PDA

View Full Version : Spam !

Wilfred
12-11-2011, 09:07 AM
There are two 'ads' posted here; one for some Apple junk, another for Sasmsung stuff. Both have NOTHING to do with aviation and don't belong here.

Moderators -REMOVE THIS BLATANT SPAM !!!!

Matt Gonitzke
12-11-2011, 10:27 AM
I'm with you, Wilfred. I don't want to sound overly harsh, but there has to be something fundamentally wrong with the way registrations on this forum are approved. Three other forums I belong to for other interests of mine have more members that this one, have been around much longer, and have practically zero issues with this. In the time that I have belonged to one of them (about 8 years) there has not been a SINGLE spam post. The other two of those combined have had less spam posts over the last 5 years than this forum has in the past three weeks. Whatever process is being used here to weed out bogus users is not working...

Hal Bryan
12-11-2011, 12:14 PM
Believe me, we delete spam posts and ban the users as soon as we see them, and do our best to watch out for them any time day or night. A couple of weeks after we launched, we switched from the captcha method to the custom question, and spam posts dropped dramatically, but it obviously isn't perfect yet. There's a balance between making it easy for the right people to sign up and harder for the spammers - even with the simple process we're using now, I stll get a handful of complaints that it's already too complicated...I'm wide open to suggestions about improving the verification process within reason - we can't force every post or registrant through an approval process, for instance. Regardless, I'll make this a priority this coming week and see if I can find areas where we can improve. In the meantime, any time you see a spam post, please let us know right away by using the "report post" button to make sure we see it ASAP.

Thanks - Hal

P.S. One small point to consider - when I'm moderating "on the go" (away from a PC or tablet), I'm usually using Tapatalk on my iPhone. I've found that when I delete post using this app, it does a "soft" delete, which leaves the post title visible but greyed out, along with a message that the post was deleted. When I'm at my PC, deleting a post prompts me to choose between fully deleting it or doing the "soft" delete, and I always choose the former. The upshot of this is that you might still occasionally see spam post titles (but not their content) if I've removed it via my phone and haven't yet gotten to a full browser. I'll be extra aware of this going forward.

flyingriki
12-11-2011, 12:40 PM
Not a big deal Hal. You all do pretty good. Some folks just need to complain.....!

Bill Greenwood
12-11-2011, 12:44 PM
Wifred, why not just ignore the post that you don't like? It's not as if someone was knocking on your front door in the middle of the night.

And as for selling Apple stuff, if I read this site correctly, there are probably a lot more pilots vitally interested in discussing, buying, and "flying" I Pads and similar than a real airplane with just wings, tail, engine, and not many gadgets.

When I went to the AOPA convention in Hartford, the most attentended topic was the one about IPads.. Much more so than spins and recovery, IFR, Emergencies, or learning to fly.

Anymouse
12-11-2011, 02:24 PM
Bill,

The posts were bitchin' about are pure advertising BS that have nothing to with EAA. I think it's safe to say that no one wants them around.

Hal: Over on the Purple Board, we drastically reduced the number of spam posts (like 1 or 2 a year get posted now) after blocking a certain range of IP addresses. Let me know if you're interested in this range and I'll PM you with them.

Hal Bryan
12-11-2011, 03:50 PM
Yes, please - that's much appreciated!

Hiperbiper
12-11-2011, 08:27 PM
But i LIKE Spam.
A couple pieces of Spam on Black bread with jack cheese and hot mustard....YUM!

Mike Switzer
12-11-2011, 08:28 PM
I had spam spam eggs sausage & spam for breakfast the other day

flyingriki
12-11-2011, 10:34 PM
I had spam spam eggs sausage & spam for breakfast the other day

Come on Wilfred, more SPAM here to complain about!

Janet Davidson
12-12-2011, 07:34 AM
Anyone been to the spam museum in Minnesota? Great museum, definitely worth the $100 spamburger flight ;)

Dave Stadt
12-12-2011, 04:10 PM
Anyone been to the spam museum in Minnesota? Great museum, definitely worth the $100 spamburger flight ;)

A bunch of us flew up there a few years ago. Worth the trip and you come away a Spam expert. Great gift shop. Neat part is they poke a little fun at themselves. Restaurants in the area serve Spam. I don't suppose Wilfred would like it.

Mike Switzer
12-12-2011, 05:37 PM
Someone had to do it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anwy2MPT5RE

FunInAviation
12-13-2011, 10:31 AM
My father was a Sea Bee in WW II. I told him one day that I thought Spam was pretty good stuff. He replied with, "not the when you eat that s^&* three times a day!"

http://www.americainwwii.com/stories/spamagain.html

Bob Meder
12-13-2011, 09:23 PM
I like Spam, too! The parent company is a big customer of the company I work for...

Bill Greenwood
12-13-2011, 11:50 PM
Nothing is good when it is about all you have to live on! Hal Weekly tells of being shot down in his B-17 over France and being hidden in plain sight as a French farm worker by the underground. The farm was pretty poor, but did have grow fresh green beans. Great for the first few days, but after 6 weeks he got awfully tired of them. Hal went back some years ago to meet again and thank those who saved him.