PDA

View Full Version : Newbie on tent camping at Oshkosh, how do I do this properly?

dragon2knight
05-14-2019, 09:13 AM
Ok, let me start off by saying that I'm not even a pilot(yet!)and I've been dreaming of driving from NY to Oshkosh since I was 20y.o., I'm 54 now and finally have the time to do it. I'm not a rich guy, not by any stretch of the imagination, so renting a camper is out of the question. From what I've seen and read on here over the last few years, tent camping is the only affordable-ish way to do the show in it's entirety. While I haven't been camping since the Boyscouts, I'm willing to try this out----but I'm a bit skittish on it seeing on how folks with just tents are being treated on here. This is a concern for me. I'll be camping alone and with a single large tent. I plan on eating at the camp/show restaurants instead of cooking/eating on the campground as I honestly just want to do this for the show and plan on staying off the campgrounds for most of my stay there using it only really for sleeping/showering.

I know exactly nothing about camping here, and despite reading as much as I can on this forum, I'm still not very enlightened on how to even do this. Do the cars get a separate parking lot or do you set up a tent right next to it on your campground? Are there enough showering/toilet facilities there for the amount of campers that show up? I've read numerous times that this place is HUGE, any tips on where to stay to limit my amount of really long walks to said showering/toilet facilities? I figured Wednesday the week before the show to be a good time to get there to get a decent campground, is that good or earlier is better(I have the time, I'm retired)? Honestly, anyone with major tent camping experience on here giving a new guy really wanting to be there some solid advice to make my first time a good time would be really appreciated, thanks!

Auburntsts
05-14-2019, 09:47 AM
If you haven't already, check out the Camp Scholler website to get more specifics: https://eaa.org/airventure/plan-your-eaa-airventure-trip/eaa-camping-and-lodging/camp-scholler Camping, although not everyone's cup of tea, can be a blast and EAA makes it pretty painless.

1. It's "car" camping which means you park your vehicle on the campsite next to your tent.
2. There's plenty of showers, plus porta potties (which they do a great job of keeping clean). There's also camp stores where you can buy food, drinks, ice, and some misc items if you forget something. Plus there's shuttle buses to Target and Uber/Lyft if you prefer or want to go to someplace else like Wal-mart and don't want to drive.
3. Osh is huge and depending on when you show up you can be placed pretty far out, so it can be a bit of a hike to anything -- bringing a bicycle helps. IIRCyou can rent one too.

Here's a sample list of items to bring:
- Credit Card
- Tent
- Tent ground cloth
- Camping chair
- Sleeping bag or sheets/blanket and pillow
- Air mattress (real nice to have)
- Sunscreen
- Comfortable walking shoes, preferably 2 pairs (in case onepair gets wet)
- Hat
- Jacket/hoodie (the cool night temps might not be anissue for you but for us southerners, it can get uncomfortably chilly)
- Spare clothes
- Dry bag or something you can put anything in you leave in your tent that you don’t want to get wet (unless you are 100% confident in your tent -- or just leave stuff in your car)
- Shower/personal hygiene kit
- Shower shoes/flip-flops
- Towels
- Phone
- Phone Charger
- Sun glasses
- Baby wipes
- Ear plugs
- flashlight (I like the headlamp type to keep my hands free)

mc20
05-14-2019, 09:47 AM
I'll be camping alone and with a single large tent. I plan on eating at the camp/show restaurants instead of cooking/eating on the campground as I honestly just want to do this for the show and plan on staying off the campgrounds for most of my stay there using it only really for sleeping/showering.

I know exactly nothing about camping here, and despite reading as much as I can on this forum, I'm still not very enlightened on how to even do this. Do the cars get a separate parking lot or do you set up a tent right next to it on your campground? Are there enough showering/toilet facilities there for the amount of campers that show up? I've read numerous times that this place is HUGE, any tips on where to stay to limit my amount of really long walks to said showering/toilet facilities? I figured Wednesday the week before the show to be a good time to get there to get a decent campground, is that good or earlier is better(I have the time, I'm retired)? Honestly, anyone with major tent camping experience on here giving a new guy really wanting to be there some solid advice to make my first time a good time would be really appreciated, thanks!

