PDA

View Full Version : VFR flight from france

Nlcx
09-22-2019, 11:48 PM
Hello everybody

i am a french pilot who intend to fly in thé air venture 2020 with my pipistrel sinus.

it’s an amazing adventure but sometimes difficult to prépare.

i am looking for information and expérience you can share with me

thanks for your help

nicolas l

mazdaP5
09-23-2019, 10:12 AM
I have no advice for you, but be careful and good luck!

Floatsflyer
09-23-2019, 12:56 PM
There's quite a lot of info online regarding ferrying and privately flying small aircraft across the North Atlantic as well as Youtube videos of such flights including all the preparation and operational stuff one needs to do in order to do it safely and properly.

Good luck, it's a great adventure. Let us know when you get to Oshkosh.

Jake Speed
09-28-2019, 01:59 PM
Stay home.

Jake Speed

FlyingRon
09-28-2019, 02:23 PM
I'm not reading that he wants to fly the Sinus from France to here, just that he wants to fly at Airventure (either in another plane or have his transported by other means). Perhaps if the snipes haven't scared him off, he'll come back and explain.

Floatsflyer
09-28-2019, 04:20 PM
Stay home.

Jake Speed

WTF!?

Jake Speed
09-28-2019, 05:19 PM
I'm not reading that he wants to fly the Sinus from France to here, just that he wants to fly at Airventure (either in another plane or have his transported by other means). Perhaps if the snipes haven't scared him off, he'll come back and explain.

Am I being trolled? :-)

rwanttaja
09-28-2019, 05:23 PM
Am I being trolled? :-)

Other way around, I think.

Ron Wanttaja

mazdaP5
09-28-2019, 05:48 PM
Stay home.

Jake Speed

Pure class here.

Jake Speed
09-28-2019, 06:31 PM
There's always those that believe all Threads are theirs. Why respond to my reply when it wasn't addressed to any of you?

It's an excellent reply.

Based on what I'm reading here and experiencing, it's obvious why my reply isn't appreciated.

Jake Speed

steve
09-28-2019, 07:37 PM
Stay home.

Jake Speed

Would you explain why you told him to stay home?

Jeff Point
09-28-2019, 07:39 PM
Other way around, I think.
Yep.

Jake Speed
09-28-2019, 08:09 PM
Steve,

Why should I waste my time?

The Thread has been ruined.

I know these kind very well.

Jake Speed

Floatsflyer
09-28-2019, 08:47 PM
Steve,

Why should I waste my time?

The Thread has been ruined.

I know these kind very well.

Jake Speed

Where have I seen this behaviour before? Attack, deny, dismiss, blame others, deflect, obfuscate.

Floatsflyer
09-28-2019, 08:56 PM
It's an excellent reply.

Jake Speed

Oh ya, that's it. That's where I've heard and seen this behavior before.

Time for the mods to take elimination action. The ding dong part is about to start!

gmatejcek
09-29-2019, 09:56 AM
Wow.
So, hi Nick and welcome. Despite the instant and rude response from one, you would be very welcome at our little reunion.
There is a Swiss glassair that participated for many years, a young French couple that came over in a doorless two seat aircraft that looked very much like an ultralight, and a whole flock of South African aircraft that came en mass. Most recently there was a fellow that did an around the world flight in a kitfox, I believe, timed to be in Oshkosh for the convention. John Johanson has flown around the world twice out of New Zealand, once eastbound and the other westbound, each time stopping at the convention. That's a different class of aircraft, but a good example, as is the German canard, a Defiant, I think, that made the trip at least once.
There were articles written in our magazine on all these adventures, and they should all be available through our headquarters and publications department. That should give you a good start, and I would imagine any of the folks who have gone before would be happy to share what they've learned.
ICAO controls the aviation guidance on the topic, and Document 007 is the primary source for pilots. It is mostly about air carrier operations in the flight levels, but also addresses other options. It can be found at:
https://ops.group/blog/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/NAT-Doc-007-EN-Edition-V.2018-2-Amd-0-1.pdf
The host website, Ops Group, is also a good source of current information on global operations and difficulties / outages, so you might consider them as a source for realtime and near - realtime information for your route.
The routing you would end up with would be one of the Blue Spruce routes, which adds an historic element, as these were developed as ferry routes during the second world war.
Do you research and planning carefully, and have a blast!

CHICAGORANDY
09-29-2019, 10:05 AM
As your plans progress and the event draws nearer, please post your progress. Look forward to seeing you and your plane in Oshkosh in 2020. What a splendid adventure! Best wishes from Chicago.

