PDA

View Full Version : Any Updates for Camp Scholler for 2019?

SteveCostello
03-25-2019, 08:57 AM
I had to miss last year due to my new job, but I'll be there this year, and should be there for the Friday prior all the way through the last Sunday. I'm a tent camper. 2017 was a pretty rough year for tenting... I was surrounded on three sides by people who ran generators beyond the times they were allowed. One belched noxious gases, which didn't taste so nice for breakfast.

It's starting to feel like if you don't have a decal that says "Newmar" or "Prevost" on your unit, or at the very least if your sleeping quarters don't have wheels, you don't really matter. Tenters are getting pushed out near the highway, which is incredibly loud at night, and coincidentally also tends to be the low ground... not great for tenting.

Are there any updates to make camping, and specifically tenting, less miserable? Between the generators and soppy low lands, I'm considering renting a camper this year. Which is too bad, because that means about $1,200 less money in EAA's pockets that I'm spending on renting a trailer vs. buying from vendors, food, etc.

malexander
03-25-2019, 09:46 AM
Sleepy Hollow Farm Campground just about always has tent space available. And it only 1/2 mile from the main gate.

gbrasch
03-25-2019, 10:14 AM
My understanding after volunteering in the campground for many years was that tent campers were not allowed in motorhome areas due to generator exhaust. I am surprised you were not asked to leave whatever area you were in, for your own safety.

dclaxon
03-25-2019, 01:30 PM
My understanding after volunteering in the campground for many years was that tent campers were not allowed in motorhome areas due to generator exhaust. I am surprised you were not asked to leave whatever area you were in, for your own safety.

I don't believe there are any motorhome areas as such, just 24 hour generator areas. The only place I know of that tents are not allowed is in the new "improved" areas with the electric and water hookups. Motorhomes can park pretty much anywhere they can find room, but motorhome, trailer, tent, or anything else outside the 24 hour generator area is not supposed to run them after certain hours. I would think that if someone insisted on running their generator after hours outside the 24 hr area, a call to security might be in order.

Also, I would have to review the map to verify, (and the updated Camp Scholler map for this year probably won't be available until shortly before the show opens,) but I believe there is a small area where generators are not allowed at all.

mazdaP5
03-25-2019, 04:27 PM
Tents are also not allowed in the 24 hour generator area. I'm a tenter as well, and it gets harder to find a spot every year. I had a regular spot for many years, but it became the generator area a few years ago, and I've had to find a new spot every year since.

izznsky
03-25-2019, 07:19 PM
I had to miss last year due to my new job, but I'll be there this year, and should be there for the Friday prior all the way through the last Sunday. I'm a tent camper. 2017 was a pretty rough year for tenting... I was surrounded on three sides by people who ran generators beyond the times they were allowed. One belched noxious gases, which didn't taste so nice for breakfast.

It's starting to feel like if you don't have a decal that says "Newmar" or "Prevost" on your unit, or at the very least if your sleeping quarters don't have wheels, you don't really matter. Tenters are getting pushed out near the highway, which is incredibly loud at night, and coincidentally also tends to be the low ground... not great for tenting.

Are there any updates to make camping, and specifically tenting, less miserable? Between the generators and soppy low lands, I'm considering renting a camper this year. Which is too bad, because that means about $1,200 less money in EAA's pockets that I'm spending on renting a trailer vs. buying from vendors, food, etc.

Several weeks ago, I was travelling on 41 and noticed a pile of steel on the south end of the campground. What are they up to now?

gbrasch
03-26-2019, 09:09 AM
I don't believe there are any motorhome areas as such, just 24 hour generator areas. The only place I know of that tents are not allowed is in the new "improved" areas with the electric and water hookups. Motorhomes can park pretty much anywhere they can find room, but motorhome, trailer, tent, or anything else outside the 24 hour generator area is not supposed to run them after certain hours. I would think that if someone insisted on running their generator after hours outside the 24 hr area, a call to security might be in order.

