PDA

View Full Version : Renewal of 3rd Class Medical after Heart surgery

crewmember
08-27-2018, 11:09 AM
I have reapplied for my 3rd class renewal after heart surgery...anyone have any experience in how long it takes the FAA to reply? All meds in order, passed tests, and was sent in by my AME, but almost three months now.

CharlieN
08-30-2018, 05:34 AM
Last year I had a 3rd class, first in a few decades, I have Diabetes now, nothing extreme but being the first time on my record I needed approval from OKC. It took 4 months for them to look at my case. It was approved with an SI which only offers 8 months for use of the medical and not the year it should be.
So once they get to reviewing your case and provide an approval they will give you one year from the original date of your exam.
Yours is a bit more complex but I doubt your AME would have submitted your med if they were not sure you were qualified to fly.
I know I voluntarily went through 8 months of every medical testing possible before going in for my class 3, all of this overseen by my AME to make sure there was nothing that could prevent approval and I am sure you have a full paper trail supporting your post surgery history ensuring you qualify.

FlyingRon
08-30-2018, 02:56 PM
That would depend much on what the surgery was and what it was treating. An AFib RF Ablation is a whole lot different than a triple bypass subsequent to cardiac ischemia.

Any deferred actions are taking a minimum of twelve weeks. There is a bit of a squeaky wheel syndrome at the FAA. Calling every other business day (Friday and the following Monday are considered consecutive) to inquire will help. Just after 8AM Central Time will give you the best chances of minimum queue time. 405-954-4821. Be nice.

Your Regional Flight Surgeon office (some are better than others) may be able to help figure out if there's anything pending that you should be working on. They helped me a lot.
https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/medical_certification/rfs/

robert l
08-31-2018, 08:39 PM
I had a couple of consulations with my Aeromed doctor and got all the paper work to him in a timley manner. He sent it off and 5 weeks later I got a letter from the FAA stating they needed more info. I've had heart stents, the last one about 5 years ago, I'm blind in one eye and I use a C-Pap. I had to do another stress test, another eye exam and another sleep study, all on my nickle. I sent them 92 pages and it was recieved on July 23rd. I had until the 25th to get in to them and I have proof it was delivered. My Aeromed doctor wanted copies of what I sent them and I told him I'm not coping all that stuff again, I just sent it in myself. It's been 6 weeks and no word so I'm just going to be paitent. But, I guess a phone call wouldn't hurt. Thanks for that number FlyingRon.
Bob

FlyingRon
08-31-2018, 09:40 PM
Three phone calls on non-consecutive days actually is supposed to help.