There's tons of resources available to answer your question. The AirVenture site itself is a GREAT resource

https://www.eaa.org/airventure/plan-your-eaa-airventure-trip/eaa-camping-and-lodging/camp-scholler

Drive your car into through the camp scholler entry point. You'll be stopped by volunteers. Get out and register. You can pre-buy tickets, or buy at the window. Then drive onto the campground, find a 'spot', park your car and set up your tent next to it.

There are literally hundreds of porta potties in the campground. There are shower houses with plenty of stalls. Like anything, there are 'peak' times where there might be a crowd. I've never waited for a open shower. Look at the maps to find out where they are and keep that in mind as you drive around looking for a spot.

Yes, you can get by with only buying food rather than cooking at your site. There are several camp stores with munchies and drinks you can lug bag to the tent if you want.

Wednesday before is plenty early. You'll be able to find nice spots. Saturday and Sunday before, and you'll end up in the south neverlands. I get there Friday morning and end up in "101 woods" which is pretty nice.

Bring a bicycle. You'll never get there early enough to get a spot that is super close. Bring a folding chair to sit on. Bring lots of Deet. Bring earplugs.

Edit: Wow, the guy above me simulposted with a better response than mine! At least we didn't give contradictory information.

dragon2knight
05-14-2019, 09:56 AM
Wow, both of you guys gave some excellent advice, thanks so much! I was going to hoof it to where I needed to go, but now I'm looking into electric scooters(I can't bike, my back won't let me). Thanks again!

Auburntsts
05-14-2019, 10:18 AM
Wow, both of you guys gave some excellent advice, thanks so much! I was going to hoof it to where I needed to go, but now I'm looking into electric scooters(I can't bike, my back won't let me). Thanks again!

Ouch -- with a bad back I'd add bring a big bottle of your favorite pain killer as camping can take a toll on your body, especially if you aren't used to sleeping on the ground. I'd also say a quality air mattress (not the pool kind) just went from the nice to bring to the must bring category if your back is such you can't ride a bike. A battery powered air pump to blow it up would be a good suggestion too.

dragon2knight
05-14-2019, 10:24 AM
Ouch -- with a bad back I'd add bring a big bottle of your favorite pain killer as camping can take a toll on your body, especially if you aren't used to sleeping on the ground. I'd also say a quality air mattress (not the pool kind) just went from the nice to bring to the must bring category if your back is such you can't ride a bike. A battery powered air pump to blow it up would be a good suggestion too.

Oh yeah, I know that,lol. I've already got most of my gear and the very first thing I got, before even the tent,was a nice Coleman spring suspended cot with foam mattress :thumbsup: I've tried it out and it''s really comfy. Air mattress's and me have a long history, I just altogether avoid them now. My tent also allows me to stand up(and then some, it's a teepee style tent), that also helps with the back. I'm pretty well prepared for this, just needed to know how to actually do it, thanks again!

SteveCostello
05-14-2019, 02:30 PM
One more thing... learn how to get your tent tied down TIGHT. And then tighten it some more. Every year, without fail, there will be at least one "major" weather event that involves some pretty impressive winds and puh-LENTY of rain by the bucket load. Every time this happens, there are tales of tents rolling across the fields, someone's screen shelter blowing across the flight line, etc. If your tent only comes with those tiny little bent metal stakes, head out to an REI and buy some real stakes that stay driven into the ground.

Speaking of water, be sure you waterproof your tent seams (all of them, from top to bottom, both inside and out) before coming to OSH. Nothing worse than a wet tent. Skip the suitcase and pack pretty much everything in plastic tubs.

Jeremy S
05-14-2019, 02:51 PM
I would add bring some bug spray. One year at Scholler the mosquitoes and chiggers ate up my feet and ankles. Speaking of feet, wear very comfortable shoes and socks. I usually wear my Brooks running shoes and often walk 10 miles in a day.

+1 on some good tent stakes. I use these (https://www.amazon.com/ABCCANOPY-Galvanized-Non-Rust-Pergolas-Accessories/dp/B01AT2L34A/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=tent+stakes&qid=1557866394&s=gateway&sr=8-4).

