PDA

View Full Version : seat track source

LJM
06-26-2020, 06:24 PM
Any source of raw Cesena style seat track? Does not need to be approved. I can only find expensive approved premade track.

Thanks,
larry

martymayes
06-27-2020, 10:23 PM
Any source of raw Cesena style seat track? Does not need to be approved. I can only find expensive approved premade track.

The closest thing I have ever seen is from a company that makes scale railroad track for model railroading. Similar (but not exact) profile, simliar (but not exact) dimensions. Not sure of the material specs, hardness, etc. I think aviation seat track is not a generic extrusion but rather a manufacturer spec'd extrusion and I think the manufacturer would be tight lipped about specifics.

FlyingRon
06-28-2020, 11:12 AM
Would something like this work. It's designed for cargo tiedowns in trailers and the like. It's "aircraft grade" for what that's worth.
https://www.cargoequipmentcorp.com/Heavy-Duty-L-Track?quantity=1&l_track_profile=3&l_track_mounting_option=2&l_track_length=2&campaignid=2065710684&adgroupid=81662319772&creative=366837539279&keyword=&matchtype=&network=u&device=c&gclid=CjwKCAjw_-D3BRBIEiwAjVMy7PZq7UCgvFZlrudybew6n5gJjYULKcqwbXxZ-6oFk7QiItbXVwLJfBoCyO0QAvD_BwE

LJM
06-28-2020, 02:46 PM
Unfortunately not for the seat, but perhaps I can for the luggage space. A very reasonable price too. I may call them and ask about the Cessna style rail..
thanks

WLIU
06-28-2020, 03:21 PM
Have you tried the aircraft salvage yards? Wentworth etc? Used parts typically are priced at 50% of new.

Best of luck,

Wes

Scooper
06-28-2020, 07:22 PM
The usual reason Cessna seat rails have to be replaced is that rail holes that the spring loaded seat adjustment rod lock into become elongated and worn beyond the specified maximum wear leading to the possibility that the rod slips out of the hole causing the seat to slide backward on the rail resulting in pilot loss of control. Be careful buying used rails; make sure the wear around the rod holes is within specified tolerance. I bit the bullet and bought from McFarlane.

WLIU
06-29-2020, 03:12 PM
When you go to a salvage yard you are not looking for worn-out seat rails. You are looking for a newer airplane that was totaled for other reasons and still has pretty new seat rails. There are a distressing number of ships out there that fit that description. But the reasons are another topic.

Best of luck,

Wes

Mike Switzer
06-29-2020, 03:30 PM
Be aware that the rivet holes in Cessna seat rails were not drilled to an exact pattern until sometime after 1975 (the newest "old" Cessna I have worked on). I replaced the seat rails on both a 73 182 & a 75 172, we had to drill out the rivets & slice the bottom of the old rail off & grind it flat to use as a pattern to drill holes that matched the holes in the floor. Predrilled rails & undrilled rails are both available from Cessna for this reason. Replacing a few of the rivets took 3 people & at least one of them needed to have small hands.

Carbiener
07-02-2020, 03:41 PM
That sounds like a lot of work, next time try this. Get a piece of sheet metal .032, .040 etc and cut out the same size as the seat rail base. Drill through the rail holes and through the sheet metal, instant template.

Mike Switzer
07-03-2020, 10:19 AM
It wasn't that bad, metal cutting blade on a band saw using the fence shaved it off pretty close. I don't remember at this point why we decided to do it like that.

FlyingRon
07-11-2020, 08:41 AM
Be aware that the rivet holes in Cessna seat rails were not drilled to an exact pattern until sometime after 1975 (the newest "old" Cessna I have worked on). I replaced the seat rails on both a 73 182 & a 75 172, we had to drill out the rivets & slice the bottom of the old rail off & grind it flat to use as a pattern to drill holes that matched the holes in the floor. Predrilled rails & undrilled rails are both available from Cessna for this reason. Replacing a few of the rivets took 3 people & at least one of them needed to have small hands.

This is like me putting my Navion back together after repairs. I'm trying to get the holes in the floor to line up and while it went perfectly on the left (pilot's seat) side, the holes just weren't there on the right side. It was a kind of a duh moment. I knew we had replaced the right wing but it didn't occur to me that the thing I was looking at for the holes was actually the top of the wing. Hand me up a drill so I can make the holes, guys...

Frank Giger
07-11-2020, 08:02 PM
Hahahaha....that's not an unusual forehead slap, Ron.