PDA

View Full Version : RV-6 Paint Job Question

rwanttaja
05-26-2019, 08:58 PM
Was whipping through some of my old (print) pictures and came across an interesting one.

At casual glance, I thought that someone had been tuft-testing this RV-6. But looking at the black lines more closely, they appear to be painted. Tape, maybe, but too many of the strips are tapered at the end.
http://www.wanttaja.com/rv_6_strips.jpg
The patterning is drastically different between the left and right wings. I realize the wing-root area is of great interest for RV fairing designers, which is why I thought this was tufting at first..

Anybody got any insights into this particular RV-6? I think the picture was taken 15-20 years ago.

Ron Wanttaja

gbrasch
05-29-2019, 08:17 AM
It looks likes something painter John Stahr would do!

rwanttaja
05-29-2019, 10:21 AM
It looks likes something painter John Stahr would do!
That might not be a bad guess. Stahr is based in Oregon, and the photo was taken at the Arlington (Washington) Fly-In.

Ron Wanttaja

gbrasch
05-29-2019, 03:46 PM
I wrote to John (he painted my plane), he said he was not the guy but the plane was painted by Randy Nagle...

Gary.Sobek
05-30-2019, 05:23 PM
The airplane is painted. It was on the Van's Aircraft Calendar one month sometime in the past 15-years. I was the safety pilot in the right seat for the photo shoot. As the safety pilot on the photo shoot, I was the one flying the airplane in formation off of the camera ship. Van's Aircraft had already relocated to Aurora and was still hosting the Homecoming at the Factory when I last saw the airplane.