I normally camp in the North 40 but this year I will be staying for the entire week in Scholler. I'm bringing my big 6 person Marmot tent for the extra room (I normally camp in a small 2 person tent by the plane). I usually bring food to eat breakfast at camp, eat lunch at the show, and in the evening meet up with a group of friends and visit one of the local restaurants in town. I always take my shower at night after dinner, 8-9ish, and usually the shower house is mostly empty by that time.

Congrats on finally making it to Oshkosh! 2015 was my first year and I have been back every year since :D

keen9
05-14-2019, 03:02 PM
One item I don't see in the other responses is that if you plan to use your car during your time there, bring some extra stakes and some rope or streamer to mark off your parking spot. There are not marked campsites, and while most people are polite with regard to giving some space, if it is not marked someone might think your parking space is open ground.

dragon2knight
05-14-2019, 04:43 PM
Thanks for all the great advice!! I think I might change my choice of tent if the winds get that bad. Also will definitely get some better stakes, thats easy enough. Good idea on the car spot, will also add it to the list. Glad I asked about all of this, it's gonna be really helpful!!

dragon2knight
05-14-2019, 04:47 PM
I would add bring some bug spray. One year at Scholler the mosquitoes and chiggers ate up my feet and ankles. Speaking of feet, wear very comfortable shoes and socks. I usually wear my Brooks running shoes and often walk 10 miles in a day.

+1 on some good tent stakes. I use these (https://www.amazon.com/ABCCANOPY-Galvanized-Non-Rust-Pergolas-Accessories/dp/B01AT2L34A/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=tent+stakes&qid=1557866394&s=gateway&sr=8-4).

I normally camp in the North 40 but this year I will be staying for the entire week in Scholler. I'm bringing my big 6 person Marmot tent for the extra room (I normally camp in a small 2 person tent by the plane). I usually bring food to eat breakfast at camp, eat lunch at the show, and in the evening meet up with a group of friends and visit one of the local restaurants in town. I always take my shower at night after dinner, 8-9ish, and usually the shower house is mostly empty by that time.

Congrats on finally making it to Oshkosh! 2015 was my first year and I have been back every year since :D

Thanks!! I'm really looking forward to doing this, it's been a long time coming :)

MRUSA
05-16-2019, 05:33 PM
My advice: Arrive at least two days before the official start. This will get you a better campsite closer to the flight line which will save a lot of walking every day thereafter. Also, the event is a lot of fun in the two days before. You will get to see the warplanes arrive, the mass arrivals of type clubs (Bonanzas, Mooneys, etc) which you would not see if you arrive on day one. The whole place is more relaxed on the pre-days and you will be established and comfortable by the time the major crush arrives.

dragon2knight
05-16-2019, 05:47 PM
[QUOTE=MRUSA;75554]My advice: Arrive at least two days before the official start. This will get you a better campsite closer to the flight line which will save a lot of walking every day thereafter. Also, the event is a lot of fun in the two days before. You will get to see the warplanes arrive, the mass arrivals of type clubs (Bonanzas, Mooneys, etc) which you would not see if you arrive on day one. The whole place is more relaxed on the pre-days and you will be established and comfortable by the time the major crush arrives.

Sounds good, but I'm already paid from the Wednesday before so I'll be good there :) Better early than late for sure.

