PDA

View Full Version : Let’s induct Bud Evans into the EAA Homebuilders Hall of Fame!

cluttonfred
07-24-2018, 02:41 PM
EAA is honoring the 50th anniversary of the iconic Evans VP-1 Volksplane at Airventure 2018, but I was shocked to learn that W. S. “Bud” Evans is not in the EAA Homebuilders Hall of Fame!

With over 6,000 sets of plans sold, hundreds of Volksplanes built and flown all over the world, the two-seat VP-2, the magazine articles, and the EVANS LIGHTPLANE DESIGNER’S HANDBOOK, former Convair engineer Evans left a rich legacy for experimental aviation.

How many people sitting on the sidelines of homebuilt aviation have been inspired by the little VP-1 to say, “Hey, even I could build that!” and start building?

If you agree, please cast your vote here to encourage EAA to honor the memory of Bud Evans in this way.

Marlhalbrook
07-25-2018, 09:47 AM
Absolutely agree!

cluttonfred
07-30-2018, 07:32 AM
Now that Airventure 2018 has come to a close, I hope to hear from more members about this proposal. What do you think? Cheers, Matthew

robert l
07-30-2018, 09:13 PM
I think it's a great idea and I would love to see some at Airventure 2019 !
Bob

TheFlyingDog
08-01-2018, 08:17 PM
Agreed. He should be recognized.

cluttonfred
08-03-2018, 12:48 AM
While I appreciate the support so far, eight votes isn't exactly a movement. Please vote if you have not done so already!

Steve H
08-03-2018, 11:24 AM
Matthew, I just got singed up for the forum, and voted "yes". This is a great idea, and non-VP folks as well as VP'ers need to get behind this. I searched the EAA site for the homebuilder shirts with the VP-1 on it that were mentioned on the VP forum, but couldn't find them. I hope it wasn't available only at Airventure.

Steve H

rwanttaja
08-03-2018, 04:23 PM
Matthew, I just got singed up for the forum, and voted "yes". This is a great idea, and non-VP folks as well as VP'ers need to get behind this. I searched the EAA site for the homebuilder shirts with the VP-1 on it that were mentioned on the VP forum, but couldn't find them. I hope it wasn't available only at Airventure.
Contact the store at EAA headquarters (the gift shop). EAA had a Fly Baby anniversary T-shirt they were selling at Airventure last year. When I came to Oshkosh a few weeks later, they still had a good selection of sizes available.

While it's good to get public support for adding Evans to the HOF, what's important is a good application to the committee. I'm not the right guy to write it, but will help to edit and polish.

Ron Wanttaja

cluttonfred
08-04-2018, 11:36 AM
Thanks, Ron, for your support. I actually submitted the nomination form (attached) and a bunch of PDFs of articles by Evans or about Volksplanes to EAA today. There isn't a specific e-mail address for Hall of Fame nominations, but I would encourage EAA members to send a message of support for Bud's nomination to membership@eaa.org, making sure to cite your member number, post to the EAA Facebook page, or just add your votes and comments to this thread. Cheers, Matthew

TedC
08-06-2018, 01:42 PM
Just voted Thumbs Up on Bud's induction!
I really do hope to build one one day, Matthew
-Ted

Steve H
08-08-2018, 06:31 PM
Thanks Ron for the suggestion...I'll give them a call on the shirt.

Steve H

rwanttaja
08-15-2018, 12:54 AM
Thanks Ron for the suggestion...I'll give them a call on the shirt.
Steve, I sent you a PM but haven't heard from you. I'm going to be in Oshkosh next week...should I try pick a shirt up for you? What size?

Ron Wanttaja

robert l
08-15-2018, 06:50 AM
Just sent an email with my suggestion to induct Mr. Evans into the EAA HOF ! Wish they had one at the museum.
Bob

cluttonfred
08-20-2018, 03:07 PM
Thanks, Bob, I hope others follow your example.
Just sent an email with my suggestion to induct Mr. Evans into the EAA HOF ! Wish they had one at the museum. Bob

rwanttaja
08-22-2018, 03:58 PM

Steve H

I visited the store at EAA headquarters today. There were no VP t-shirts, and the staff hadn't heard of them. They called the warehouse and talked to the person who orders shirts. They hadn't heard of them either. It sounds like the repoted VP t-shirts were not an EAA-sponsored product.

Have to mention that I got tremendously good assistance from the two ladies in the EAA store today.

How much interest is there in a Volksplane T-shirt? The place I had do Fly Baby t-shirts had a 12 shirt minimum, $100 artwork processing charge.

Ron Wanttaja

cluttonfred
08-24-2018, 03:42 AM
For what it's worth, I'd buy a Volksplane t-shirt! Maybe Peter Evans would allow you to use the original 3-view drawings on the back?

I'd suggest creating the artwork and just uploading to a print-on-demand site so people can order themselves, no hassle for you, and you can get a commission or just set it to $0.01 if just it's for fun. For example, I think that custom short-sleeved T-shirts on redbubble.com run about $16 + shipping.

Steve H
08-25-2018, 12:34 PM
I'm in for the Volksplane shirt! Thanks, Ron, for checking.

Steve H

Dave Prizio
08-28-2018, 11:11 AM
Instead of just posting about it someone needs to nominate him formally. The Homebuilt Aircraft Council is always looking for good nominees.

cluttonfred
08-28-2018, 12:13 PM
And some folks need to read the previous posts before replying. ;-)

http://eaaforums.org/showthread.php?8483-Let%92s-induct-Bud-Evans-into-the-EAA-Homebuilders-Hall-of-Fame!&p=72025&viewfull=1#post72025

I already submitted the nomination, I just asked members to send messages of support.

Instead of just posting about it someone needs to nominate him formally. The Homebuilt Aircraft Council is always looking for good nominees.

gbrasch
08-29-2018, 01:19 PM
Voted in the affirmative.