PDA

View Full Version : CPAP

Md11pilot
07-29-2019, 09:28 PM
Things are changing on our annual trip to OSH and we are actually considering camping but we are both CPAP/BIPAP users. What or how does anyone handle sleeping for a week with a CPAP or do they just suffer? Would a, if it exists, very quiet generator be allowed?

CHICAGORANDY
07-30-2019, 06:03 AM
There are a few threads on the subject already on this forum. In general some CPAP users camp in the 24hr generator areas, some bring rechargeable battery packs or a large deep cycle battery, like for fishing trolling motors. Easy enough to test at home how long a given battery choice would last without needing a recharge.

FrankLudington
07-30-2019, 06:35 AM
Another option would be to use solar panels to charge a trolling motor battery. Do not use a car battery, it won't work for long at all. The marine type batteries are not true deep cycle batteries but they are good enough. A friend up at deer camp uses cpap, and I bring a "normal" sized 24f type marine battery. Fully charged, it will run for 3 nights (without humidifier). With a 10 amp battery charger, we can recharge it in about 3-4 hours of running a generator. But using solar would be cheaper and quieter. For $150 on sale, you can get a 100 watt solar panel set from Harbor Freight. I have one for my travel trailer, works great. That should more than keep up with recharging the battery. Lots of sun at Camp Scholler.

If you do go with a generator, pay attention to the loudness specification. The smallest 1000 watt Honda EU1000i, is 42-50 dB(A). That's extremely quiet. It costs about $1000. There are others brands that are nearly as quiet for $500-600. You want an "inverter" type generator. Please DO NOT buy a $89 generator from Harbor Freight, it will be 92 dB and will annoy the cars driving down US 41, not to mention all the nearby campers.

Auburntsts
07-30-2019, 07:27 AM
I used the RockPals 300w powerstation this year at Osh and it worked great. It kept our phones/tablets charged and ran my CPAP for 4 nights before I recharged it (only charged it once at Osh). I was using a CPAP 12-volt adapter cord and not the CPAPs normal 110 power supply -- I could have as the RockPals unit has an inverter too, but that would have just wasted battery power converting to AC just to convert back to DC.

Md11pilot
07-30-2019, 01:14 PM
Thanks all

jstro
07-31-2019, 05:24 AM
I used the RockPals 300w powerstation this year at Osh and it worked great. It kept our phones/tablets charged and ran my CPAP for 4 nights before I recharged it (only charged it once at Osh). I was using a CPAP 12-volt adapter cord and not the CPAPs normal 110 power supply -- I could have as the RockPals unit has an inverter too, but that would have just wasted battery power converting to AC just to convert back to DC.

Ditto for me. I charged mine with a solar cell during the day since I used it to power a fan as well as the CPAP overnight. Really worked great.