gmatejcek
05-16-2019, 08:48 PM
There is a lot of really sound advice and experience in all the preceding responses. A couple ideas I'd add after 40 plus years of camping on the grounds: There is bus service within the campgrounds that will pass within a block or two of your campsite. There are trams that essentially run the length of the flight line. There is a bus to the seaplane base, which you will want to see. There is another bus to the museum and Pioneer airport, which you will also want to see. There is a narrated tram tour through the warbird area. All of these are free to use. Being close to a batch of porta pots is convenient, but if too close you will get to listen to the doors slam in the night. A little distance is good. Mobility scooters are available on the grounds. Breakfast is available in the campground at the chapter pavilion. Personally, I prefer to make a big pot of coffee at the campsite to share with cohorts and have a simple, cold breakfast for the ease of it. If your back can be an issue, some sort of small folding stool or one of those tripody folding chair / cane widgets might be nice to take with. Big hats are awesome in the sun, but I've also experienced frost. Be prepared. And yes, the usual weather pattern in that region and time of year runs a six day cycle and it's a seven day event, so plan on a cold front passing through at some point, and perhaps quite a vigorous one at that. You might wonder how I know that... I also carry a couple of the little single use, super thin, plastic disposable hooded ponchos in my backpack for wet days. Of course, if one knows which day is most likely to be wet, one can plan to spend it at the museum. An especially hot afternoon is a great time to be in an air conditioned museum, or on the lake shore at the seaplane base. The watermelon social at the seaplane base is actually a dinner and can be quite nice if you are still around come Saturday evening.
You will have a blast, want for little if anything, and find yourself surrounded by 40,000 of your closest friends. Welcome to our event!

asport22
05-16-2019, 10:28 PM
Three things -

(1) if you bring an electric scooter, think about how you are going to recharge it. There are a few outlets at the shower buildings, but they are usually full with people charging phones, drying hair, etc - and you might not want to just hang around the shower while the battery is charging. Generators can be used in the campground, but in the tent areas, only between 0600 and 2000. Also, EAA has been reducing the bike/motorcycle/scooter parking area at the Theater in the Woods entrance (which is also the only bike/scooter/motorcycle parking area) to make room for vendor/VIP car parking. That plus the fact that nobody understands that angle parking of bikes would make room for three times as many compared to the parallel method everybody uses means bike/scooter parking is a mess.

(2) Last year EAA GREATLY reduced the area available for tent camping. The majority of Scholler is now "24-hour generator" and tents are not allowed. If you are getting there early, you should be able to find a spot, but do make sure you are in an area where tents are allowed so you don't have to move. (I camp in a tent too - Oshkosh is the only place I camp, and I can't justify buying an RV just to use one week a year. I'm really unhappy that EAA has seen fit to really make it obvious that tent campers are going to be squeezed out. And yes, I did make my feelings known directly to EAA leadership - got a nice reply, but no hard evidence that any positive changes are in the works.)

(3) The busses do indeed run all over the campground - but depending on where you are, you might wait for a dozen of them to go by before one has an empty seat and stops. They all run in one direction around the same route, so they fill up on the way out from the show line, and are full way before they get to the outer parts of Scholler.

Am I negative about camping in Scholler? Yeah, kind of. (And no, last year wasn't my first time. I've been there every year since '78.) In the '80s, it was crowded, showers had no hot water, and not pleasant. Then EAA started making improvements, expanded to ease the crowding, put in more showers and at least sort of warm water, and seemed to at least sort of care about making camping in Scholler bearable. About ten years ago, the emphasis switched to catering to large motor homes, putting in roomy spaces with electric/sewer hookups, and continually expanding the 24-hour generator area. I'm sure the folks with budgets/priorities that support those motorhomes and paying for a camping spot beginning the first of June have a different view than I do.

But, it's really the only option. Motels are booked for about a 50 mile radius at insane rates, traffic in and out of the car parking is terrible, and the parking lots are as far or farther from the show than the campground. And realistically, none of it is going to get better any time soon - it's pretty much a land-locked location for an event that has grown far beyond the wildest dreams anyone had when EAA moved to Oshkosh, and now they've got so much invested there that it's highly unlikely that they will ever move.

FlyingRon
05-17-2019, 06:51 AM
As long as you're not trying to bug out as soon as the airshow is over, I've never found the traffic that bad coming off the field.

mazdaP5
05-17-2019, 03:36 PM
I've been doing exactly what you are talking about for the last 14 years. I drive in, camp in the tent, and eat all of my meals in town or on the field. Definitely rope off your camp sight, because people will try to sneak into the smallest of gaps. Bring a couple of pairs of shoes in case one gets wet, or as in my case last year, 3 pair get wet. A light backpack for carrying supplies all day, I try to be prepared and keep from walking back to camp more than once a day. Carry a light raincoat or emergency poncho, it will rain. The only trouble I really have is if the rain gets too bad, the lanes in the campground can get pretty muddy, make it tough to leave and go to town.
Have a blast, I will.