Nlcx
09-29-2019, 12:25 PM
hello guys

my purpose is to fly from France via UK, iceland, greenland and canada to be part of the airventure 2020. it's a 40 hours journey.

my sinus is equipped with the 100l reservoir so my range is 1000nm.

it's difficult to find info from AIP and officail so i try with fellow pilot

one of the problem is to fly VFR from France.

if you have any info or know who has made such a flight i will be glad to have a contact
best regards

nicolas l

Jake Speed
09-29-2019, 01:13 PM
hello guys

my purpose is to fly from France via UK, iceland, greenland and canada to be part of the airventure 2020. it's a 40 hours journey.

my sinus is equipped with the 100l reservoir so my range is 1000nm.

it's difficult to find info from AIP and officail so i try with fellow pilot

one of the problem is to fly VFR from France.

if you have any info or know who has made such a flight i will be glad to have a contact
best regards

nicolas l

Nick,

Please talk about your flying experience and the longest cross-country trip you have flown?

Are you IFR?

Jake Speed

Nlcx
09-29-2019, 01:40 PM
hello jake

i'm a french airline captain with 15000 hours, i'm an IFR but my aircarft is not. i'm also an type rating examiner on A320.

i'm also a glider pilot and use to make cross france flight for leisure.

kindly

nicolas l

Floatsflyer
09-29-2019, 01:52 PM
hello jake

i'm a french airline captain with 15000 hours, i'm an ifr but my aircarft is not. I'm also an type rating examiner on a320.

I'm also a glider pilot and use to make cross france flight for leisure.

Kindly

nicolas l

beautiful!!!

rwanttaja
09-29-2019, 08:02 PM
beautiful!!!

Sigh...and you a Canadian, Floats. It's "Tres joli!"

Ron "The only other words I know are dirty" Wanttaja

Jake Speed
09-29-2019, 08:13 PM
hello jake

i'm a french airline captain with 15000 hours, i'm an IFR but my aircarft is not. i'm also an type rating examiner on A320.

i'm also a glider pilot and use to make cross france flight for leisure.

kindly

nicolas l

Nicolas,

WOW! Unbelievable!

You have almost as many hours as I have. And I stopped counting.

Jake Speed

Nlcx
09-29-2019, 09:52 PM
Hello jake

i have stopped counting a Time ago but my Airline do il for me

best regards

Nlcx
09-29-2019, 09:58 PM
Hi gmate

thanks for all this info, i do not Know thé OPS GROUP very interesting reading.

flying on thé blue ferry route is part of the Dream

if you got other info, i will be glad

may be we will met in Oshkosh

kindly
nicolas

Eagle
09-30-2019, 08:24 AM
Nicolas,

Please come. It will be a pleasure to meet you in Oshkosh and make you feel welcome in the US.
A few years ago, one of your countrymen flew his homebuilt helicopter from France to Oshkosh. I don't have his contact. Perhaps you can find him.
This year, Hermann flew from Germany to Oshkosh in his RV-8. There's lots of info on how he prepared his airplane and his survival gear as well as some great pictures in this thread http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=172403
Paddy is just recently back to the US after flying to Dublin and back http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=160558
Mark has also crossed in both directions http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=99244&highlight=Greenland
Looking forward to meeting you.

Cheers, David
RV-6A KBTF
d(dot)nospamplease(at)gmail.com

Floatsflyer
09-30-2019, 10:45 AM
Sigh...and you a Canadian, Floats. It's "Tres joli!"

Ron "The only other words I know are dirty" Wanttaja

It never occurred to me to reply in French since his English is so much "gooder" than my French.

Actually the words for beautiful are belle, beau and magnifique. Joli means pretty.

Both my kids went to French Immersion school from grades 1-12. They're still bilingual.

FlyingRon
09-30-2019, 11:15 AM
OK, you've got a marginal amount of fuel to make the legs involved. The longest leg is going to be right at 500nm. At 110 knots, you are going to suffer a lot in a headwind.

In addition to the fuel, you'll need an HF radio (the legal ones are bulky/heavy, but many people make do with illegally converted ham rigs that can be alot smaller).
You'll need to get a life raft. You'll also need to figure out if you can fit into the thing with an immersion suit on.
Then legally you need a bunch of survival gear going through Greenland: flares, signal mirrors, sleeping bag, food...

Nlcx
10-04-2019, 01:04 AM
i hope that i won't have to fight against a 50kt headwind but you are right it maight be a problem.

for the safety gear i 'm working on it but it's difficult to find the list of the compulsory stuff, i have found the raft at https://www.aerosafe.co.uk/acatalog/index.html .

for the HF i thought that their was a non hf routing but i have to found the reference, forget to pick it up when i read it, but a satcom tel may be sufficient i have to check that

thanks for your info

best regards
nicolas

OK, you've got a marginal amount of fuel to make the legs involved. The longest leg is going to be right at 500nm. At 110 knots, you are going to suffer a lot in a headwind.

