

Wish me luck with the installation...

Eric Page
11-09-2020, 01:49 PM
I'm filling in everything here, but what do they want for the date?
I used today's date. See my last post, above; I seem to have broken the code. Go through the process using Explorer, register as a student, give it some time to cogitate, then the Download button might appear. If you're lucky.

Eric Page
11-09-2020, 03:09 PM
Somewhat predictably, the installation failed. I entered EAA's serial numbers (using copy/paste, so no fat-finger errors) into the installer for the core program and for the Electrical Schematic and PCB components. There are two separate entry lines for "SOLIDWORKS Electrical Schematic" and "SOLIDWORKS PCB," and entering the single EAA serial number for both returns the following error:

"Enter a different serial number for each product. (Note that SOLIDWORKS Professional and SOLIDWORKS Premium include some of the listed products and do not require additional serial numbers.)"

I unchecked the "SOLIDWORKS PCB" component and tried again. This time it contacted the server, then returned this error:

"Your serial number does not entitle you to SOLIDWORKS Electrical Schematic 2020. If your license is new, you may want to try again later. Otherwise contact your reseller to verify that the number is correct. You will still be able to choose the products you want to install, but you will not be able to download any installation files. If you continue without downloading enabled, you will need to provide a complete set of download source files or a DVD from which to install."

Is anyone at EAA monitoring this forum? Can someone sort out the serial numbers and let us know what to use for the Electrical Schematic and PCB components? The serial number listed in the instructions that are provided at Step 2, here (https://eaa.org/eaa/eaa-membership/eaa-member-benefits/solidworks-resource-center/eaa-solidworks-standard), is apparently dead.

MarkG
11-09-2020, 03:39 PM
I used that serial for the PCB component. I'm not sure whether it covers the electrical schematics; it's not obvious from the page where whether it means both or only means PCB.

That then got the software working and activated.

Eric Page
11-09-2020, 06:18 PM
Well, the instructions from EAA say, "Electrical / PCB (check box and enter serial): 9020..." Since the word "Schematic" is missing, I guess that could be taken to mean both components -or- just PCB.

However, having a PCB layout tool without a schematic tool is pretty much pointless, and most builders will have a lot more use for the schematic tool (for electrical system architecture drawings), so I'm guessing it's supposed to work for both.

Given the way EAA's instructions are worded, I'll bet the two tools used to be combined under one serial number, and SolidWorks has split them apart without telling EAA.

I tried to install it with just Electrical Schematic and it didn't work.

MarkG
11-09-2020, 06:29 PM
Yeah, that's what I was wondering; were they once the same tool but now split apart?

That said, mine installed some kind of Solidworks Electrical app as well as the PCB. I opened that app but don't know enough about it to even try to use it.

Chris611
11-09-2020, 07:46 PM
Firefox doesn't work for me either. I didn't bother with Edge since it's now based on Chromium.

I poked around a little bit more on SolidWorks' website, using Internet Explorer. If you go to my.solidworks.com/support, then click on the "Desktop Solutions" tab, there's a link for Downloads. Clicking that takes you to solidworks.com/sw/support/downloads.htm. In the middle of that page, where the actual downloads should be, is a link that says, "Login for full access to the latest SolidWorks release and updates" (I'M ALREADY LOGGED IN!!!). Clicking that link does nothing but reload the same page (at least in Explorer; in Chrome and Firefox the link was dead, and did nothing at all).

Then I tried registering as a student on the My Profile (http://my.solidworks.com/myprofile/subscription) page. I entered "Experimental Aircraft Association" as the school name, "2021" for year of graduation, and "https://eaa.org/" for the school's website. It accepted the EAA serial number and said I now had a Student account. Still no download link.

I fooled around for a few more minutes (still using Explorer), trying various things, and ended up back on the My Profile page. Lo and behold, a download button had appeared!! I picked "2020" from the dropdown, punched the Download button, and it FINALLY fed me SolidWorksSetup.exe.

Out of curiosity, I went back to the My Profile page with Chrome, and the Download button now appears in that browser as well.

