PDA

View Full Version : Goldwing Ultralight

rladwig
09-02-2019, 01:28 PM
So found an early 80's Godwing Ultralight near me. Looked online and found very little about this UL. I did find out that early there was some question about the spar being weak.

As a new-commer to the world of UL is this a good plane to pick up? What is a good price? It is listed for $1500. The motor is a Cuyuna 430. Add says it was never flown just built and then wind tipped it over so some fiberglass repair will need to be done.

If I do get this can you easily add a tach and altimeter? Maybe even airspeed? Ok I think I have gone on to long. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

martymayes
09-02-2019, 06:03 PM
So found an early 80's Godwing Ultralight near me.

That's pretty cool to find something like that. The original Goldwings were too heavy for Part 103. They made a lighter version that did make the cut. I doubt there are any still around with faulty spars. I'd get in touch with Craig Catto since he can probably tell you all about it.

flyrgreen
09-08-2019, 07:41 PM
Marty, he says this was built in early 80's and not flown. Sounds like a candidate for the only Goldwing still around WITH a faulty spar. And with a wind-driven tip over, sounds like the spar has had a little help getting weaker.

Rladwig-- adding airspeed & altimeter to any aircraft is no problem, they need no electric. There are airspeed instruments made for UL that don't even need panel space, they clamp to a wing strut. I don't know what kind of surprises you would have with a tach for various engines, but I suspect that Tiny Tach has a solution for most.

robert l
09-08-2019, 07:54 PM
I remember the Goldwings, just don't know anything about them, but here's my take. There are a lot of proven, tried and true ultralights that have been around for many years, I think I would feel better about picking a used U/L that still has a following, that is, forums etc. and factory support if possible. For what it's worth.
Bob