krw920
05-17-2019, 03:58 PM
Three things -
(2) Last year EAA GREATLY reduced the area available for tent camping. The majority of Scholler is now "24-hour generator" and tents are not allowed. If you are getting there early, you should be able to find a spot, but do make sure you are in an area where tents are allowed so you don't have to move. (I camp in a tent too - Oshkosh is the only place I camp, and I can't justify buying an RV just to use one week a year. I'm really unhappy that EAA has seen fit to really make it obvious that tent campers are going to be squeezed out. And yes, I did make my feelings known directly to EAA leadership - got a nice reply, but no hard evidence that any positive changes are in the works.)

To say the majority of Camp Scholler is 24 hr generator is being disingenuous at best. The 24 hour generator takes up at best 1/4 of Scholler, stretching from the corner of Elm Ave and Stits Rd to the south and west. So they have made it larger, but they also consolidated it all in one area instead of having scattered spots. They also have a very small no generator area too, but no idea how well they enforce that.

mc20
05-17-2019, 04:20 PM
They also have a very small no generator area too, but no idea how well they enforce that.

In 2017, the no generator zone on the row behind (north) of the Camp Scholler checkin building wasn't a problem. In 2018, I couldn't find a no generator zone, so I had to deal with 'em. And, too many of them keep on running 'til 11PM or later.

mazdaP5
05-17-2019, 04:22 PM
In 2017, the no generator zone on the row behind (north) of the Camp Scholler checkin building wasn't a problem. In 2018, I couldn't find a no generator zone, so I had to deal with 'em. And, too many of them keep on running 'til 11PM or later.

I bring earplugs for the tent camping.

asport22
05-17-2019, 09:58 PM
To say the majority of Camp Scholler is 24 hr generator is being disingenuous at best. The 24 hour generator takes up at best 1/4 of Scholler, stretching from the corner of Elm Ave and Stits Rd to the south and west. So they have made it larger, but they also consolidated it all in one area instead of having scattered spots. They also have a very small no generator area too, but no idea how well they enforce that.

Look at the map of Scholler on the Airventure web site and add the 24 hr generator and water/electrical sites, and compare it to the rest of the campground. Maybe it's not 80 percent, but certainly well over 50 percent.

Also, looking at the map, they have converted the area just north of Camper Registration to a parking lot. Never camped in that area so I don't know if the whole area that's now parking was available for camping before, but at any rate, it is another reduction in the area that is available for tent camping.

I think the water/electrical hookup area has been expanded as well. I don't remember the area just east of the Red Market Southwest being water/electrical hookups last year, or that it went as far east as Doolittle Road. But OI might be wrong about that. (Each of those sites generates about $2k, compared to $300 or less for most of the regular sites.) (Based on having to pay for the water/electrical sites from the date of reservation, and anecdotal evidence that most of them are reserved on the first day they are available, and most regular sites being used 10 days or less.)

jerslash
05-18-2019, 02:54 PM
Excellent list! May I suggest adding:UmbrellaRainsuit or poncho. May be a large plastic trash bag with arm and head holes.Flashlight... so that you can find your way back to camp after the nightly movies or the night airshows.Camp site sign with your name, phone and email address on it.Extra camping chairs, so that you can have visitors to share your BEER and SCOTCH!Consider flying in with C2O next year: http://www.cessnas2oshkosh.com/

mcdewey
05-20-2019, 05:11 AM
A post above talked about the transportation being free. However, I know that the bus to Seaplane base has a small fee. Bring cash.

Also, solely tent camping areas seem to be sparse and becoming more so. There are LOTS of people who make Oshkosh an RV destination; they're not really there for airplanes, but just as someplace to take the RV. They appear to come mostly for the afternoon airshows, if they go in at all. Lots and lots of kids (nothing wrong with that), the biggest issue being that they seem to be the ones driving the ATV's, mostly carelessly.

It's really only an issue when trying to find a spot, not having to listen to the generators, and making it safely back to your campsite at night.

