PDA

View Full Version : Why no EAA updates

scuba72
04-19-2020, 04:40 PM
Why are no EAA officials posting any updates? Last we heard from Jack Pelton was the 26th of March where he said, "I will keep you posted". I'm sure they monitor the forums.

I hate to sound negative, but I, at this time feel that Oshkosh 2020 should not occur unless its restricted to EAA members only, no general public. Even then, we will need to take precautions. I'm sure EAA would never go for that since non EAA members infuse $$$$ to there revenue. There can be no opening day concert due to social distancing which I feel will go on well past July. Can you imagine little X's painted or taped all over the grounds 6 feet apart?

I hope I'm wrong.

Dave in Missouri

Kyle Boatright
04-19-2020, 04:43 PM
I'm guessing they haven't made their final decision. It is kind of pointless to make repeated statements of:

"We haven't decided. Stay tuned."

CHICAGORANDY
04-19-2020, 04:54 PM
I'm guessing they haven't made their final decision. It is kind of pointless to make repeated statements of:

"We haven't decided. Stay posted."

+1 - I don't expect any formal announcements till they decide and have something to announce..

Airmutt
04-19-2020, 08:43 PM
Well the governor’s extension of the stay safe in place order until May 26th certainly impacts. Volunteer arrivals and work typically starts in May. Are the grounds open and work parties a go?? EAA probably should make a statement.

Kyle Boatright
04-19-2020, 08:53 PM
Well the governor’s extension of the stay safe in place order until May 26th certainly impacts. Volunteer arrivals and work typically starts in May. Are the grounds open and work parties a go?? EAA probably should make a statement.

Dave, is there *that* much to do? What exactly is going on in May and Early June? I know there are work parties <refurbish the showers or...>, but my sense is that the real flurry of activity takes place pretty late in the process.

Bill Berson
04-19-2020, 09:07 PM
Decision point early May. https://eaa.org/airventure/eaa-airventure-news-and-multimedia/eaa-airventure-news/eaa-airventure-oshkosh/03-26-2020-Looking-Ahead-to-AirVenture-2020

bmckinney
04-19-2020, 09:41 PM
I would imagine they are having frequent discussions with the state authorities to ensure a way to keep patrons safe. The loss of Osh2020 would be devastating economically for the city and surrounding communities. It is literally a loss of an entire year of revenue for many of the local businesses and they will disappear.

Hold out as long as needed. If it is a go, I would bet they get many new volunteers showing up to make sure it opens on time. I along with several others from our airport, are ready to head out whenever needed if necessary.

Dave Stadt
04-19-2020, 10:00 PM
Why are no EAA officials posting any updates? Last we heard from Jack Pelton was the 26th of March where he said, "I will keep you posted". I'm sure they monitor the forums.

I hate to sound negative, but I, at this time feel that Oshkosh 2020 should not occur unless its restricted to EAA members only, no general public. Even then, we will need to take precautions. I'm sure EAA would never go for that since non EAA members infuse $$$$ to there revenue. There can be no opening day concert due to social distancing which I feel will go on well past July. Can you imagine little X's painted or taped all over the grounds 6 feet apart?

I hope I'm wrong.

Dave in Missouri

Jack Pelton said an announcement would be made in May.

Dave Stadt
04-19-2020, 10:06 PM
Dave, is there *that* much to do? What exactly is going on in May and Early June? I know there are work parties <refurbish the showers or...>, but my sense is that the real flurry of activity takes place pretty late in the process.

Outdoor work begins as soon as the weather breaks. I have been up in mid May and a considerable amount of setup was already complete. It is a huge amount of work to get structures, signs, etc. setup every year.

DaleB
04-20-2020, 06:47 AM
I hope I'm wrong.
As do I.

Sam Oleson
04-20-2020, 10:51 AM
Hello all,

As a couple of you already stated, a decision on AirVenture 2020 will likely come in May. Please check our website and/or social media channels such as Facebook or Twitter for up-to-date news. As soon as anything is officially decided, we would announce it there.

Thanks!

Airmutt
04-20-2020, 11:00 AM
So if you find the interview that Jack P did on 4/14 you’ll learn the grounds are closed and will be until at least May 26th. So there is a month’s worth of schedule lost. He’s obviously concerned about spending money only for the event to be cancelled. Also concerned about public image from a public health viewpoint.

Samuel
04-20-2020, 11:07 AM
https://youtu.be/BAs2lKWSdXg

https://youtu.be/BAs2lKWSdXg

FlyinAdamBadger
04-29-2020, 12:51 PM
On April 24, 2020, WKOW 27 provided an update on EAA AirVenture Oshkosh 2020.

Dick Knapinski, Director of Communications for EAA, says the "World's Largest Aviation Celebration" is still scheduled for July 20 to July 26 on the EAA Grounds in Oshkosh.

Knapinski says they are working with federal, state, and local health officials to assess the COVID-19 situation.

"We want to make sure it's a safe event and the health and safety of all of our guests, our exhibitors, and our volunteers are our top priority," said Knapinski. "So we'll see what the situation is by the middle of May and make the appropriate decision at that point."

Video & Article Here: https://wkow.com/2020/04/24/eaa-to-make-a-decision-about-airventure-2020-by-mid-may/