PDA

View Full Version : What comes first? Phase 1 or ADS-B checkout?

CarlOrton
05-28-2019, 06:59 AM
I was just reading about a gent’s ADS-B install pass/fail flight testing and it made me think.

I’m currently still building my plane, so I’m positive I won’t be completed before Jan 2020. I live under the DFW class B, and my Phase 1 flights will be within the mode C veil.

Am I overthinking first flight? As in, I won’t have a validated install, but all flights after January are supposed to be with ADSB capability.

Joda
05-28-2019, 07:10 AM
Carl,

Assuming they give you a flight test area that is within the mode c veil, you will be flying within rule airspace. So your ADS-B test will just happen as a part of your phase 1 flight testing. You don't have to do anything special other than fly in rule airspace and do "maneuvering" in order to validate the ADS-B installation. You will certainly be doing both as a part of your phase 1. Mission accomplished!

CarlOrton
05-28-2019, 09:45 AM
Thanks, Joe! Just wasn't sure if, like a transponder cert, it had to be done before flight, which would have been a Catch 22.

Joda
05-28-2019, 01:36 PM
Thanks, Joe! Just wasn't sure if, like a transponder cert, it had to be done before flight, which would have been a Catch 22.

Carl,

You will need to have the standard Transponder test done before you fly the plane, but the ADS-B validation will be done in flight. Just have your local shop do the standard transponder test to get you started.

Gary.Sobek
05-30-2019, 05:35 PM
As I understand it, the Validation Test was REQUIRED for the rebate. The people that are not getting the rebate will get validated as they fly.

I am one of the lucky people that just installed ADS-B out and was required to do a validation test. AC20-165B has the requirements of what the FAA wants to see. My first validation test flight (after I had my 91.411 / 91.413 tests completed by a local avionics shop) actually failed because I only was 26-minutes in rule airspace. I miss read the requirements and flew part of the flight outside the mode C veil. The email from the FAA said they would manually validate and get back to me in 3-days. One week later, I had heard nothing so re-flew the test this time with over 1-hour in the mode C veil but part of the maneuvers were outside it. The Rebate Validation flight link failed to generate a report. I went to the public report generation sight and was able to get a report. I took the end time of the public report subtracted 15-minutes and then want back to the rebate validation website and use the time I just derived to request a report. The report came back all GREEN so I passed and there was a Rebate Request CODE to enter on the website. They say the rebate check will arrive in 4-weeks. One of my friends just got their rebate check after 8-weeks.

IF you are going ADS-B out by way of a Mode S transponder, you can see some of the info that the FAA is seeing by going to FlightRadar24.com and entering the number of the aircraft. One can see data up to 7-days old without paying a subscription fee.

Bob H
05-30-2019, 06:03 PM
Gary Sobek, please email me.
Bob hartunian
bobh5@earthlink.net