PDA

View Full Version : Early Arrivals OK?

Contrailing
05-04-2019, 09:32 AM
After reading so much about Oshkosh arrivals on Saturday and Sunday I’m considering flying up on Friday instead and setting up camp with my airplane. Is this allowed?

FlyingRon
05-04-2019, 09:39 AM
Saturday isn't exactly early. I usually show up Tuesday or Wednesday before and I'm not the first to arrive in our area. Note you pay for camping from the day you stake out your space through the end of the show (refundable for all the days over three you don't use).

Contrailing
05-04-2019, 09:46 AM
Are the services provided for the campers during the week also available for early arrivals?

Kyle Boatright
05-04-2019, 09:46 AM
After reading so much about Oshkosh arrivals on Saturday and Sunday I’m considering flying up on Friday instead and setting up camp with my airplane. Is this allowed?

Yes, it is allowed. EAA is planning to make more amenities available earlier this year to encourage early arrivals.

Contrailing
05-04-2019, 09:49 AM
That’s what I wanted to hear... thank you!

FlyingRon
05-04-2019, 02:02 PM
Are the services provided for the campers during the week also available for early arrivals?
Depends what you mean by services. The portolets are there. Some of the showers are open. There's pop machines. Tall Pines is serving breakfast.

But most of the other food outlets are closed. The camp stores in Vintage and the North 40 do not open until Saturday (but the two in Scholler open Wednesday).
Most everything opens Sunday (food concessions, trams, etc...).

Contrailing
05-07-2019, 10:57 AM
Good to know.. thank you.

Kyle Boatright
05-07-2019, 06:45 PM
One other thing to know. Uber and Lyft run all week. You can get to the grocery store, restaurants, Target, and a bunch of other places with a $5 ride.

mmarien
05-09-2019, 06:03 PM
I arrived Wednesday last year to beat the weather. Couldn't register for a day or two but the camp volunteers were there and the permanent showers were open. There were a couple other planes so I wasn't the first.

Kevin O'Halloran
05-09-2019, 07:47 PM
I get there the tuesday before AirVenture starts
Park the plane over in GAP
move into the house between north 40 and pioneer airport
Plenty of things to do and see that week
In fact,I think I have more fun that week than I do the week of the event
this will be my 27th year in a row to be there
Flying up next week to do a work weekend

kshaw
05-09-2019, 07:48 PM
Are the services provided for the campers during the week also available for early arrivals?Buses are not running until Saturday morning and some of the showers on North 40 are not set up but other than that, everything is available. You can often get a golf cart ride if you ask.

malexander
05-10-2019, 05:36 AM
I get there a full week before. We stay at Sleepy Hollow Farm Campground. The past couple of years, I've helped Jeff & Pam get the campground and cabins ready for the next week.

dragon2knight
05-14-2019, 07:16 AM
Does all of this apply to early non plane campers? I assume so, just wanted to be sure as I plan to get there on Wednesday myself driving in. Thanks!

FlyingRon
05-15-2019, 05:58 AM
Does all of this apply to early non plane campers? I assume so, just wanted to be sure as I plan to get there on Wednesday myself driving in. Thanks!
Schoeller has many more earlier arrivals than airplane camping. People pretty much start showing up as soon as they open the gates in late June or whatever it is. The Schoeller facilities open earlier and since most people have a vehicle of some sort, they can go off field as needed.

Jben
05-20-2019, 08:42 AM

Early arrival is permitted. The convention center area is not up and running yet but camping is available.
Fees are required. The procedure for aircraft is to park and after securing your aircraft you must check in and obtain your campsite credentials and pay for your camping for the week. You pay for prior to convention days and All days of AirVenture. If you leave early you must go up to where you checked in and then you can get a refunds for unused days. Then you depart at approved times. You can not depart during the daily Airshow. Air craft movements are restricted. Their are departure briefs you must attend. Be sure to obtain a “Oshkosh NOTAM prior to arrival and the information in this NOTAM explains all procedures. Print out the NOTAM. Look online at EAA.org for this information. Arrival procedures are required. Your local EAA Chapter members can assist you in planning your journey. Weather is something that you must be prepared to watch closely and be able to deal with for getting there and returning home. See and avoid is the primary rule to avoid conflicts with other arrivals and departures.