In addition to the fuel, you'll need an HF radio (the legal ones are bulky/heavy, but many people make do with illegally converted ham rigs that can be alot smaller).
You'll need to get a life raft. You'll also need to figure out if you can fit into the thing with an immersion suit on.
Then legally you need a bunch of survival gear going through Greenland: flares, signal mirrors, sleeping bag, food...

Nlcx
10-04-2019, 01:10 AM
hello eagle

thanks for vans info

for the helicopter trip the name of the pilot is Matthieu De Quillacq

hope to meet you there

nicolas

Nlcx
10-04-2019, 01:23 AM
i have found the reference for general aviation ops

http://www.worldairops.com/NAT/docs/NAT_InternationalGeneralAviationManual_atWorldAirO ps.com.pdf

on page 11 they give the non HF possible routing

nicolas

Eagle
10-04-2019, 10:07 AM
Nicolas,

I found this https://www.aopa.org/travel/international-travel/transatlantic which has some good information and mentions relaying position reports through airliners in the higher flight levels.

I had an email exchange with Hermann who I mentioned in post # 26. He said, "It looks like on this tour I only meet nice and helpful people and this makes me really really happy!" He's a fellow airline pilot, and I suspect that he would be glad to help with your questions on survival gear, country specific procedures, etc. If you are not able to contact him via the link, email me (post # 26 also), and I'll try to put you in touch with him.

Cheers, David
RV-6A KBTF

FlyingRon
10-04-2019, 04:23 PM
Try this site: https://xpda.com/flyingtoeurope/

Nlcx
10-06-2019, 11:32 PM
thank you david for all this info

i will contact hermann for info sure and to share his feelings.

best regards

nicolas

Nicolas,

I found this https://www.aopa.org/travel/international-travel/transatlantic which has some good information and mentions relaying position reports through airliners in the higher flight levels.

I had an email exchange with Hermann who I mentioned in post # 26. He said, "It looks like on this tour I only meet nice and helpful people and this makes me really really happy!" He's a fellow airline pilot, and I suspect that he would be glad to help with your questions on survival gear, country specific procedures, etc. If you are not able to contact him via the link, email me (post # 26 also), and I'll try to put you in touch with him.

Cheers, David
RV-6A KBTF

Nlcx
10-06-2019, 11:33 PM
thank you eagle for those info

hope to meet you some day

nicolas

Jake Speed
10-07-2019, 06:45 PM
Nicolas,

Keep in mind you'll have the flight back.

What's the useful load on that thing?

Jake Speed

Nlcx
10-08-2019, 12:16 PM
Hello jack

Usually the dominent wind is from the west so the flight back isn’t the big problem for me.

the payload of the sinus is 216kg so with 100l of gasoline and me I still have 56 kg available

best regards

nicolas

Nicolas,

Keep in mind you'll have the flight back.

What's the useful load on that thing?

Jake Speed

Jake Speed
10-10-2019, 07:15 AM
Hello jack

Usually the dominent wind is from the west so the flight back isn’t the big problem for me.

the payload of the sinus is 216kg so with 100l of gasoline and me I still have 56 kg available

best regards

nicolas

If you have an ATPL you can hop rides and get there for free. Back also, unless things have changed?

Jake Speed

Mayhemxpc
10-13-2019, 04:40 PM
What an adventure! Bonne chance! Or would "bon courage" be more appropriate for this endeavor? If you can get through all of the hurdles, legal and physical, let us know when you expect to arrive at OSH (please include a prep at your last stop before arriving.) I want to be in the Warbirds Ground tower when you arrive so I can see it!

-- Chris

Nlcx
10-16-2019, 12:27 AM
Hello chris

as you Samy you need courage to gent through thé légal stuff, regardons that thé flight will be no bis deal but certainelay a gréât adventure

i will tell thé expected Time of arrival in oshkoch

i will fly with One of my fellow airline that is to come with a mousquetaire

best regards
nicolas

Eagle
10-17-2019, 11:34 AM
Had to look this up.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAN_Jodel_D.140_Mousquetaire

Cheers, David

Nlcx
11-05-2019, 04:38 AM

hello guys

for those who want to have look at the routing

nicolas

Nlcx
04-27-2020, 11:48 AM
hello guys

hope that you are all fine

due to the covid we have to cancel our expedition for this summer, hope to meet you in 2021 at oshkosch

best regards

nicolas

mazdaP5
04-27-2020, 03:03 PM
Probably a smart move. We'll see you in 2021, bigger and better.