PDA

View Full Version : Adding a second throttle control for center stick aircraft.

thisadviceisworthles
11-30-2018, 05:24 PM
I'm looking for a first airplane, but I am still a student pilot. I would like something that I can recieve training in.

I have dismissed some center stick configured planes simply because they have a single throttle control (an therefore cannot be flown from the right seat). I am starting to wonder, how hard would it be to add a throttle control on the other side?

My logic suggests it would just be a matter of running a second trhottle cable, but I worry that I am overlooking something.

Mike M
11-30-2018, 06:02 PM
One may install a second throttle. It's been done.

https://proxy.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fapi.ning.com%2Ffiles%2FGsOTZj07vnG 2VAenleMl*kncuY5aARGW7BMuSRM*9npiAmbzP1qD1XOzvclSO vtgcjlMarce6asr0RG0xspkB965y6lOHEB6%2Fbuildch70145 3.jpg%3Fwidth%3D737%26height%3D552&f=1

thisadviceisworthles
11-30-2018, 06:04 PM
Is it as simple as I think it is?

TedK
12-01-2018, 11:19 AM
Many (most?) of the SOCATA Rallye (and PZL Koliber) aircraft have two “left hand throttles”.
The Left side throttle is a rod connected to a bellcrank which converts its fore and aft motion to lateral motion. There is a second Rod that goes from the left bellcrank to a bellcrank in the center. The center throttle also attaches to the center bellcrank, as does the Throttle cable which goes forward to the carb.

Ted

martymayes
12-01-2018, 03:34 PM
If it’s an e-a/b airplane, make sure you can find a CFIs and examiner willing to go along with your plan.

1600vw
12-01-2018, 03:42 PM
Is it as simple as I think it is?

Nothing in aviation is simple.

DaleB
12-01-2018, 04:53 PM
One must wonder about the reasoning behind having a single center stick without a throttle arrangement that makes it usable from either seat.

Mike M
12-01-2018, 06:34 PM
One must wonder about the reasoning behind having a single center stick without a throttle arrangement that makes it usable from either seat.

Weight, simplicity, cheap, lazy, builder wants it that way so the dolt in the other seat won't have control, you're right, one must wonder.

ahramin
12-18-2018, 10:35 AM
I'm not familiar with the FAA rules but a few years ago Transport Canada published a clarification that "Dual Controls" simply meant flight controls. Up here the instructor needs a stick and rudder pedals, not necessarily brakes and throttle. Check with your instructor before purchasing the aircraft.

In any case, adding a second throttle to an E/AB aircraft can be fairly easy. Our club put one into our CH750 by simply running a second throttle cable to the carb. Moving either one moves the throttle lever at the carb which moves the other throttle cable. As long as you leave the friction lock off the second throttle is works well and smoothly.

cluttonfred
12-18-2018, 12:06 PM
I have seen an arrangement on some European microlights with center stick in which a single throttle cable is controlled by a torque tube behind the panel controlled by levers at either end of the panel. Here is a Best Off Sky Ranger with that arrangement including the factory-stock knobs that look like golf balls because...they are golf balls! See also this earlier thread that includes both a schematic sketch and an actual construction drawing: http://eaaforums.org/showthread.php?3581-Elegant-solutions-for-dual-outboard-throttles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qU_BhSajuZo

flyrgreen
12-18-2018, 07:48 PM
As 1600vw says, "nothing in aviation is simple". And as others here are saying, it CAN be done. My little comment: when I bought a used 2004 E/AB factory-built plane, the seller showed me a 2nd throttle cable in the parts box, saying "We took it off because it wasn't working well and we had to give up after trying a few things". This is a standard coil-sheathed flexible cable attached directly to the carb. A Bing carb that is on thousands of engines worldwide.
I don't know what kind of mechanics they were, etc., but my point is it's not just a straight no-brainer.

thisadviceisworthles
12-19-2018, 08:50 AM
Based on many of the answers here, and some other information gained, I decided against this plane because adding the second set of controls was just too much. Thank you for all of your help.