Also, I would have to review the map to verify, (and the updated Camp Scholler map for this year probably won't be available until shortly before the show opens,) but I believe there is a small area where generators are not allowed at all.

You are absolutely right, I stand corrected. Unless he was in that 24 hour gen area he should have been fine.

SteveCostello
03-28-2019, 08:10 AM
You are absolutely right, I stand corrected. Unless he was in that 24 hour gen area he should have been fine.

Sorry, I should have made that clear... I was in general camping (around Cedar & 29th, against the tree line adjacent to the field), which was not 24 hour generator.

A security guy did swing through one night, noticed the generator was running well after 10 (probably 11 at this time), and... nothing happened. The guy on the other side felt justified in running his generator(s) slightly outside of normal hours because he had the "quiet" Honda generators, and he really needed the A/C in his 5th wheel.

It's pretty frustrating that the tenters are basically being pushed out to the highway despite being in accommodations that make sleeping by a highway pretty miserable. Wearing hearing protection while sleeping is not an option for some people (I don't mind it, but my wife simply can't go to sleep with something stuck in her ears).

It's a common complaint that does not seem to be getting any traction because the $$ that campers/motorhomes bring in.

I've considered some of the other campgrounds around the area, but we visit the campsite a few times a day (lunch, dinner, refresh before the airshows, etc).

Does anyone have any experiences to share from Relleumtdats? I know it's first come, first serve, but other than that, I can't find out any information, such as any generator restrictions, how much space you get, etc.

I should add: I'm not trying to be a grump or whiner. I'd simply like to have a nice night sleep, and enjoy our camping experience without a generator belching noise and smoke next to my site. Pretty simple ask.

Bear
03-28-2019, 10:41 AM
Sorry, I should have made that clear... I was in general camping (around Cedar & 29th, against the tree line adjacent to the field), which was not 24 hour generator.

A security guy did swing through one night, noticed the generator was running well after 10 (probably 11 at this time), and... nothing happened. The guy on the other side felt justified in running his generator(s) slightly outside of normal hours because he had the "quiet" Honda generators, and he really needed the A/C in his 5th wheel.

It's pretty frustrating that the tenters are basically being pushed out to the highway despite being in accommodations that make sleeping by a highway pretty miserable. Wearing hearing protection while sleeping is not an option for some people (I don't mind it, but my wife simply can't go to sleep with something stuck in her ears).

It's a common complaint that does not seem to be getting any traction because the $$ that campers/motorhomes bring in.

I've considered some of the other campgrounds around the area, but we visit the campsite a few times a day (lunch, dinner, refresh before the airshows, etc).

Does anyone have any experiences to share from Relleumtdats? I know it's first come, first serve, but other than that, I can't find out any information, such as any generator restrictions, how much space you get, etc.

I should add: I'm not trying to be a grump or whiner. I'd simply like to have a nice night sleep, and enjoy our camping experience without a generator belching noise and smoke next to my site. Pretty simple ask.

I highly recommend this campground. :thumbsup:

http://www.sleepyhollowfarm.com/

dragon2knight
05-14-2019, 07:26 AM
Wow, now this is getting me a bit worried as this will be my first trip to Oshkosh this year and I was planning on tenting the full week plus. I'm not averse to some noise, but generators can be pretty darn loud and using them well past time limits can be very, well, wrong. Plus whoever thought pushing tents to the lowest grounds was a good idea should be fired...one rain storm and we'd be flooded out....methinks those with wheels could better handle that situation. Guess I'm just gonna have to think over my choice of where to go this year a bit more if this is how tenters are treated...sigh....I REALLY want to be there!!!

dragon2knight
05-14-2019, 08:40 AM
I highly recommend this campground. :thumbsup:

http://www.sleepyhollowfarm.com/

This campground has been fully booked since January 8th....just called and been told that. Good to know for next year, though.

mc20
05-14-2019, 09:36 AM
...I'm not averse to some noise, but generators can be pretty darn loud and using them well past time limits can be very, well, wrong. Plus whoever thought pushing tents to the lowest grounds was a good idea should be fired

There are always idiots with generators. I haven't had a problem with off hour use in the past other than one or two who just can't "remember" what the cutoff time is or "just forgot what time it is."

