PDA

View Full Version : Update needs updated

lynnlpitts
04-13-2019, 01:17 PM
Is anyone awake at headquarters? The web page says to check back in 2019 for updates of concerts...well it is four and half months into 2019 and no information posted. We need to set vacation dates and accommodations for grandkids and kids. If their is NO CONCERT, just say so! Lynn Pitts EAA 49054

Floatsflyer
04-13-2019, 06:16 PM
Lynn, I'm sorry, I don't follow your thought process. Why are your vacation dates and worrying about what to do with your kids totally and unequivocally dependant on an irrelevant Monday night concert? Are you saying you won't attend Osh if the one night concert talent is not to your liking?

lynnlpitts
04-14-2019, 07:39 AM
My wife and I always go...the kids and grandkids come to see the concert...last year they vacationed elsewhere due to the concert selection. Once there, they always have a great time but the music venue is a big factor in whether they attend.

Sam Oleson
04-15-2019, 09:52 AM
Lynn, there will be a concert on the Monday night of AirVenture. We should be putting out an announcement in the relatively near future, though we can't give you a precise date at this time. Thanks for your patience.

PaulDow
04-15-2019, 01:38 PM
My guess is they need time to learn if Mick Jagger will have recovered from his heart valve operation by then. 😛

Floatsflyer
04-15-2019, 04:41 PM
Lynn, there will be a concert on the Monday night of AirVenture. We should be putting out an announcement in the relatively near future, though we can't give you a precise date at this time. Thanks for your patience.

TRANSLATION: Still don't know how much money Ford is committing so we don't know who EAA can afford.

PaulDow
04-18-2019, 01:53 PM
The press release was just issued
https://www.eaa.org/airventure/eaa-airventure-news-and-multimedia/eaa-airventure-news/eaa-airventure-oshkosh/04-18-2019-The-Fray-Animal-Years-Bring-Star-Power-to-AirVenture-2019-Opening-Night-Concert

CHICAGORANDY
04-18-2019, 03:14 PM
Well...there ya' go. Not only "The Fray", but also "Animal Years" will delight the crowd with their musical interpretations that Monday eve...... and if you wondered..NO...of course I have no flippin' idea who them folks iz. lol

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say 'musicians' ?

Hopefully they are 'cover bands' for Guy Lombardo and Royal Canadians or maybe Spike Jones?

I could be mistaken.

FlyinAdamBadger
04-18-2019, 03:34 PM
Just heard The Fray and Animal Years are coming to EAA AirVenture 2019. What a great selection!

Mayhemxpc
04-18-2019, 04:51 PM
Well, I don't come for the concert...but it does make a difference about whether and when my wife comes with the yung'uns

Tom Steber
04-18-2019, 05:25 PM
And another early evening on opening day for me. Would have liked to know what other choices they had to pick from.

Floatsflyer
04-18-2019, 08:35 PM
Would have liked to know what other choices they had to pick from.

Stones, Dylan, Kinks, Jefferson Starship, PM and Wings, Who, Country Joe & the Fish, Ten Years After, Procol Harem, The Band and the Ohio Express.

I know The Fray, they're very good but IMO, I don't believe this is the appropriate venue for their music. I don't believe their music style will be appreciated by an Osh audience.

Auburntsts
04-19-2019, 07:25 AM
For me The Fray is a middling rock band at best and although most of the time I'd watch them for free, I'd certainly never pay to see them. This year, as I have a better option occurring at the same time (the Van's RV social), I'm going to pass. Getting a marquee, tier-1 band to play OSH or pick a music genre that appeals to everyone is an exercise in futility. Dierks Bentley from a few years ago, IMO, is about as close as you're going to get and I bet his being a pilot had a lot to do with it. As to the crowd size, I think it will be about average as it appears to me that goodly portion is made up of locals who stay after the airshow for the concert so EAA probably factors that intotheir calculus vs trying to cater just to the core membership. Personally I think that's a good thing since my musical taste lean heavily towards rock, classic rock, and country and especially after reading the band suggestions that get posted in these annual concert threads. The bottom-line for us is attending OSH has nothing to do with the concert, it's just a bonus if we happen to like the acts (I personally enjoyed REO Speedwagon, Foreigner, and Dierks, and my wife and 20yr old daughter liked Dustin Lynch last year). Anyway just my $.02.

CarlOrton
04-19-2019, 09:37 AM
BEST ever OSH concert imho was Chicago, followed closely by the Beach Boy. Big Bad Voodoo Daddy played at the Ford tent one year and I will seek them out. Haven’t attended any in last many years mostly just cuz I usually have other invites. Definitely hate country or stuff I’ve never heard of. For us, the concert is a nice add on but no reason to attend. EAA is kinda like church in that they want to attract out-of-demographic (I.e., old guys) folks but who do they come to for $$$. Don’t get me wrong - I’m a chapter officer, donate, and volunteer every year, so I drink the Koolaid.

GeorgeP
04-19-2019, 08:41 PM
... The bottom-line for us is attending OSH has nothing to do with the concert, it's just a bonus if we happen to like the acts...
+1
The sole reason for attending is the flying machines and the interesting people whom I usually meet in the dining hall of the U of O (W). ;) :)

Tom Steber
04-20-2019, 09:41 AM
Many true statements. No, I've never gone because of the concert. After all, they have only been having them the last 10 years or so. This year will be my 50th in a row. For me, if there's going to be a concert, I'd rather it be someone I'd be interested in hearing/seeing. No big deal. As Carl said, it's a nice add-on. If it's not, I just get an earlier start to Tuesday.

dclaxon
05-01-2019, 09:49 AM
Off the topic of the concerts, but I see another update that needs updated. According to a February 28 news release "Fly-In Theater Lineup Extended", they have added movies on the Saturday and Sunday before opening day, but the schedule under the Features & Attractions, Evening Programming tab as of May 1 still does not show these two movies. And that is where most people will do their planning from, not reading old news releases.

Dave