I've been using computers since the late 70s and I've seen a lot of bad user interface and website design, but this takes the cake. What an unbelievable goat rope. Dassault Systemes should be ashamed.

Wish me luck with the installation...

This worked for me. However, I never got the email to finish the registration. I probably took 1.5-2 hrs for the download box to show up. But it's downloading now.

Thanks Eric!

Hooch
11-11-2020, 03:06 AM
Doesn't work for me.
Even after many days I still don't have download button. There is just a link with Login request (I am logged in) that does absolutely nothing when pressed.

Sam Oleson
11-11-2020, 01:20 PM
Hello everyone, we're working on creating new download instructions. We hope to have that ready sometime in the near future. As soon as that is completed, we'll share it with everyone. Apologies for the trouble you've all been having.

Eric Page
11-11-2020, 03:17 PM
Thanks, Sam. I received an email from a member of EAA staff with the new instructions. I asked him about the Electrical/PCB issue and was told that the Electrical Schematic module is automatically installed with the core program, and we just need the second serial number for the PCB module. I re-started the installation and can confirm that this is the case. The installer showed the modules that would be installed, and both Schematic and PCB were listed. My computer is working on the massive download now.

The new instructions pretty much mirror what we discovered in the thread above. Those new instructions should be posted to the EAA website, at Step 2, here (https://eaa.org/eaa/eaa-membership/eaa-member-benefits/solidworks-resource-center/eaa-solidworks-standard), but if you're still getting the old ones, and you didn't get an email from EAA, send me a private message and I'll forward the EAA staffer's email to you directly.

I'm not going to post his email address publicly for obvious reasons, and I'm not going to send serial numbers via PM, so please don't ask. It's too easy for a non-member to register for the forum and send a PM.

Thanks to the fine folks at EAA HQ for helping to get this sorted out, and for publishing the updated instructions!

tebawg
12-31-2020, 12:33 PM
Hey thanks everyone. I got it up and running with the new instructions sent to me.

vvv850
01-07-2021, 03:49 AM
Hey, I am in the same boat. The download link does not appear after 3 days after registration. It also seems that the instructions from EAA are the old ones (from 11.11.20). Any help would be appreciated.

Eric Page
01-07-2021, 11:54 AM
The 11/11/20 instructions on the EAA website are the latest method of download and installation; they were created in reaction to this thread.

How far into the process have you gotten? When you say "registration," what do you mean? It's a two-step process, which isn't immediately obvious. If you're registered on MySolidworks, you may just have a "Guest" account. You also have to register as a student on the 'My Profile (http://my.solidworks.com/myprofile/subscription)' page, under the 'My Subscription' tab. In the Student Information section, enter the following:

School Name: EAA
Year of Graduation: 2021
School Website URL: EAA.org
Student Serial #: (This should auto populate if you went through the initial registration process and entered the EAA serial number.)
Select to Download: 2020

Once that's done, it may take a few hours before the download link appears, but it should show up on the 'My Profile' page, eventually.

Note that I had to use Internet Explorer to accomplish this. It was the ONLY browser out of the four (Chrome, Firefox, Edge and Explorer) that I tried that would work on the Solidworks website. In all of the others, there were links that didn't work, frustrating the process.

Jeffrey Meyer
01-08-2021, 09:33 AM
Note that I had to use Internet Explorer to accomplish this. It was the ONLY browser out of the four (Chrome, Firefox, Edge and Explorer) that I tried that would work on the Solidworks website. In all of the others, there were links that didn't work, frustrating the process.
My installation worked just fine first try using Chrome - I haven't used Internet Explorer for many years. Maybe I have better connections in the Holy land;)

Happy new year.

vvv850
01-31-2021, 02:25 AM
Sorry for the late reply.

This is what I'm getting regardless of browser (IE, Edge, Chrome, Firefox)

Am I missing something else?

Thanks

Eric Page
01-31-2021, 12:03 PM
Looks like you're properly registered. I have no idea why you're not getting a download link. I've sent you a PM with an EAA contact.