More of a hassle is the increasing number of generators. They're everywhere and many run all evening up to the cutoff. Some morons bring the cheapest Chinese crap with the loudest exhaust possible. Of course, they maneuver the generator on the "other" side of their camper so they don't hear it when they're sitting outside, but now it's right next to you. Three years ago, I arrived on Friday, set up camp, and about 1PM, the moron next door started up his Harbor Freight special. I tore down my camp and moved.

I wish there were large no generator zones.

In 2017, there was a nice large "no generator" zone near the checkin kiosk. In 2018, that all got converted to car parking, and there wasn't any no generator zone that I could find.

And, yes, the tents are being pushed more and more to the south to make room for the ever increasing onslaught of motor homes. It's crazy to see the size of these things and the 'estates' that get roped off around them to set up golf carts, awnings, tables, etc. No way are they in the 'standard' footprint for one camping ticket.

Whew, I sound like a grumpy old man, don't I?

dragon2knight
05-14-2019, 09:43 AM
Wow....this just sounds like a good idea to save my pennies and try for off grounds accommodations----or none at all. I'm not a camper, never was, but thought this is the only way to do the full show without going broke. As I've already bought all the camping equipment I'd need for this show, I might just give this a go anyway this year and if it's truly horrible I'll just leave. But I'm driving 1300 miles from NYC to get there and I'd hate to do that for nothing. Wow, just wow.......

Auburntsts
05-14-2019, 10:25 AM
Wow....this just sounds like a good idea to save my pennies and try for off grounds accommodations----or none at all. I'm not a camper, never was, but thought this is the only way to do the full show without going broke. As I've already bought all the camping equipment I'd need for this show, I might just give this a go anyway this year and if it's truly horrible I'll just leave. But I'm driving 1300 miles from NYC to get there and I'd hate to do that for nothing. Wow, just wow.......

So as you are discovering, there’s multiple campsite options with varying rates of availability this close to the show. And although you are planning to camp, you can also check out the various other non-camping, non-hotel options like the UW college dorms, AirBNB, etc. You still might be able to secure one of those, especially with your bad back. You can research them all from this site: https://eaa.org/airventure/plan-your-eaa-airventure-trip/eaa-camping-and-lodging/eaa-lodging

Jesziegler
05-14-2019, 10:28 AM
Don't let a few post scare you away, there are plenty of tent campers that camp right on the grounds. Check out some of the camp Scholler tours on YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHrhsMddpEc EAA has one from last year. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6YOO09DwsU. This should give you an idea how big it is.

dragon2knight
05-14-2019, 11:24 AM
So as you are discovering, there’s multiple campsite options with varying rates of availability this close to the show. And although you are planning to camp, you can also check out the various other non-camping, non-hotel options like the UW college dorms, AirBNB, etc. You still might be able to secure one of those, especially with your bad back. You can research them all from this site: https://eaa.org/airventure/plan-your-eaa-airventure-trip/eaa-camping-and-lodging/eaa-lodging

I've been checking out other off grounds choices but as expected, they are more expensive than even renting a camper for the week....so camping may be my only resource, at least for this year. Lesson learned, doing this starting in January for next year. Thanks again for all your help, it's really appreciated.
Mike

SteveCostello
05-14-2019, 02:23 PM
Wow....this just sounds like a good idea to save my pennies and try for off grounds accommodations----or none at all.

I'm the OP for this thread. While there are significant annoyances, there really isn't anything better than staying at Scholler. The access to the airshow grounds is unparalleled. I've considered off-airport accommodations, but there are *significant* trade-offs. Staying at Scholler allows you to drop by your site to freshen up, or grab lunch, or even better, grab a full dinner before the evening airshows without having to fight traffic on the way in. Speaking of traffic, it can be pretty bad in the morning getting onto the show grounds. You don't have to worry about that at Scholler.