Nonetheless, Oshkosh is awesome and all those RV people help bring income to our favorite aviation organization. :)

CHICAGORANDY
05-20-2019, 07:26 AM
I'm a tram conductor myself, and as to transportation options once at AirVenture here are all the possibilities - yes the on-site school buses and John Deere pulled trams are indeed free.

https://www.eaa.org/airventure/plan-your-eaa-airventure-trip/transportation/shuttles/shuttle-buses

Also check the maps for Uber/Lyft pickup/drop-off points.

dragon2knight
06-17-2019, 06:13 AM
Figured I needed to follow up on this one. After long deliberation (and a little bit of luck and not minding driving a bit daily) I decided to go off site and not camp. I'm getting a bit too old to bother with all the noise and possibility of bad weather....it's just not for me. I found a campground with cabins around 25 miles out (Fremont,WI), a bit far, yes, but still a good trade off for air conditioning and a private shower :) As I'm driving all the way out there from NYC anyway a few more miles of driving daily really won't bother me. My sincere thanks to all who contributed to this rather awesome thread, I hope it helped at least a few folks who can deal with the joys of camping at a huge event, it just wasn't for me.

On a side note, if anyone also can't deal with the grind of camping at Oshkosh, I have plenty of room in said cabin for up to a couple if you want. I've already paid for it and am not asking for a single penny, I just hate to see the sofa bed go unused (it's a 1 bedroom cabin with queen bed and sofa bed, separate rooms). Just PM me on here if interested. Just know it's gonna be a 25-ish mile ride both ways each day and you're on your own for that unless we carpool to save gas ;) I'm going to be there for the full week as well starting the Sunday before for check in to the following Monday for check out. Just thought I'd put this out there :)

CHICAGORANDY
06-17-2019, 06:53 AM
My motel is a 50 mile one-way run - 25 will seem like nothing. I'm interested to read your review of the cabins after AirVenture - I've seen them listed as an option on booking.com for several years now and always wondered.

I'm 70 myself and well appreciate the incredible, long lasting value of air conditioning and indoor plumbing. I don't need fancy, but when I'm out of town I demand my own private bed, toilet, sink and shower - lol A TV, fridge and microwave are simply wonderful bonuses, but not mandatory.

I figure the year I spent in-country "roughing it" in 1972 more than satiated any desire for minimalist accommodations.

dragon2knight
06-17-2019, 08:10 AM
My motel is a 50 mile one-way run - 25 will seem like nothing. I'm interested to read your review of the cabins after AirVenture - I've seen them listed as an option on booking.com for several years now and always wondered.

I'm 70 myself and well appreciate the incredible, long lasting value of air conditioning and indoor plumbing. I don't need fancy, but when I'm out of town I demand my own private bed, toilet, sink and shower - lol A TV, fridge and microwave are simply wonderful bonuses, but not mandatory.

I figure the year I spent in-country "roughing it" in 1972 more than satiated any desire for minimalist accommodations.

Hahaha, totally agree with you there :)
I've been doing campground cabins for decades, me and my former partner had one on Lake George in NY for so long I lost count for our fishing boat excursions every summer. Fancy they ain't, but they have the necessary basics covered from toilet to bed to sink. The one I'm renting here even has a refrigerator and microwave plus a TV to boot so it's as good as a hotel room. This ones right on the water as well (and they have pontoon boats for rent just in case the fishing bug bites!). I do hope someone on here bites,lol, it would be a waste of a good bed if not :)

I just realized I forgot to mention the name of the campground, it's Bluejay Resort and campground in Fremont. They have great ratings on AirBNB so I jumped at it when looking for a roof with plumbing ;)

Md11pilot
06-17-2019, 08:47 AM
Driving in and out every day? Traffic is not light but is time consuming. Daily fee to park.

Not doing it this year but no one has mentioned the Aviator Club. Expensive but three nice meals and a private viewing area for the air shows. Very nice on the last Saturday when the “rif raf” comes in...just joking.

Jesziegler
06-17-2019, 01:41 PM
Driving in and out every day? Traffic is not light but is time consuming. Daily fee to park.

