PDA

View Full Version : RV Rental Recommendations

Psojka
01-31-2020, 09:42 AM
Hi all. Thank you for letting me be a part of the forums. First post here and I'll keep it simple:

Last trip to A/V was 2016 but we didn't camp. This year we are planning on renting an RV and a full hookup camp site at Camp Scholler. I have looked at a few RV rental options and found some that even deliver and set up the unit. This would be my preferred method. I am hoping that you all can give me some good companies to look at, any to stay away from, etc...And any other helpful bits of information you've learned from your experience camping in the past would be a huge appreciation. Any kinds of info that you wished someone had told you when you first began camping at A/V... Thanks everyone! Can't wait for July to get here!

Auburntsts
01-31-2020, 10:57 AM
We're using Kunes Country RV https://www.kunescountryrvelkhorn.com/rv-rentals?iwsReferrer=google.com&iwsReferrerQS Can't speak to if they are good or bad as this will be our first time renting an RV (previously we tent camped in Scholler and the past 5 years in HBC).

robert l
01-31-2020, 02:02 PM
Not sure about this, but I seem to remember reading something about companys setting up campers/RV's for renters was not allowed. They can't come on site unless they have ticket. To be on the safe side, I would check with someone at the EAA.
Bob

krw920
01-31-2020, 03:04 PM
We're using Kunes Country RV https://www.kunescountryrvelkhorn.com/rv-rentals?iwsReferrer=google.com&iwsReferrerQS Can't speak to if they are good or bad as this will be our first time renting an RV (previously we tent camped in Scholler and the past 5 years in HBC).

Better link, this is for the same outfit, but the Neenah, WI location. https://www.happytrailsrvrentals.net/eaa-air-venture.aspx

malexander
01-31-2020, 09:12 PM
My mother rents from Van Boxtel in Green Bay. And yes, they do deliver it and set it up.

CarlOrton
02-01-2020, 08:31 AM
I believe the Scholler sites with hookups do not have sewer connections. Also, the hookup sites require you to pay the nightly rate from the moment you claim a spot. Potentially a lot of money there. I know rates vary, but I have friends who’ve paid over $1500 for a week of rv rental.

gbrasch
02-02-2020, 11:06 AM
Not sure about this, but I seem to remember reading something about companys setting up campers/RV's for renters was not allowed. They can't come on site unless they have ticket. To be on the safe side, I would check with someone at the EAA.
Bob
Outside companies have been setting up units in the campground for years, unless this has changed in the past year or so.

Psojka
02-03-2020, 12:36 PM
Thanks everyone, We found and secured a 40' Newmar RV and the company routinely sets up and picks up the unit after the show ends...Can't wait for the camping sites to open up so we can secure a spot...Anyone know what date we can begin securing camp sites?

Auburntsts
02-03-2020, 12:44 PM
Thanks everyone, We found and secured a 40' Newmar RV and the company routinely sets up and picks up the unit after the show ends...Can't wait for the camping sites to open up so we can secure a spot...Anyone know what date Scholler opens?

If I read the website right, June 26th, at least for online reservations but IIRC the campgrounds open the same day

Psojka
02-03-2020, 12:49 PM
If I read the website right, June 26th, at least for online reservations but IIRC the campgrounds open the same day

Hey, thanks for the info...I thought that was the date but wasnt 100% sure. Any idea on how fast electric/water sites last in years past? Do i need to be sitting at my computer right when they go on sale to get a spot?

Auburntsts
02-03-2020, 01:05 PM
Hey, thanks for the info...I thought that was the date but wasnt 100% sure. Any idea on how fast electric/water sites last in years past? Do i need to be sitting at my computer right when they go on sale to get a spot?

Sorry, but no idea. I've only camped in Scholler twice and both times it was in a tent at one of the unimproved sites. However, I'm confident someone with experience will chime in with the answer.

robert l
02-03-2020, 01:21 PM
I think the camp ground opens up 30 days pryor to A/V start date. There is a site, Extream Tix, that shows what sites are still available, but I think thay don't start until Scholler opens. That's the best I can tell you.
Bob

krw920
02-03-2020, 01:45 PM

Because of the cost, the electric water sites don't start really disappearing until 2 weeks before the show. You can check the reservation site from the day the campgrounds open to watch the availability of the improved reservable sites, and when they start to get claimed fairly quickly, jump in and get your reservation done.

SkipRD
02-04-2020, 07:00 AM
Because of the cost, the electric water sites don't start really disappearing until 2 weeks before the show. You can check the reservation site from the day the campgrounds open to watch the availability of the improved reservable sites, and when they start to get claimed fairly quickly, jump in and get your reservation done.
Right, that the way I did it last year. The real issue (at least for me) is how far one is willing to go in playing chicken with the availability. For several days, there were lots of sites available. Then, in one day, lots of them were suddenly gone. So I chickened out, got a site, and payed through the nose. I didn't check availability after that because I was afraid I'd only find I jumped too soon. FWIW, I got my site on July 11, even though I wasn't planning on arriving until July 21 (which is 10 days of payment for an unused site). And, of course, July 21 turned out not to happen anyway because the campground was basically a mud bog at that time. Such is the nature of the venue. But still, it was worth it. We had a great site and loved AirVenture.