So yes... the generators are frustrating as hell. I'm even considering renting a pop-up camper this year so that I can a) have some isolation from the piece of crap Chinese generators and b) not have to worry so much about the inevitable major weather event that strikes Osh at least once during the week. I'm still weighing that (since a week rental on a pop-up is around $1,000 or so - plus the cost for Scholler itself).

Generally, the campers are great. I just wish people were more considerate of others. I bought a small generator this year, and am looking into ways to make it quiet (well, as quiet as one can make a generator). I only intend on running it long enough to run my sous vide and occasionally charge my phone and other rechargeable batteries (flashlights, etc). That's it. No more than 30 minutes a day, generally before dinner, when there aren't that many campers around.

Anyway... hope you do come to Scholler. My site will have a blue Ram pickup, with a windsock on a pole. If you see me, stop by for a cool adult beverage and say hi!

--Steve

dragon2knight
05-14-2019, 07:17 PM
I'm the OP for this thread. While there are significant annoyances, there really isn't anything better than staying at Scholler. The access to the airshow grounds is unparalleled. I've considered off-airport accommodations, but there are *significant* trade-offs. Staying at Scholler allows you to drop by your site to freshen up, or grab lunch, or even better, grab a full dinner before the evening airshows without having to fight traffic on the way in. Speaking of traffic, it can be pretty bad in the morning getting onto the show grounds. You don't have to worry about that at Scholler.

So yes... the generators are frustrating as hell. I'm even considering renting a pop-up camper this year so that I can a) have some isolation from the piece of crap Chinese generators and b) not have to worry so much about the inevitable major weather event that strikes Osh at least once during the week. I'm still weighing that (since a week rental on a pop-up is around $1,000 or so - plus the cost for Scholler itself).

Generally, the campers are great. I just wish people were more considerate of others. I bought a small generator this year, and am looking into ways to make it quiet (well, as quiet as one can make a generator). I only intend on running it long enough to run my sous vide and occasionally charge my phone and other rechargeable batteries (flashlights, etc). That's it. No more than 30 minutes a day, generally before dinner, when there aren't that many campers around.

Anyway... hope you do come to Scholler. My site will have a blue Ram pickup, with a windsock on a pole. If you see me, stop by for a cool adult beverage and say hi!

--Steve

Will do, Steve! Thanks for the info, it's very useful. I just checked out a few places near-ish to there, and some are even cheaper than Scholler(using Airbnb), but the trip to and from equates to over 300 miles more wear and tear on my trusty old Cavalier...dont think I want to do that. I'm going Scholler for sure this year, just gonna get there really early, like Tuesday or Wednesday of the week before to get a decent spot.

rleffler
05-14-2019, 07:34 PM
I'm the OP for this thread. While there are significant annoyances, there really isn't anything better than staying at Scholler. The access to the airshow grounds is unparalleled.

--Steve

I disagree with this statement. I spent ten years camping in Scholler before I moved to HBC. Camping in HBC next to your aircraft is much better than Scholler. I like the facilities better too.

steve
05-14-2019, 08:01 PM
I disagree with this statement. I spent ten years camping in Scholler before I moved to HBC. Camping in HBC next to your aircraft is much better than Scholler. I like the facilities better too.

+1
Even the N40 is better. See you in HBC.

dragon2knight
05-14-2019, 08:42 PM

Well, I'm not going in with a plane sooooo... :confused:

SteveCostello
05-15-2019, 10:37 AM

Perhaps I should have qualified my statement with, "if you don't own an airplane."

Even then, though... I bring a lot of kit if I'm camping for a week. I'd have to have one heck of an airplane to carry it all :D

Auburntsts
05-15-2019, 10:52 AM
Perhaps I should have qualified my statement with, "if you don't own an airplane."

Even then, though... I bring a lot of kit if I'm camping for a week. I'd have to have one heck of an airplane to carry it all :D

There's options for that, besides having a large(ish) airplane (although this is a benefit of having a 4-place airplane). Some ship their gear. Others band together and rent storage space and leave their stuff at Osh year-round.