PDA

View Full Version : Smooth Extrusions

rwanttaja
04-21-2020, 11:46 PM
Encountered a weird effect today. I use sketch to draw a circle 4" in diameter, then Extruded Boss/Base to basically generate a "can."

The problem is, the extrusion doesn't give a smooth surface. It's faceted. It generates a solid that's a set of flat surfaces, rather than showing a smooth exterior.

Here's a closeup of the problem:
http://www.wanttaja.com/facets.jpg

You can see the blue line of the sketch (a circle) but the Extrusion uses a polygon that approximates the circle. The contour appears to be formed of ~48 line segments instead of a smooth circle.

Is this an adjustment somewhere?

Ron Wanttaja

cwilliamrose
04-22-2020, 07:55 AM
You can adjust the image quality (in the document's options) to minimize that but if you zoom in close it will always be there. SWx defaults to a higher performance setting which is also lower quality on screen.

rwanttaja
04-22-2020, 11:29 AM
You can adjust the image quality (in the document's options) to minimize that but if you zoom in close it will always be there. SWx defaults to a higher performance setting which is also lower quality on screen.
Thanks! I was thinking the "Curvature Generation" selection in the "Systems Option" tab was the thing, but didn't see any effect when I changed it. Yours nailed it.

Ron Wanttaja