FlyingRon
05-20-2019, 02:38 PM
There are no departure briefings that are mandatory anymore. That requirement went away when they did away with the pre-airshow flyby pattern. It would however behoove you to read and understand the departure parts of the NOTAM.

Contrailing
05-27-2019, 10:11 AM
Good information! I just finished reading the 2019 NOTAM and think it’s pretty solid as long as no weather system fouls things up. If I do arrive on Thursday it will be a moot point anyway as it doesn’t go into effect until 0700 Friday if I’m reading it right.

Mass arrivals... are they growing in popularity or starting to be viewed as “taboo” because of the ATC disruption they may generate? Just curious.

Kyle Boatright
05-27-2019, 11:27 AM
Good information! I just finished reading the 2019 NOTAM and think it’s pretty solid as long as no weather system fouls things up. If I do arrive on Thursday it will be a moot point anyway as it doesn’t go into effect until 0700 Friday if I’m reading it right.

Mass arrivals... are they growing in popularity or starting to be viewed as “taboo” because of the ATC disruption they may generate? Just curious.

Opinion - well managed mass arrivals that take place on schedule are a good way to efficiently bring in aircraft. As far as popularity, there seem to be more of them as the years go by.

FlyingRon
05-27-2019, 12:47 PM
It was only a real problem last year as the got interrupted with bad weather and the fact that 27 got closed at the same time. It caused a bit of grief getting the rescheduled and pretty much closed down the airport for everybody else.

Some mass arrivals are better than others. The Bos do a very good job, but they have been at it longer than the rest.

Kyle Boatright
05-27-2019, 12:58 PM
Anyone else remember when a group of T-6's planned a mass arrival and didn't bother to coordinate it with anyone at Airventure?

"Um, Oshkosh Tower, flight of 50 T-6's 10 South, inbound for a mass arrival."

Oshkosh Tower: "Whaa?"

Aeromech
06-12-2019, 08:08 AM
Do we need tickets to get on the grounds for the arrivals Saturday and Sunday?

Bear
06-12-2019, 09:58 AM
Saturday, you do not. Sunday, you will need tickets to get into the grounds.

CHICAGORANDY
06-12-2019, 11:40 AM
If memory serves, the one-day wristband covers Sunday & Monday? I always have the week-long one so I'm not positive.

Wrongway Feldman
06-12-2019, 12:26 PM
If memory serves, the one-day wristband covers Sunday & Monday? I always have the week-long one so I'm not positive.

CHICAGORANDY is correct.

No admission to watch arrivals Friday, Saturday. but you have to walk into the gate, no non-credentialed vehicles after Wednesday.
Read link below:
New Grounds Access Rules Established Ahead of EAA AirVenture Oshkosh 2018 (https://www.eaa.org/en/airventure/eaa-airventure-news-and-multimedia/eaa-airventure-news/eaa-airventure-oshkosh/04-19-2018-new-grounds-access-rules-established-ahead-of-eaa-airventure-oshkosh-2018)

Last sentence Under Daily Tickets
• Purchase of admission for Monday, July 22 allows entry to AirVenture grounds on Sunday, July 21
https://www.eaa.org/airventure/EAA%20AirVenture%20Tickets

Under Frequently Asked Questions (https://www.eaa.org/airventure/EAA-AirVenture-Tickets/frequently-asked-questions)
A weekly wristband is valid for admission throughout the entire event including Sunday July 21.

Weekly Pass Dates should say (includes 7/21-7/28)
The AirVenture Fly-In convention officially starts on Monday 7/22/19

Aeromech
06-12-2019, 05:54 PM
Thanks for the info. Can't wait we will be arriving on Friday.:)

Henny
07-16-2019, 12:08 PM
Arrival procedures are required.

Arrival procedures should not be in effect prior to the date on the NOTAM, correct? So it will just be standard tower ops for arrival if getting there Wednesday or Thursday?