Not doing it this year but no one has mentioned the Aviator Club. Expensive but three nice meals and a private viewing area for the air shows. Very nice on the last Saturday when the “rif raf” comes in...just joking.

This is why my husband and I do the Aviator Club Saturday. (A break from the Saturday rif raf.) It is expensive but a nice treat after a busy week of forums and workshops.

FlyingRon
06-17-2019, 03:06 PM
Or you can volunteer to work crowd control in Vintage. You can sit in front of the people in the VIP area and we provide water, gatorade, and mystery meat sandwiches and other snacks.

Inspector Fenwick
06-19-2019, 10:53 AM
D2K, don't laugh but if you recall the old Saturday Night Live skit (back when that show was funny)...."cheezeboogie, cheezeboogie, cheezeboogie, no fries, chips, no coke....PEPSI". If you remember that, then you know what is coming....if you need Coke for your adult beverage or all by itself....you better bring your own supply of Coke to Airventure, as it is "no Coke....Pepsi" at Airventure, too. If you are buying supplies on the grounds, or ordering at a concession on the grounds, you will have to suffer with Pepsi. Possibly that has changed but I doubt it.

FlyingRon
06-19-2019, 03:02 PM
Sponsors come and sponsors go. Oshkosh used to be a Coke show. They also had Canon as a press sponsor and Kodak (back when fill was still de rigeur). Now it's a Pepsi-Nikon show. Kodak disappeared even before the film concessions did. John Deere used to be a big sponsor but they bailed too.

I miss Canon. I'm primarily a Canon man because of what they'd do at Oshkosh. They made cameras and accessories available to borrow and even had early morning photography class. I have negs from borrowed cameras around here and when they switched to digital, they'd burn your stuff on CDROM when you brought the camera back. Being able to try-before-buy on this stuff was great (and I bought it). Nikon has never offered anything (other than what they pay the EAA for name placement).

Kyle Boatright
06-19-2019, 06:15 PM
D2K, don't laugh but if you recall the old Saturday Night Live skit (back when that show was funny)...."cheezeboogie, cheezeboogie, cheezeboogie, no fries, chips, no coke....PEPSI". If you remember that, then you know what is coming....if you need Coke for your adult beverage or all by itself....you better bring your own supply of Coke to Airventure, as it is "no Coke....Pepsi" at Airventure, too. If you are buying supplies on the grounds, or ordering at a concession on the grounds, you will have to suffer with Pepsi. Possibly that has changed but I doubt it.

My wife works on the marketing side at Coke. Basically, events like Airventure sell drink rights based on which major soft drink company offers the best financial incentive. It is all about the bucks.

I import a bunch of Diet Coke from Target (or the grocery store) every year. Several of the vendors right outside the main gate will sell you Coke products as well.

Airmutt
06-19-2019, 06:56 PM
Not to mention Aeroshell Square is a thing of the past. Courtesy cars used to be provided by GM; now look how Ford has become so entrenched.
Food services always is and has been a challenge for EAA. I liked the idea of bringing local restaurants. There was a couple of years when McDonalds showed up....I liked their system where your purchase was in whole dollars. Sure sped things up, OK maybe not fine dining.

dragon2knight
07-04-2019, 08:42 AM

Hahaha, I just got back from a short business trip and just read this! Good I don't drink soda....Pepsi is battery acid/paint thinner anyway ;)

robert l
07-06-2019, 06:08 PM
Just in case I missed it in another post, bring Sun Screen ! In 2016 I was in a 9 X13 tent with a separate 12 X 12 canopy and I think the only thing that kept the tent from blowing away was the fact that I had extra tie downs with good tent pegs and I was in the tent at the time ! The canopy didn't make it, it was secured plenty good but the top caved in from the rain and high winds. Good luck, and have a great time.
Bob

FlyingRon
07-07-2019, 08:59 AM
And bug repellent, especially if you're going out to watch the night airshow. The mosquito is the state bird of Wisconsin.

dclaxon
07-09-2019, 01:13 AM
And bug repellent, especially if you're going out to watch the night airshow. The mosquito is the state bird of Wisconsin.

No, the mosquito is the state bird of Illinois.